Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Kimbrel has zero surplus value; let's say because of the deadline and the desperation he's worth more than that by a little. You're talking a 45 FV prospect, not Andrew Vaughn.

Bryant has 1/2 a season left. What is he worth for that? Certainly not Andrew Vaughn. If those were the asking prices they would be absurd for this team to pay unless they want to resign Bryant - then go for it.

Kimbrel has way more value on the market than you think

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

If you land Kimbrel, I don't think you worry about a lefty reliever. Kimbrel, Hendriks, Kopech, Tepera is a nasty back 4 regardless of handedness.

Plus, you have ultra talented lefties Bummer and Crochet. Just gotta hope they perform at that point.

Crochet is very likely gone in this scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I like Burger but I don’t think he has as much value as some people seem to believe he does.  

I'm sure that's the case but I just don't think it's a question imo that he's a starting 3b in the league after watching him hit the shit out of the ball and play pretty damn good defense. But he doesn't have the validation of a top 100 ranking. 

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

So you were on a rant about the Sox "not hangin with the big boy contenders" the other night because teams were getting good players while we were settling on Tepara. Sox are in on a very good player, now it's "well he's paid too much, why are the Sox consuming all of that contract?" 

What rant? You mean when I had an opinion on the trade for Hernandez?

Kimbrel is an eighth inning reliever for this team. The Sox don't need to be spending 30 million a year on two relievers. You show me where the Sox have ever proven they're willing to spend enough as an organization that spending 30 million on two relievers doesn't hamper them in other areas and I'll be open to it.

Additionally I never once complained about Tepera, but good try.

If the Sox want to play in the big boy pool, maybe go spend money or assets on players who will impact more than 20 innings the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

Cease will be a lethal bullpen weapon in the postseason people.  

Might work out fine, but a tight spot to put a guy into since he hasn't done it before. Hendriks, Kopech, Bummer, if they can get Fry or Kimbrel, even if Heuer doesn't get it together, the bullpen should be OK during the postseason with more off days than the regular season.

1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

There is no way to know that 

Him being able to just let loose for an inning instead of needing to be sharp for 6?  He's got some awesome stuff anyway, but being let loose like that?  Heck look how much Reynaldo has played up out there.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kimbrel has way more value on the market than you think

Yeah this is the biggest issue. Everyone's trying to get a 3 win closer like Kimbrel. He has no real surplus value if you only care about money. But the teams after him kind of don't, they're after wins. 

If money and surplus was all teams cared about, a Burger+ for Kimbrel swap would be pretty fair. But his market is probably way beyond that right now. 

Just now, Baron said:

This makes me really happy, I was so amused at how they were seemingly trying to be ignored and just being like "SHOHEI HIT ANOTHER HOMER DONT LOOK AT OUR RECORD"

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Might work out fine, but a tight spot to put a guy into since he hasn't done it before. Hendriks, Kopech, Bummer, if they can get Fry or Kimbrel, even if Heuer doesn't get it together, the bullpen should be OK during the postseason with more off days than the regular season.

True but they'll work him into that role as the season winds down. He'd take Heuer's role and his stuff will play up even more. 

Just now, macsandz said:

True but they'll work him into that role as the season winds down. He'd take Heuer's role and his stuff will play up even more. 

Who takes the 5th spot in the rotation then?  If you say Kopech, then Cease going into the pen isn't really improving it.  Though I guess this would make some sense to maximize Kopech's innings, limit Ceases, while also getting Cease ready for that role in the postseason.  

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic