Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What rant? You mean when I had an opinion on the trade for Hernandez?

Kimbrel is an eighth inning reliever for this team. The Sox don't need to be spending 30 million a year on two relievers. You show me where the Sox have ever proven they're willing to spend enough as an organization that spending 30 million on two relievers doesn't hamper them in other areas and I'll be open to it.

Additionally I never once complained about Tepera, but good try.

If the Sox want to play in the big boy pool, maybe go spend money or assets on players who will impact more than 20 innings the rest of the season.

Kimbrel just isn’t any 8th inning guy. Adding Kimbrel makes it a 7 inning game. 

And the Sox are only paying the remaining $5 mill or so (or having the Cubs pay some salary).

I agree paying out $16 mill for an entire year for both he and Liam isn’t wise. The Sox can trade him in the off-season. 

The Sox also should want to keep Kimbrel away from other AL playoff teams. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is a dumb plan for the white sox to rely on, as it was last year. If katz is a genius with bullpen then go prove it with our bullpen pitchers.

They're not gonna "rely on this" on any level. Cease isn't gonna get starts so you deploy him as needed.  It's not complicated. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Crochet is weird to me. His numbers are good. His k-rate is more than fine. But every time he comes in, I'm a little nervous.

I would trade Crochet basically because I have a hard time believing he ever converts to a starter, and it really doesn't feel like the sox have any plans to do that either. So if he's just a bullpen guy, then...lets go use him for the best bullpen guy.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Crochet is weird to me. His numbers are good. His k-rate is more than fine. But every time he comes in, I'm a little nervous.

They aren't doing a service not sending him down to the minors and letting him actually get innings in, etc.  Than get him back up in a month. They should have done that a month+ ago to be frank.  

1 minute ago, beck72 said:

Kimbrel just isn’t any 8th inning guy. Adding Kimbrel makes it a 7 inning game. 

And the Sox are only paying the remaining $5 mill or so (or having the Cubs pay some salary). 

I agree paying out $16 mill for an entire year for both he and Liam isn’t wise. The Sox can trade him in the off-season. 

The Sox also should want to keep Kimbrel away from other AL playoff teams. 

I would have significant doubt that the Sox would trade Kimbrel in the off-season, and why would you pay the 1 1/2 year price that is heightened by the deadline demands only to turn around and trade him in the off-season and very likely get much less in return?

I get what you're saying, but this team needs to spend it's resources better given the past few off-seasons and what they've shown.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing I would like to say that appears unpopular is I would trade Crochet for Kimbrel 

I'm not trading a guy with the ceiling of Randy Johnson/Chris Sale for 25 innings of a 33 year old once great closer having a bounce back year after 2 miserable ones.  

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic