Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

Man, I gotta let this one marinate.  I LOVED Madrigal. Dude is perfect for this team.

Hopefully Hahn and Jerry are looking are the FAs this offseason and willing to spend.  Because Madrigal is a perfect complement to this team. Now we got $35M wrapped up in relief pitchers, and 2 offensive holes and a SP to fill via FA.  $160M+ payroll is going to be necessary.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

this organization is so fucking stupid

a million rps available for nothing and we buy a 16 milliln dollar closer to lose our long term 2b and heur

fuckkng stupid

Mann this is the same shit we heard in the offseason with Hendriks. Oooh colome at 8 mill is abetter deal. 

The difference between Craig Kimbrel and every other reliever was MASSIVE. I'll take any time we get the best of something, though I was very dismissive of our very own best contact hitter and will honestly miss him. Hope he kills it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoUEvenShift said:

So now that Madrigal is gone do we move Moncada back to second next year and play Burger at third?

Burger didn't look all that great at 3B imo so I say NO.

• Like 2

Just now, Quin said:

The good: The bullpen is fucking scary now. The lineup is covered. Clearly, the money will be spent.

The risk: Madrigal turns into a batting champion on the North Side and is beloved. He could also be constantly injured, make mistakes this board shredded him for, etc. and this turns into a massive win for the Sox (I say this as a Madrigal fan).

If the Sox win, I hope Nicky hits .400 every year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Man, I gotta let this one marinate.  I LOVED Madrigal. Dude is perfect for this team.

Hopefully Hahn and Jerry are looking are the FAs this offseason and willing to spend.  Because Madrigal is a perfect complement to this team. Now we got $35M wrapped up in relief pitchers, and 2 offensive holes and a SP to fill via FA.  $160M+ payroll is going to be necessary.  

That $6 mill option (or whatever) for Hernandez probably gets picked up.

16 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Hahaha yes! Totally fine with this move because they didn’t give up Crochet, Madrigal won’t be a super star (I hope) and Heuer has been underwhelming this year. Let’s fucking go! Stop whining Soxtalk!

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Fuck me. I had such a huge boner for Nicky.

Don’t worry, I’m sure someone else would be glad to do so.

Edited by The Beast

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

and at this point, there has to be concerns about his injury history.  The funny thing is Hoerner and him are basically the same player.

Yep. Nico can play CF or SS in a pinch but you don't want him playing either for an extended period. I wonder if they see him as a Ben Zobrist type.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I like Nick Madrigal and all, but he feels highly replaceable. The ceiling isn't enormous. I'm okay with this.

Well, we have Cesar Hernandez for next year at $6M now.  Pretty replaceable short term.  Beyond that we’ll see I guess. 

Just now, Tony said:

If the Sox win, I hope Nicky hits .400 every year. 

My dad LOVES Madrigal. His favor player growing up was Fox and I'm pretty sure he saw Nicky as the second coming. I just had to talk him down and walk him through the fact that you now have a Liam in the 9th, Kimbrel in the 8th, Kopech in the 7th, then Tepera / Bummer / Crochet. They're golden.

• Haha 1

Just now, Quin said:

My dad LOVES Madrigal. His favor player growing up was Fox and I'm pretty sure he saw Nicky as the second coming. I just had to talk him down and walk him through the fact that you now have a Liam in the 9th, Kimbrel in the 8th, Kopech in the 7th, then Tepera / Bummer / Crochet. They're golden.

that's the thing, he's the favorite for a lot of people that value batting average more than slugging stats

• Like 2

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

My next question is did the Hernandez deal allow them to do this one?

I doubt it, there are cesar hernandez available every offseason which is almost literally true.

If the Sox had both Kimbrel and Henricks, they could take turns, thus keeping both fresh. The competition between them would only help to keep their adrenaline flowing. 

I wrote that, before the trade was announced.

Edited by Lillian

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic