Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, I gotta let this one marinate.  I LOVED Madrigal. Dude is perfect for this team.

Hopefully Hahn and Jerry are looking are the FAs this offseason and willing to spend.  Because Madrigal is a perfect complement to this team. Now we got $35M wrapped up in relief pitchers, and 2 offensive holes and a SP to fill via FA.  $160M+ payroll is going to be necessary.  

Yeah, now instead of having to fill just one hole in RF this off-season while adding big money at RP, they have the big money at RP, and have to fill two holes.

And for everyone saying this is how you win the post-season; those dominant bullpens in KC and etc weren't taking up 25% of the teams payroll.

Makes this year more exciting, but I also can't get over how absolutely terrible Kimbrel was the past two years. The volatility of RP's make investing heavily in them so damn stupid.

• Like 2

Just shows you what the White Sox thought of Madrigal. 

A singles hitter who has does not have speed, plays average defense, and has two major injuries in two years. 

He could very well be a good player for years to come but he never had an upside of an elite prospect. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Mann this is the same shit we heard in the offseason with Hendriks. Oooh colome at 8 mill is abetter deal. 

The difference between Craig Kimbrel and every other reliever was MASSIVE. I'll take any time we get the best of something, though I was very dismissive of our very own best contact hitter and will honestly miss him. Hope he kills it.

The difference between Iglesias and Kimbrel was not at all "massive." Over the past three year sample, Iglesias has been better than Kimbrel. Has Kimbrel been lights out this year? Yes, does that mean he will be next year? No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kwill said:

Just shows you what the White Sox thought of Madrigal. 

A singles hitter who has does not have speed, plays average defense, and has two major injuries in two years. 

He could very well be a good player for years to come but he never had an upside of an elite prospect. 

there's a reason he was available the last two offseasons.  I don't think he was what they thought he'd be.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Gong to miss Nicky 2 strikes. He was good for this lineup.

Madrigal should have been our lead off for this year and the next 10. I do not like this trade. Next to Abreu Nick was my favorite Sox. This could come back and bite us in the ass. Some of our future for a maybe. A true leader for a maybe. I guess the only thing I feel negative about Nick is he does seem injury prone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The difference between Iglesias and Kimbrel was not at all "massive." Over the past three year sample, Iglesias has been better than Kimbrel. Has Kimbrel been lights out this year? Yes, does that mean he will be next year? No.

Kimbrel is the most dominant pitcher I've seen in baseball this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

hahahahahaha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, now instead of having to fill just one hole in RF this off-season while adding big money at RP, they have the big money at RP, and have to fill two holes.

And for everyone saying this is how you win the post-season; those dominant bullpens in KC and etc weren't taking up 25% of the teams payroll.

Makes this year more exciting, but I also can't get over how absolutely terrible Kimbrel was the past two years. The volatility of RP's make investing heavily in them so damn stupid.

I bet you they trade Kimbrel this offseason

Actually think it's brilliant to cut bait on Madrigal before the rest of the league realizes he's a one tool player with a fragile body.  Was always a reach at 4th overall in that draft class, but I am not a Madrigal fan at all.

• Like 4

Great move. I really liked Madrigal and he will be solid for years to come. But the Sox are going for it-without mortgaging the future, salary or young talent. 

This is the kind of trade deadline that only other teams have to put their teams in position to win a World Series. 

Hahn and front office, take a bow!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic