Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The difference between Iglesias and Kimbrel was not at all "massive." Over the past three year sample, Iglesias has been better than Kimbrel. Has Kimbrel been lights out this year? Yes, does that mean he will be next year? No.

Chances are he won't be on the White Sox next year. I don't like the trade. Igelsias would have been fine with me, and keep Madrigal. But there is no way Hendriks and Kimbrel are both on the team next season.

• Like 1

I don't want to shit on nick, really did start to enjoy him in May.

But oh man I'll never not giggle when thinking of when people were defending his early miscues because he had never played in front of fans before lolo

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

I need to get lunch. And every effing time I get lunch during a trade period there is a sox trade and I ahve to go read through takes to make sure my take is still original for my fans and it drives me crazy.

I decided to take the afternoon off and take my twins out for lunch and now am drinking beer while catching up on this trade.  This has been the best trade deadline ever.

• Like 2

My hot take is that I don't like this. I don't think Kimbrel is AT ALL a guarantee to be good for the next year and a half. Heuer was a good bet to bounce back based on his FIP/xFIP, meaning this very well may not be AS MUCH of an upgrade as the name value indicates. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, timbo8 said:

I say two or three years they move ta to second and bring up the shortstop they drafted this year

which one?  I live near scottsdale and like kath better than Montgomery 

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Wow. Did not see this coming. Madrigal was really turning it on before the injury.  Burger to third, Moncada back to 2nd?  Vaughn at 2nd?  Not a lot of value fir the #4 player in the draft.

You can find average fielding slap hitters.  Not generational closers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a fan of Madrigal and I think Codi eventually in the next year or two goes back to what he was last year but I'm happy we're going for it this year.  Trading Nick and Codi doesn't kill anything going forward and acquiring Kimbrel really helps with our chances this season.  I'm all for it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kimbrel is the most dominant pitcher I've seen in baseball this year.

And the two years prior he was worth -1 fWAR.

Relievers are volatile as all hell. Which is why giving up big time assets for them instead of just paying them/developing them internally is overly risky.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

🤔

I'm glad they did. Of the two players, Heuer may end up the better player of the two sent.

What can make this even better is if the Sox now stretch out Kopech, let him tandem with Rodon or go six man for a month, and be ready for the playoffs with Kopech stretched to start or legitimately give 2-3 + innings.

5 minutes ago, kwill said:

Just shows you what the White Sox thought of Madrigal. 

A singles hitter who has does not have speed, plays average defense, and has two major injuries in two years. 

He could very well be a good player for years to come but he never had an upside of an elite prospect. 

You think if he never got injured and kept hitting like he was hitting, that he would still have been traded?

I was a fan of Nick, but I think there's a reason there aren't very many guys like him in the majors these days. If he was an elite baserunner I'd be love him, but he is what he is and can be easily replaced at not a huge price. 

I'm fine with Hernandez for next year at the very least. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, now instead of having to fill just one hole in RF this off-season while adding big money at RP, they have the big money at RP, and have to fill two holes.

And for everyone saying this is how you win the post-season; those dominant bullpens in KC and etc weren't taking up 25% of the teams payroll.

Makes this year more exciting, but I also can't get over how absolutely terrible Kimbrel was the past two years. The volatility of RP's make investing heavily in them so damn stupid.

what a joke. Your miserable self was crying yesterday that Hahn hadn't done enough.

Now you bash him for doing exactly that. lol you're just a hater plain and simple. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 8

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic