Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

I can’t blame the Sox for allowing Madrigal to be available based on his size and injury history in his short career (no pun intended). I hope that guy has a long career and is very good. That said, I love the pitching staff and it’ll be worth it if the offense can get their shit together. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And the two years prior he was worth -1 fWAR.

Relievers are volatile as all hell. Which is why giving up big time assets for them instead of just paying them/developing them internally is overly risky.

What about the years before that? Arbitrary timeframes work both ways.

• Like 1

I think the absolute need was to improve the bullpen at the trading deadline and that is what they did.  I trust Hendriks more than Kimbrel so Liam needs to be the primary closer.....although Kopech might be more dominant that both of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't want to shit on nick, really did start to enjoy him in May.

But oh man I'll never not giggle when thinking of when people were defending his early miscues because he had never played in front of fans before lolo

I really soured on Madrigal until he started hitting for power before he got hurt. He's still not that fast and probably a little limited at 2B defensively, but his hit tool was amazing. Had we gotten Bryant along with Kimbrel I would have loved this trade. For Kimbrel alone, I think it makes us legit favorites this year in the AL, but we probably had to overpay to really wow the Cubs and get this done.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And the two years prior he was worth -1 fWAR.

Relievers are volatile as all hell. Which is why giving up big time assets for them instead of just paying them/developing them internally is overly risky.

He sucked coming in after sitting out a half season, and no spring training with COVID. 

2 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Plot twist: We are trading for Story as well

That would make me come around to this deal

or if they sign a star next offseason 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

one thing ... if there is any bit of salt ... the price for Kimbrel woulda been a lot less this offseason ...

wish we pushed down that pedal when money was thin and teams were scared about revenue/fans. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man in the playoffs the Sox can run a guy out there like Bummer/Kopech/Kimbrel out there in the 5th or 6th inning, and not have to worry about the bridge work.

Bummer and Marshall have been chokers this season. Watch them under pressure as they start to hyperventilate under pressure. They act like they do not want the ball

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I can see Benetti going to Marquee next year, definitely won't be satisfied with just six games of Nicky Two Strikes per year.

Trade for Nick Solak....that should appease Jason....by the way did you know that Solak was a local kid??

• Haha 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic