Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Man in the playoffs the Sox can run a guy out there like Bummer/Kopech/Kimbrel/Crochet out there in the 5th or 6th inning, and not have to worry about the bridge work.

This pen is sick, LFG win this thing!

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

oh, only 1/2 half of a season matters for relievers?

You could have had Kimbrel, this past off-season, for a bag of balls.

I mean, honestly yes, I only care about what a pitcher is at the moment we trade for them, this i slike that dumbass argument that Reynaldo lopez was better than Joe Musgrove because of 2018 in the offseason.

And you also just happen to be talking about maybe the one relief pitcher in baseball that has been a fixture for a decade except for a season where he tried to hold out into the season and was terrible, and the covid season, where there was a lot of weird issues. SO taking Craig Kimbrels 3 year sample, in particular, is rich.

But I wouldn't care anyway, because we are getting him for what he looks like now. Everybody knows the deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, upsoxfan said:

Bummer and Marshall have been chokers this season. Watch them under pressure as they start to hyperventilate under pressure. They act like they do not want the ball

That’s why Bummer can pitch in the 5th or 6th inning when a couple lefties are coming up. Literally the White Sox just need a tie game through 7.

• Like 1

Without a doubt, adding Kimbrel improves the Sox this year and sets them up for the playoffs.

Looking years down the road at who “won” this trade, or what the Sox will do in the off-season for the 2022 roster, let’s save for another day and enjoy this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Huge overpay, Madrigal is going to be such a stud. Before he got injured he was looking so good at the plate. I feel awful about this trade. And Heuer has potential as well...oh well...

Based on....?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I just, I don't know... It's a lot of money tied up in a lot of short-term, high risk value. The only other team in recent history that decided to dump this much money into the back-end of their bullpen is the fucking Rockies, and we're dumping money AND player talent into it.

I think there's a good reason that the progressive teams sell off good bullpen pieces every year and seem to find a way to make new ones out of thin air. There are methods for maximizing raw stuff, but these guys typically don't have enough tricks to make it last very long. I know Kimbrel has made a whole career of it, but he also looked completely destroyed for the two season prior to this. Once again, the Sox are making an upgrade, but doing it in a very inefficient way with a fiscal policy that doesn't have much room for inefficiency.

I just hope it works.

3 minutes ago, upsoxfan said:

Bummer and Marshall have been chokers this season. Watch them under pressure as they start to hyperventilate under pressure. They act like they do not want the ball

Marshall is probably never coming back.  Bummer is fine and you are overreacting to a SSS coming back off of injury.

3 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Hot take, this is fucking stupid. Gave up our starting 2B for the next five years minimum. 

Yeah he was solid, but who cares... he'll hit 300 and not strike out, but 90% of the time hit singles.... his slugging will hover around 400 for his career... MAYBE

Edited by Soxnfins
  • Like 2

The sox having cost controlled position players and SP allowed them to be dumb with the bullpen when they needed it for a playoff push. That's fine.

What will keep them competitive in 2025 is that they chose cespedes and colas over a real intl class, AND/OR shirley is a bad scouting director. 

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Huge overpay, Madrigal is going to be such a stud. Before he got injured he was looking so good at the plate. I feel awful about this trade. And Heuer has potential as well...oh well...

If he stays healthy he is going to have a great batting average, a modest WAR, and basically never strike out. He will probably be a fan favorite too. 

But we got Kimbrel. Still would have liked to see Bryant included somehow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Hot take....he would have still been probably their 7th or 8th best offensive weapon

And Kimbrel could easily turn back into the pumpkin he was before. I think it’s any overpay and one we will regret. Hope there’s a better solution to 2B forthcoming. 

madrigal as the 7th or 8th best offensive weapon speaks to the strength of the lineup, not Madrigal as a weakness. 

• Thanks 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic