Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

And we got Cesar for next year too if we want so no it didn’t open another hole, at least not until 2023.  

And worst case, if there keep being 2B available at the deadline like Cesar, Escobar, Schoop at minimal cost, you’re really not losing much even if we have to scramble a bit in two years. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Yeah might as well go for it now. 

agreed, can't go into the playoffs with a Engel/Goodwin platoon. None of the beats have said the Sox close out the deadline with Kimbrel so hopefully it happens

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Without a doubt, adding Kimbrel improves the Sox this year and sets them up for the playoffs.

Looking years down the road at who “won” this trade, or what the Sox will do in the off-season for the 2022 roster, let’s save for another day and enjoy this season. 

Exactly. Too much bitching on this board thinking they can give up AAA pitchers for Kimbrel.

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

I think the absolute need was to improve the bullpen at the trading deadline and that is what they did.  I trust Hendriks more than Kimbrel so Liam needs to be the primary closer.....although Kopech might be more dominant that both of them.

tenor.gif

image.png

16 minutes ago, beck72 said:

Great move. I really liked Madrigal and he will be solid for years to come. But the Sox are going for it-without mortgaging the future, salary or young talent. 

This is the kind of trade deadline that only other teams have to put their teams in position to win a World Series. 

Hahn and front office, take a bow!

Aren’t they literally doing that by trading Madrigal?

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Can't emphasize it enough, it's great for this year.

Trading Heuer at the bottom point of his value and maybe Madrigal with value down due to injury could suck too.

I am so torn on this deal. I would have felt better had we added Bryant somehow. 

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just, I don't know... It's a lot of money tied up in a lot of short-term, high risk value. The only other team in recent history that decided to dump this much money into the back-end of their bullpen is the fucking Rockies, and we're dumping money AND player talent into it.

I think there's a good reason that the progressive teams sell off good bullpen pieces every year and seem to find a way to make new ones out of thin air. There are methods for maximizing raw stuff, but these guys typically don't have enough tricks to make it last very long. I know Kimbrel has made a whole career of it, but he also looked completely destroyed for the two season prior to this. Once again, the Sox are making an upgrade, but doing it in a very inefficient way with a fiscal policy that doesn't have much room for inefficiency.

I just hope it works.

I mean the dodgers paid kenley jansen $80 million and the yankees pump a shit ton into their pen. It's not ideal, but you kinda need more than trusting in regression when you are in midseason.

59 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a vesting option.  He has to finish 55 games this year or he gets a $1M buyout. He's currently at 35.  The weird '20 season may have automatically triggered the option but I think we would have heard that.  

It converts to a club option. 

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

tenor.gif

image.png

I'll take Hendriks all day everyday as well. People love focusing on like 30-40 inning samples for relievers and deciding that's who is better. It's absurd. Last year Codi Heuer was unhittable for a 35 inning stretch, this year no one trusts him. Hendriks has been way more consistent and the walks are still scary for Kimbrel.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't really care what 28 year old Kimbrel did. He's 33 going on 34. Guys who age typically don't permanently return to their peak years.

So you only care about the part that fits your argument. Gotcha.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Look guys, we don’t get unlimited chances. We have Rodon this year who’s pitching incredible. You don’t know how some of these guys do in future seasons let alone if they’ll even be there.

look at what happened to the Cubs “dynasty”. Sometimes you need to shoot 

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic