Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get that, and I'm not saying I'd give Rodon 85 million - ftr, pretty concerned about paying up big for one year. But the point was more about investing heavily in a position player or SP that impacts a much greater inning load than a set up man. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face; The White Sox are not some fiscally lenient organization that can afford the luxury of overpaying two bullpen arms as a luxury. If they prove me wrong this off-season? Awesome, but until it happens I will never trust them to do so because they never have.

The Sox know their financial situation better than any of us.  If they are willing to add this to the payroll, they know what they are doing.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but the best way to win 1 world series is to maximize your playoff appearances. The best way to win a roll of the craps dice is to roll the dice more than once.

I think it increases their chances this year, but by how much? Who can say.

I think it potentially decreases their chances next year and beyond.

What would you rather have done? Pay Kimbrel 16 million next year, or give Rodon 85 million over 4 years? Based on the Sox spending habits, they certainly won't be doing both.

Just as I absolutely hated investing our primary off-season resources in a closer, I absolutely hate investing our primary trade assets in a bullpen arm, but that doesn't mean it doesn't improve their chances this year; which is great.

I actually sorta disagree with this. While it's not 100%, you also can't miss your chances when you have them. The Cubs, the Astros - yeah they went several times, but the years they won...they went big. Chapman for the Cubs, Verlander and a trash can for the Astros. 

Since nobody ever praises my good posts and only bring up Anderson to catcher I have to start by saying I told you Sox would DEFINITELY acquire bullpen help.

As far as what's happening, Sox are doing what real contenders do, make moves at the trade deadline. So far this has been good. Got bullpen help that actually drastically improves the team's chances and second base help that also improves the team's chances of winning the AL pennant if not the WS.

I would say these moves for sure have improved the Sox odds of avoiding some sort of collapse this season (the Royals series was alarming) and believe it or not improving chances of reaching the WS and maybe winning it. Now the new players have to perform of course and injuries have to abate a bit but the Sox now are worth betting on again to possibly win it all.

Good job White Sox. Your team got older but a significant bit better on paper the last couple days.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What big prospects did the Dodgers trade for Jansen?

And to use the Dodgers, they made the horrible trade of sending maybe the best young hitter in baseball to the Astros for a rental reliever. A deal I bet they wish they never made.

Resources are resources. You were complaining about the contractual pricetag, just minutes ago, it's not hard to follow.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox know their financial situation better than any of us.  If they are willing to add this to the payroll, they know what they are doing.

I told some on here that Tony was saying the first month of the season that the Sox were going to go crazy at the deadline, assuming COVID restrictions eased up.

Just now, Capn12 said:

I've been really surprised at the downstreak of the top of the order, all at the same time. It has really been on display, this road trip. Hopefully, being back home, against CLE, after these moves showing that we're in it to win, will get things going again.

It really is crazy how they have fallen off....was Grandal that key to the offense??

Just now, daggins said:

Yeah assuming Cesar doesn't completely crater (and possibly even if he does) that 6M option is a no-brainer now.

no. Guys. There is a cesar hernandez available every year. He was like the 12th best 2b available last year. He's fine, he's nice. We don't need to do this, there won't be a lack of interesting 2bs. He very well may not make 6 mill in the open market!

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

If you want to talk about payroll...every series you get in the postseason is huge value in terms of ticket sales for next year. Going home in the ALDS to the Astros as a 3 seed, with 1 home game - sells some tickets next year. Up 3 games to 2 in the ALCS coming back home for game 6 - that's a packed ballpark next May.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Come on... this can't be serious.

This is the same team that had to put sun glasses on to hide their shock of being "outbid" for Manny Machado.

The Sox do not deserve the benefit of the doubt on spending money until they actually spend money.

• Like 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If you want to talk about payroll...every series you get in the postseason is huge value in terms of ticket sales for next year. Going home in the ALDS to the Astros as a 3 seed, with 1 home game - sells some tickets next year. Up 3 games to 2 in the ALCS coming back home for game 6 - that's a packed ballpark next May.

And these additions will also add to the excitement at the park this year.

• Like 1

I personally think Madrigal is going to be a good ballplayer (even though I was against his being drafted by the Sox) and that actually seems like a good fit for him but I do approve of the trade cause it makes the team better. I feel like standing pat this time meant an early exit in the playoffs again. We shall see. I'm hoping Sox have a stellar postseason in them.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wegner said:

It really is crazy how they have fallen off....was Grandal that key to the offense??

Maybe so, more than we knew. He was really great at generating RBI opportunities, for sure.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Come on... this can't be serious.

This is the same team that had to put sun glasses on to hide their shock of being "outbid" for Manny Machado.

The Sox do not deserve the benefit of the doubt on spending money until they actually spend money.

THEY JUST DID.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Now its widenopen for a Moncada position switch next year. It has to happen

No chance. I'm down on Yoan as much as anyone right now, but he is a natural at third, and was....shaky at best, at second.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Resources are resources. You were complaining about the contractual pricetag, just minutes ago, it's not hard to follow.

Resources are not all treated equally by different organizations. 80 million to the Dodgers is like 25 million to the White Sox.

And from the other angle, controllable assets are much more valuable to the 25 million team than the 80 million team.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I actually sorta disagree with this. While it's not 100%, you also can't miss your chances when you have them. The Cubs, the Astros - yeah they went several times, but the years they won...they went big. Chapman for the Cubs, Verlander and a trash can for the Astros. 

Mookie betts.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

no. Guys. There is a cesar hernandez available every year. He was like the 12th best 2b available last year. He's fine, he's nice. We don't need to do this, there won't be a lack of interesting 2bs. He very well may not make 6 mill in the open market!

Tommy La Stella got 3/$18.75 from the Giants. He has 1 season in his career worth more than 1 rWAR. Cesar is a 2 win player every year. That option is a no-brainer unless he gets hurt.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Resources are not all treated equally by different organizations. 80 million to the Dodgers is like 25 million to the White Sox.

And from the other angle, controllable assets are much more valuable to the 25 million team than the 80 million team.

Gotta move with the times.  It is one thing to argue 5 years ago that the Sox can't draft and develop high level position players.  Now they are doing it.

We can go back to 2018 and before for all of the evidence we want, but today changes things.

• Like 1

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic