Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL, after the Kimbrel acquisition, the White Sox now have the 14th highest payroll in baseball.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

The Sox just added a $16 million reliever to this roster, and you aren't sure if they are going to spend.  I think that last line is telling on yourself at this point.

1 minute ago, zisk said:

I wonder if the Sox made this trade because of Hendricks soul crushing homer on Wednesday. He really is a moron.

Heck of a good arm but too stupid or stubborn to adjust to the situation at hand. 

The part that makes him good (thinking he can beat anyone) also makes him do some stupid shit. Remember when he threw McKenna, the guy who couldn't touch his fastball just the day before, a slider and then gave up the game tying homer to Mancini? Liam has amazing stuff, but he's not completely unhittable. He's way too susceptible to homers because of poor pitch selection. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Gotta move with the times.  It is one thing to argue 5 years ago that the Sox can't draft and develop high level position players.  Now they are doing it.

We can go back to 2018 and before for all of the evidence we want, but today changes things.

I have no idea what you're trying to argue. The Sox just added 6 million in salary; they didn't sign some 100 million dollar contract. Their payroll is league average still while being all in.

And if the Sox are spending 32 million on relievers next year with a 150 million dollar payroll, they're morons.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

But you said this:

"I think there's a good reason that the progressive teams sell off good bullpen pieces every year and seem to find a way to make new ones out of thin air. There are methods for maximizing raw stuff, but these guys typically don't have enough tricks to make it last very long. """"

Certainly for the Rays, this is true. But the Dodgers are progressive and decided not to let kenley jansen go and get a comp pick but instead sign him for a 6 year deal or whatever. 

I guess...if the sox did this in the offseason - did the rockies thing - I'd hate it. But, there needs to be some maximizing each season that happens, and stretching when that's needed. 

It is disappointing that we needed to use major league ready assets because we already had no farm. But the sox were in particular hit badly by the loss of a real 2020 draft, imo, and they do seem to be trying to straighten it out quick, but could fail because they are completely unproven there.

I would have preferred madrigal and heuer turn into trea turner, it's definitely better use of resources. But I also just want them to take seriously each year. And trading a true 2nd baseman and a RP aren't the profiels I'm scared of trading away.

The Dodgers did it once, it was locking up their own guy, and it was at a rate that doesn't stop them from doing anything else. The White Sox have just done it twice with Hendriks and Kimbrel, and it was acquiring another team's guy at peak value, and they have something like a quarter of their payroll tied into it. I'll admit that you found an exception that doesn't quite fit the mold I laid out for success, but I don't think it disproves the general rule, and I think the Sox (in this manner, buying bullpen pieces at peak value in lieu of other upgrades) look more like the Rockies two years ago with their strategy than they look like the Dodgers.

But I do agree with the need to put the pedal down. I'm not asking for them not to be aggressive, I just see them repeatedly being aggressive in ways that don't feel like the best choice available.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

LOL, after the Kimbrel acquisition, the White Sox now have the 14th highest payroll in baseball.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

And the 6th highest guaranteed payroll for 2022.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox just added a $16 million reliever to this roster, and you aren't sure if they are going to spend.  I think that last line is telling on yourself at this point.

The White Sox spent 54 million on a closer this off-season and they entered the year with the 16th highest payroll in baseball. Literally nothing about this acquisition proves the White Sox are going to open up the pocket books.

The White SOx had like 25 million to spend this entire off-season (yearly) and spent 80% of it on a reliever. The White Sox haven't exactly proven to be intelligent with their allocation of limited resources.

• Like 1

Resources are not all treated equally by different organizations. 80 million to the Dodgers is like 25 million to the White Sox.

If progressive organizations are smart because they know relievers are fickle and just fodder to trade high on because they are so smart, then it doesn't matter if the Dodgers have a 1 billion dollar payroll, they decided to hand out the second highest contract ever to a reliever, and a long-term one. Or they should have traded him at the deadline before, they could have just relied on finding velo from a lesser arm. 

But even progressive organizations have decided to pay high prices for relievers despite them being completely fungible.

The scene,  two hip cats JR and TLR  swinging around the piano singing . . .

People seem to find
And how they're in a hurry
To complicate their minds
By chasing after money
And dreams that can't come true
I'm glad that we are different
We've better things to do
May others plan their future
I'm busy loving you
One, two, three, four
Shah-la, la-la-la-la live for today
And don't worry 'bout tomorrow hey, hey, hey
Live for today
We were never meant to worry
The way that people do
And I don't need to hurry
As long as I'm with you

The White Sox spent 54 million on a closer this off-season and they entered the year with the 16th highest payroll in baseball. Literally nothing about this acquisition proves the White Sox are going to open up the pocket books.

The White SOx had like 25 million to spend this entire off-season (yearly) and spent 80% of it on a reliever. The White Sox haven't exactly proven to be intelligent with their allocation of limited resources.

Subtle shift there. 

57 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The difference between Iglesias and Kimbrel was not at all "massive." Over the past three year sample, Iglesias has been better than Kimbrel. Has Kimbrel been lights out this year? Yes, does that mean he will be next year? No.

Using down years from Kimbrel to suggest he’s not literally a top three reliever in baseball is quite the take.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not a good day to complain about Sox payroll, LOL. Proof is in action and Sox spent some money today. Though I am against prices of stuff at the ballpark paying for salaries, Sox have spent some cash this day.

I just can’t imagine actually being upset at this. You gave up an injury prone, slap hitting, base running dumb, second baseman for perhaps the best reliever in baseball.  Who now allows you the luxury of having starters go 5 innings in the playoffs and let the three-headed-hydra shut it down from there. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

no. Guys. There is a cesar hernandez available every year. He was like the 12th best 2b available last year. He's fine, he's nice. We don't need to do this, there won't be a lack of interesting 2bs. He very well may not make 6 mill in the open market!

Or converting one of the multiple SS’s on the market to second…some already playing both.  Not dreaming over the $100+ million guys, of which two in addition to the real headliners this coming offseason are listed.

Simmons, Gregorious, Semien, Baez, Schoop, etc.

90% it’s Hernandez barring a complete collapse, although you have to watch his age decline.

Poppy still alive?

Or Burger to second, haha.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic