Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

TV is up 123%, have to imagine the crowds keep steady too.  The $$ from fan support is there.

That’s a bit misleading when you go from below a 1 to 2+ over the course of two seasons.

Surprised we didn’t at least get Hoerner back, though.

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Tommy La Stella got 3/$18.75 from the Giants. He has 1 season in his career worth more than 1 rWAR. Cesar is a 2 win player every year. That option is a no-brainer unless he gets hurt.

and jonathan schoop is the same, and he gets 1 year deals. And jose iglesias is the same, and he gets 1/2 year deals. These guys pretty much do grow on trees.

La Stella got 3 for 19 because he was a tremendous hitter with nick madrigal contact rates but power, and showed it in the half a season prior, and then the covid season. 

2 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I just can’t imagine actually being upset at this. You gave up an injury prone, slap hitting, base running dumb, second baseman for perhaps the best reliever in baseball.  Who now allows you the luxury of having starters go 5 innings in the playoffs and let the three-headed-hydra shut it down from there. 

Sure seems like team is copying the Royals' two year run with the three-headed hydra. I can't deny those 3 guys "should" be amazing the next two seasons in that 7th, 8th, 9th role. And one of the hydra can easily pitch two innings.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Using down years from Kimbrel to suggest he’s not literally a top three reliever in baseball is quite the take.

Not sure what this means at all, but the fact that even "top three reliever in baseball" was bad the two years prior kind of proves how risky it is to invest heavily in relievers, no?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Honestly who the fuck decides you need two 33+ year old closers for 29 million

Who decided you need an oft-injured slapdick 2B during your World Series window?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Goober said:

Honestly who the fuck decides you need two 33+ year old closers for 29 million

Sox history has been the highly paid ones like Koch and Robertson are dubious investments.

You can look at every guy we’ve used going back to Roberto Hernandez and almost none came to the Sox as payroll leaders…almost all under the radar types.

Which makes sense for a mid-market team to do.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Not sure what this means at all, but the fact that even "top three reliever in baseball" was bad the two years prior kind of proves how risky it is to invest heavily in relievers, no?

Invest heavily only comes down to money, and over the last 2 years, my worries and frustrations about the Sox not spending aren’t really there anymore. 

5 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I just can’t imagine actually being upset at this. You gave up an injury prone, slap hitting, base running dumb, second baseman for perhaps the best reliever in baseball.  Who now allows you the luxury of having starters go 5 innings in the playoffs and let the three-headed-hydra shut it down from there. 

Who wasn't going to contribute any more in 2021, either.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or converting one of the multiple SS’s on the market to second…some already playing both.  Not dreaming over the $100+ million guys, of which two in addition to the real headliners this coming offseason are listed.

Simmons, Gregorious, Semien, Baez, Schoop, etc.

90% it’s Hernandez barring a complete collapse, although you have to watch his age decline.

Poppy still alive?

Or Burger to second, haha.

See everyone? Me and caulfield on the same side, how could i be wrong. 

shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Which is wild, since you could argue that Heuer/Madrigal is as good as the Rizzo package, and they ate all of Rizzo's contract to get those prospects back from the Yankees.

I must have missed where Rizzo has a team option for next year

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Who decided you need an oft-injured slapdick 2B during your World Series window?

Rick Hahn, because he thought they would have more than enough power everywhere else.

That said, the defense, speed and baserunning were not what we were promised.  Then the injuries, dating back to OSU.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Invest heavily only comes down to money, and over the last 2 years, my worries and frustrations about the Sox not spending aren’t really there anymore. 

Not only are they investing heavily in money, but they also invested heavily in assets.

That's a large investment.

And this will be my last post on the topic, but reach out to me when the White Sox actually prove they're going to spend real money. They spent huge on a closer this off-season and it didn't mean shit when it came to opening up their pocket books. The Sox bullpen was viewed as the strength of this team pre-season and it's been trash because bullpens are volatile and investing a big % of your chips into that bucket is not an efficient or intelligent strategy imo.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic