Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s a theoretical overpay (ignoring trade deadline implications), but honestly I’m ok with it if this suggests we’re going to spend some money to replace Nick in the offseason.  Kimbrel basically gives us the best playoff bullpen while also allowing Kopech to serve as rotation insurance.  May be a big price to pay, but not sure there is a more impactful move we could have made for the 2021 season.

Sox aren't going to pay for a 2B in the offseason.  They'll pick up Hernandez $6M option and go cheap in RF.  Sox will be paying the bullpen between $45-50M. 

If this move means the Sox are now playing with the big boys in the $175M+ payrolls - we good.  But I refuse to believe that until I see it.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m confused though. Is it also a club option if he doesn’t meet those numbers? 

sportac lists it as this: 

• 2022 Vesting/Club option includes a $1M buyout
  • 22:$16M club option ($1M buyout)
  • 2022 option is guaranteed 1) with 110 games finished in 2021-22 combined, including 55 GF in 2021, and 2) if Kimbrel does not suffer a non-temporary injury

Would be cool with this move if I felt we have a World Series caliber team, but I don’t believe we do. Too many questions marks. They are really banking on Grandal, Luis, and Eloy to comeback and be healthy/impactful the rest of the way which is nowhere near a guarantee. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Well, I’m sad to lose Nick as I just really enjoyed his game, but the thought of our pitching now in the playoffs, both the bullpen and the starting rotation, is truly very exciting.  Like, dominating exciting.  

That’s very optimistic from you.

I guess on the day of any trade, it’s always easiest to see the upside rather than the downside once they begin to perform.  The drafting of Madrigal being a perfect example there where hype exceeded results, by and large. 

I think the Sox might be down on the Ability of nick to add any power or develope into a plus defender. 

Remember when he was drafted most reports thought he was a plus defender plus they thought he has a chance to become a 12-15 HR guy which would have been an extremely valuable player. 

His hit tool was as advertised but defense was spotty and he didn't show any power although it at least was more doubles this year. 

If he is a fringe average defender who hits 4 homers a year even a 300 average is not that valuable especially if you only walk 5-6%. 

He still probably is a 2 war 2b man but the Sox probably think they can find that on the open market. 

So are they allowed to turn around and shop this guy since he was highly sought after?  If so they should see what they could get.  Some closers don't adapt if this is a guy for the 8th.  Sox do not have the best of luck with NL arms.   

The other big unknown is how Kimbrel reacts in a set-up or tie game role…

For most closers, not that well.  Slightly different mentality at play.

Obviously with KC, Holland was the man and it shifted to Wade Davis over their window, with Escobar always coming before those guys in the 7th or 8th along with a lefty depending on matchups.

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

I think the Sox might be down on the Ability of nick to add any power or develope into a plus defender. 

Remember when he was drafted most reports thought he was a plus defender plus they thought he has a chance to become a 12-15 HR guy which would have been an extremely valuable player. 

His hit tool was as advertised but defense was spotty and he didn't show any power although it at least was more doubles this year. 

If he is a fringe average defender who hits 4 homers a year even a 300 average is not that valuable especially if you only walk 5-6%. 

He still probably is a 2 war 2b man but the Sox probably think they can find that on the open market. 

I think Nick showed he can be better than that with the bats this year, even from the eyes of a skeptic he was absolutely driving the ball whether or not it went out of the park.

But you've got a major wrist injury in 2018-2019, a major shoulder injury in 2020, and a major hamstring injury in 2021. That's a guy who you would say "we need to pick up Cesar Hernandez's option just to have some insurance" if he were your penciled in 2022 starter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Would be cool with this move if I felt we have a World Series caliber team, but I don’t believe we do. Too many questions marks. They are really banking on Grandal, Luis, and Eloy to comeback and be healthy/impactful the rest of the way which is nowhere near a guarantee. I hope I’m wrong. 

Sox have the nucleus if they can stay healthy as u say. Time to seriously revamp our training staff. Guys are falling left and right. If Sox are going to win, health is key as well as Abreu, Moncada, Timmy and Eloy going nuts the rest of the way. Time for them to bash the baseball and quit being so tentative.

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

what a joke. Your miserable self was crying yesterday that Hahn hadn't done enough.

Now you bash him for doing exactly that. lol you're just a hater plain and simple. 

Hi, 911, I'd like to report a fire...

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic