Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

Just now, greg775 said:

Sox have the nucleus if they can stay healthy as u say. Time to seriously revamp our training staff. Guys are falling left and right. If Sox are going to win, health is key as well as Abreu, Moncada, Timmy and Eloy going nuts the rest of the way. Time for them to bash the baseball and quit being so tentative.

Obviously health is the main issue. I just don’t anticipate all three of Luis, Eloy, and Grandal to come back 100% healthy and play at their peak. You also have to anticipate more injuries to the team. And with either age or lingering COVID effects impacting Abreu, I just don’t see this lineup carrying us deep into the playoffs. A lot of 3-2 losses. I really hope I’m wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re making assumptions about their financial situation going forward and I’d argue it’s hard to imagine they make this move if there is not sizable payroll increase coming.  Both attendance & ratings are way up this year and Jerry has historically sported top 10 payrolls (or better) when the fans have showed up.  That’s not to mention that playoff revenue is all but a certainty at this point.  I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re planning on a major push for Semien or something of that nature this offseason.

Giving Semien 3-5 years is scary. It pretty much wipes out Giolito and Anderson staying beyond 2023 and 2024. Because our 2 closers, Abreu, Grandal and Keuchel are soaking up way too much payroll space.  And soon enough, Moncada.

For just 1-2 years, definitely fine with Marcus.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't really care what 28 year old Kimbrel did. He's 33 going on 34. Guys who age typically don't permanently return to their peak years.

Holy fuck...dude has a 100 percentile xwOBA.  He’s legit the real deal and has the track record to support it.  Guys are capable of having a bad season without it being predictive of anything.

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Why are we arguing about money. Who cares.....

The Sox are making moves to try to win a championship 

In case you haven't noticed, money is a big fucking deal in building a winning roster.  Want to be ignorant about it?  That's your call.  But its a huge factor. 

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don't think madrigal has anywhere near the ceiling Torres does and did. And while that trade hurt, it was Quintana that killed them

Of course he doesn't. Comparing Torres and Madrigal, especially the Torres of 2015 is like comparing apples to bowling balls. 

I see very scenarios where trading Nick Madrigal comes back to "haunt" the Sox...

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

Madrigal posted a 112 ops+ in his first 300 ABs, people who think he is bad are morons

Madrigal is a really good player and this is a steep price to pay no doubt.  I think it’s fine to be concerned if this is the right move long-term, but people trying to argue that Kimbrel is an insignificant upgrade for the 2021 season is laughable.  I know you’re not arguing that BTW, but just seems like a handful of posters are downplaying Kimbrel’s potential impact because they don’t like the price.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Madrigal is a really good player and this is a steep price to pay no doubt.  I think it’s fine to be concerned if this is the right move long-term, but people trying to argue that Kimbrel is an insignificant upgrade for the 2021 season is laughable.  I know you’re not arguing that BTW, but just seems like a handful of posters are downplaying Kimbrel’s potential impact because they don’t like the price.

I think there is a component of people not be ready for the next phase of White Sox baseball. It was a rude awakening for people. You spend years talking about "the core" and the future, what potential lineups will look like, etc......Nicky was in all of them. Obviously not on the same impact level of guys like Eloy, Moncada, Robert, Gio, etc.....but a guy that was in everyone's lineup. There is some shock to the system when you remove that. It wasn't part of the plan. 

But we're here now. They built a team that is running away with the division and considered one of the World Series favorites. These are the type of moves teams in those positions make. It's go time. And in my opinion, and the opinion of Hahn and Kenny.....Craig Kimbrell helps the Sox get closer to another World Series more than Nicky does. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think the Cubs got a better offer than 3 win 2B under control for the next five years and a controllable reliever with back-end stuff?

I have to imagine they got better offers for sure.  They got a good to very good 2B and a relief pitcher. Contrast this deal with the Chapman deal.

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Here’s a legitimate question for everybody:

Everything else being equal, how much different are our chances to win the World Series this year with Hernandez at 2B instead of Madrigal?

Presumably you mean "If Madrigal was healthy" right?

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Here’s a legitimate question for everybody:

Everything else being equal, how much different are our chances to win the World Series this year with Hernandez at 2B instead of Madrigal?

Considering Madrigal can't play this year due to injury?  I am going to say better.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think there is a component of people not be ready for the next phase of White Sox baseball. It was a rude awakening for people. You spend years talking about "the core" and the future, what potential lineups will look like, etc......Nicky was in all of them. Obviously not on the same impact level of guys like Eloy, Moncada, Robert, Gio, etc.....but a guy that was in everyone's lineup. There is some shock to the system when you remove that. It wasn't part of the plan. 

But we're here now. They built a team that is running away with the division and considered one of the World Series favorites. These are the type of moves teams in those positions make. It's go time. And in my opinion, and the opinion of Hahn and Kenny.....Craig Kimbrell helps the Sox get closer to another World Series more than Nicky does. 

This

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic