Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Well so far the result has been “Now LaRussa can save Hendriks to pitch once a fortnight.” So if LaRussa is still stuck in the “these guys can only pitch in a save situation” and would rather lose games with Ruiz on the mound, even when Hendriks really needs work, maybe I was wrong. These guys don’t help you if the first time they pitch in the playoffs is in the 8th inning of an elimination game when the team is already down.

With a 10.5 game lead I don't see the problem with keeping Hendricks fresh for the post season, over the last few weeks people were criticising the team for not resting Rodon who is now on the IL. In the post season Kimbrel and Hendricks will be pitching more than the "8th inning of an elimination game when the team is already down" and pitchers like Ruiz will rarely be seen. The Kimbrel trade was made with post season in mind not a Wednesday night game in August which whilst annoying to lose is pretty irrelevant in the big picture of a deep post season run.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And how many games have we lost this year while the middle or even mop up relief pitchers come into tight games, while the good guys are saved for situations that never happen?

I assume you would rather burn out Hendricks and Kimbrel now to win a Wednesday game in August when we have a 10.5 game lead rather than have them fresh for October?

18 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

I assume you would rather burn out Hendricks and Kimbrel now to win a Wednesday game in August when we have a 10.5 game lead rather than have them fresh for October?

Except that they haven't thrown that many innnings. They're a long way from getting burned out. Plus, this was the 6th inning, where those guys wouldn't have been in anyway. Kopech, Bummer and Tepera were all available and better options.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Except that they haven't thrown that many innnings. They're a long way from getting burned out. Plus, this was the 6th inning, where those guys wouldn't have been in anyway. Kopech, Bummer and Tepera were all available and better options.

You're right, but as I said it was a nothing game in August and if pitchers like Ruiz aren't fit to be ever used what is the point of having them filling up a roster spot? I know we all want the WS to win every game and play their best team every game that is not practical or possible, sometimes you need to utilise the squad, especially when the division is pretty much safe barring a monumental screw up.

5 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

You're right, but as I said it was a nothing game in August and if pitchers like Ruiz aren't fit to be ever used what is the point of having them filling up a roster spot? I know we all want the WS to win every game and play their best team every game that is not practical or possible, sometimes you need to utilise the squad, especially when the division is pretty much safe barring a monumental screw up.

No team has 8 relievers who are all good enough to be used in high leverage situations. Ruiz is who you put in when you're up or down by more than 5 runs.

Also, they aren't "nothing games" Given the Sox home/road splits, home field advantage is really important. I get that you can't use your best guys 100% of the time, but you can use them in the 6th inning of a tie game and still find time to keep them plenty rested.

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

No team has 8 relievers who are all good enough to be used in high leverage situations. Ruiz is who you put in when you're up or down by more than 5 runs.

Also, they aren't "nothing games" Given the Sox home/road splits, home field advantage is really important. I get that you can't use your best guys 100% of the time, but you can use them in the 6th inning of a tie game and still find time to keep them plenty rested.

Ok maybe calling it a nothing game is over doing it a bit, but last night's game wasn't lost by the pitchers giving up 1 run, it was the hitters failing to muster even one run against a team that has been leaking runs, and a pitcher who has hardly been lights out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

How many off days does Hendriks need between outings? He will have last pitched 6 days ago during tonight’s game. He’s pitched twice in August. If he lost tonight game, you could legitimately say it was because he was rusty.

Just now, Chimpton said:

Ok maybe calling it a nothing game is over doing it a bit, but last night's game wasn't lost by the pitchers giving up 1 run, it was the hitters failing to muster even one run against a team that has been leaking runs, and a pitcher who has hardly been lights out.

And yes, the hitters always play a role. But two things - get into the 10th inning and it becomes Manfredball, with a free RISP. And second, there were some quality pinch hitters available late even if guys were resting most of the game.

Just now, Chimpton said:

Well, the manager leaving out 3 of the top hitters while facing a pitcher who had recent success against the Sox is just as bad of a decision as pitching Ruiz in the 6th.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Arent you keeping track of all of these follies?  Please tell us how many more games they should be up by your estimation.  

I stopped counting in June because it hit double figures. if they won 1/3 of these games that should have been tossups, they have the number 1 seed right now. 

I checked in the game thread yesterday and the White Sox have the 4th worst record in baseball in 1 run games, Baltimore, Arizona, and Miami are worse. The White Sox have a bullpen substantially better than those teams, there is zero reason for them to be that bad in right games. This is telling us again something about how badly they are being used. If they were a .500 team in 1 run games, again they have a 1.5 game lead for the #1 seed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Well, the manager leaving out 3 of the top hitters while facing a pitcher who had recent success against the Sox is just as bad of a decision as pitching Ruiz in the 6th.

Well yes I was surprised to see the line-up yesterday, but even so you would kind of hope that those who were picked are capable of 1 run in 9 innings.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I stopped counting in June because it hit double figures. if they won 1/3 of these games that should have been tossups, they have the number 1 seed right now. 

I checked in the game thread yesterday and the White Sox have the 4th worst record in baseball in 1 run games, Baltimore, Arizona, and Miami are worse. The White Sox have a bullpen substantially better than those teams, there is zero reason for them to be that bad in right games. This is telling us again something about how badly they are being used. If they were a .500 team in 1 run games, again they have a 1.5 game lead for the #1 seed.

Either that or it shows a worrying lack of mental toughness amongst the players in tight games either way it is not a good statistic especially as postseason games are likely to be close run things.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just as concerning is the 15-19 record against teams over .500, but maybe the two things are linked.

1 minute ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I'll say once and I'll say it again...
Until this team goes 162-0 and every game is a no-hitter, this board will find something to complain about.

😂

#WelcomeToSoxtalk

I can’t wait for them to blitz through this tough part of the schedule like that road trip in 2000.  Shut everyone the eff up and grab that 1 seed.  

Pretty much back to being the team with the most talent hands down.  It’ll win out in the macro.  Sit tight. 

• Like 1

If the Sox play their cards right they may be able to re-acquire Madrigal via trade in the off season. The Sox should offer Crochet and Sheets for Madrigal. My guess is the Cubs won't think it's good enough. The Sox may have to substitute Kopech for Crochet. Guys like Madrigal, who will might hit .300+ annually for a decade, don't grow on trees.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerry McNertney said:

If the Sox play their cards right they may be able to re-acquire Madrigal via trade in the off season. The Sox should offer Crochet and Sheets for Madrigal. My guess is the Cubs won't think it's good enough. The Sox may have to substitute Kopech for Crochet. Guys like Madrigal, who will might hit .300+ annually for a decade, don't grow on trees.

If the Cubs had been willing to take Crochet and Sheets for Kimbrel instead of Madrigal, that would have been the trade that happened.

I really like Madrigal, but he's gone now so I'm going to focus on the team we have going forward.

28 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I'll say once and I'll say it again...
Until this team goes 162-0 and every game is a no-hitter, this board will find something to complain about.

😂

#WelcomeToSoxtalk

They still didn't hit enough home runs!

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Do you cross reference that with the games where he made the correct move and it worked out or does that not matter 

13 minutes ago, Jerry McNertney said:

Gonna have to let that dream go, the Lollipop kids moved north 

• Quin locked this topic