Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

i'm drunk and I hate this fucking trade now.  unless the sox win the WS this year despite kimbrel this move is a bust.

We're going to wish we could go back to that 2018 draft and take someone like Logan Gilbert instead.

Especially when the 2023 season rolls around and we're looking for another second baseman.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

i'm drunk and I hate this fucking trade now.  unless the sox win the WS this year despite kimbrel this move is a bust.

Yeah. It’s always been dumb. Trading long term cheap control over a 3 war floor 2B for an over paid reliever is fucking dumb. Not to mention adding Heuer who had a decent chance to be close to as good as Kimbrel the next 18 months anyway, and a potential future closer. It was a bad trade and it will get worse. Would be nice if Kimbrel would stop giving up runs and at least do his part. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah. It’s always been dumb. Trading long term cheap control over a 3 war floor 2B for an over paid reliever is fucking dumb. Not to mention adding Heuer who had a decent chance to be close to as good as Kimbrel the next 18 months anyway, and a potential future closer. It was a bad trade and it will get worse. Would be nice if Kimbrel would stop giving up runs and at least do his part. 

Obviously it’s not automatically dumb (buying high, selling low) if he’s the same 0.50 reliever he was with the Cubs.

But the probability of changing roles seamlessly wasn’t that high.

Kimbrel has been in a rhythm as a closer and that’s now disrupted, while Hendriks is naturally going to start hearing footsteps when there’s a potential HoFer getting paid even more than him on a yearly basis to close out games. 

Just as important is the opportunity cost impact of not having that extra money next year to add insurance (beyond Reynaldo) and to support the 7th inning (losing Tepera and then Kopech to starting, already lost Heuer.)

Of course, Tepera was also a guy anyone in baseball could have picked up for “free” in November, 2019. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2021 at 5:15 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Bump 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

My reaction to the trade included the following two words: “fuck me”.

Really hope that things turn around but it’s looking grim. Madrigal is gonna be a beast too. :(

a beast? 🙄

I didn't like the trade but I doubt he turns into Pedroia

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The Cubs got their revenge.

21 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Eloy trade was going too well for us. 

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

My reaction to the trade included the following two words: “fuck me”.

Really hope that things turn around but it’s looking grim. Madrigal is gonna be a beast too. :(

You guys serious? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Go look at Kimbrels game logs.  For some reason I still think he will be effective in the playoffs.  not sure why I think this but I do.

He is not getting his ass handed to him nightly it is one runner that always seems to come around to score.  Robert and Sheets did him no favors recently.

One runner is all it takes and he is doing that in spades. He is ass until further notice and cannot be trusted. 

2 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I wouldn’t trust this bum to pitch in anything other than as mop up or 5th/6th inning role. His name don’t mean shit, he’s been one of the worst pitchers in our bullpen since he was acquired. 

Abreu picks that ground ball every day of the week to end the inning but you go on with your panic complaining. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

This trade will be judged based on what Kimbrel does two weeks from now. Imagine if he had been lights out with us in August and september, and than stunk it up on October.  If Kimbrel plays an integral part in going deep into October, it was worth it.  I would make this trade every day of the week by the way.  Heur is doing well but we would be shitting ourselves if we were counting on him to do something for us in the second half.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

This trade will be judged based on what Kimbrel does two weeks from now. Imagine if he had been lights out with us in August and september, and than stunk it up on October.  If Kimbrel plays an integral part in going deep into October, it was worth it.  I would make this trade every day of the week by the way.  Heur is doing well but we would be shitting ourselves if we were counting on him to do something for us in the second half.    

I don't think Kimbrel can just turn it on in the playoffs if he can't even get through regular season innings without looking bad. At this point the issue is both mental and mechanical. Even if you put him in high leverage 9th inning save situations, he hasn't shown the dominance he had with the Cubs early in the year.

Kimbrel ended 2018 bad with the Red Sox and was extremely pedestrian in the playoffs for them. Had the Red Sox not given him multi run leads to protect he would have blown a few saves for them. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't think Kimbrel can just turn it on in the playoffs if he can't even get through regular season innings without looking bad. At this point the issue is both mental and mechanical. Even if you put him in high leverage 9th inning save situations, he hasn't shown the dominance he had with the Cubs early in the year.

Kimbrel ended 2018 bad with the Red Sox and was extremely pedestrian in the playoffs for them. Had the Red Sox not given him multi run leads to protect he would have blown a few saves for them. 

I don't know. Fegan kind of did a deep dive into Kimbrel's outings with the Sox.  These runs have been on bizarre occurrences.  The home run hit at Wrigley was not hit hard enough to be anything other than a routine fly ball.   The ground ball in Toronto should never have even been a hit.  Luis also misplayed that ball off the bat against Boston.  Yeah it's a tough play but Luis is a gold glove outfielder. He needs to be able to make that.  And the HBP last night and the ground ball.  Part of me wonders if the Cubs overused him before he came to the Sox.  He did look really good in his first two outings.  He has looked good as well in Oakland and also that save in Toronto.  I guess we will see in teh final week.

1 hour ago, Colome's Hat said:

I don't know. Fegan kind of did a deep dive into Kimbrel's outings with the Sox.  These runs have been on bizarre occurrences.  The home run hit at Wrigley was not hit hard enough to be anything other than a routine fly ball.   The ground ball in Toronto should never have even been a hit.  Luis also misplayed that ball off the bat against Boston.  Yeah it's a tough play but Luis is a gold glove outfielder. He needs to be able to make that.  And the HBP last night and the ground ball.  Part of me wonders if the Cubs overused him before he came to the Sox.  He did look really good in his first two outings.  He has looked good as well in Oakland and also that save in Toronto.  I guess we will see in teh final week.

But with Kimbrel, confidence does matter. We've seen this - my biggest one was a week ago, one of those games that must have been Boston I think? Maybe after the Robert misplay, but I could be remembering the wrong game? The important thing was the runner started on second, and Kimbrel wild pitched the runner to 3rd on the breaking ball that the catcher couldn't stop. The next batter, he got ahead of him, and even the TV booth pointed this out - the right pitch was to bury a breaking ball in the dirt for a strikeout, but he had no confidence in the catcher being able to stop the pitch, so he threw a high fastball that was hit in the air for a sacrifice fly and a blown save.

If he doesn't believe in what he's doing on the mound, he doesn't win the matchup - and he doesn't believe in what he's doing out there right now. Maybe if he had more confidence, that knuckle curve ball last night is on the ground, rather than hanging near the batters knees. 

• Quin locked this topic