Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

2 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

I don't know. Fegan kind of did a deep dive into Kimbrel's outings with the Sox.  These runs have been on bizarre occurrences.  The home run hit at Wrigley was not hit hard enough to be anything other than a routine fly ball.   The ground ball in Toronto should never have even been a hit.  Luis also misplayed that ball off the bat against Boston.  Yeah it's a tough play but Luis is a gold glove outfielder. He needs to be able to make that.  And the HBP last night and the ground ball.  Part of me wonders if the Cubs overused him before he came to the Sox.  He did look really good in his first two outings.  He has looked good as well in Oakland and also that save in Toronto.  I guess we will see in teh final week.

Oh my.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

And his wildness with horrible wild pitches has played a big part in his failures 

The results have been bad, but even when he has scoreless outings, the stuff just isn't there. He's not locating his fastball, it's not at the velocity you want it to be, and while his curveball location has been a bit better recently, it's still pretty erratic. 

We can blame other stuff all we want, but the guy just isn't the same pitcher we traded for. It's one thing if he's gotten unlucky or the umps are screwing him, but he's just not throwing enough strikes and ends up shooting himself in the foot more often than not with wild pitches. 

I didn't like the trade because I thought we paid way too much. But I got convinced into it because it seemed like the Sox were finally ponying up to go for it and that we got one of the best relievers in the game having one of the best seasons of all time as a reliever. Unfortunately, he's been anything but that and there's no sign of him ever becoming that guy again with the Sox. Now we're stuck with a market-priced reliever whose trade market is probably drying up as we speak and we also gave up 10 years of control on 2 pretty good pieces in the process. It's a mess and I don't think even the most pessimistic posters about the trade saw this coming. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The results have been bad, but even when he has scoreless outings, the stuff just isn't there. He's not locating his fastball, it's not at the velocity you want it to be, and while his curveball location has been a bit better recently, it's still pretty erratic. 

We can blame other stuff all we want, but the guy just isn't the same pitcher we traded for. It's one thing if he's gotten unlucky or the umps are screwing him, but he's just not throwing enough strikes and ends up shooting himself in the foot more often than not with wild pitches. 

Don't discount how important the catchers are for these wild pitches. They are fundamentally changing how he throws as he has no confidence a back-breaking curve will be caught.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Don't discount how important the catchers are for these wild pitches. They are fundamentally changing how he throws as he has no confidence a back-breaking curve will be caught.

He's throwing fastballs for wild pitches too. In fact, I think most of them have been fastballs, not curves. 

• 3 weeks later...

If Soxfest happens this offseason....Rick Hahn might want to make other plans because any panel with him is going to be ugly.

Honestly what do you do now.  I mean you cannot pick up Kimbrel's option....can you??

3 hours ago, wegner said:

If Soxfest happens this offseason....Rick Hahn might want to make other plans because any panel with him is going to be ugly.

Honestly what do you do now.  I mean you cannot pick up Kimbrel's option....can you??

They will cancel due to COVID  "for your safety" so he does not have to be accountable for this mess.  They already have written the narrative for the offseason.  "We overcame injuries that would have crippled most teams. We won our division by 13 games. We just ran into a hot team in the ALDS. Tony's a HOF genius and will be back until we win the WS". We are doomed. 

Everybody is upset that the Sox made this move instead of getting Bryant or some other RF, but the more I think about it, I think any big move was a bad idea this year.

This was a year where everything was very uncertain with COVID and with even the healthiest of pitchers having thrown only 70 innings last year, and the Sox having Rodon and Kopech who threw almost none over the past two years.

This was a year to roll with what the Sox had and hope to get hot in the playoffs.

The one guy I might have tried to get was Todd Adam Frazier, because he's under control for next year, bats lefty, and can play both 2B and RF.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993

7 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Everybody is upset that the Sox made this move instead of getting Bryant or some other RF, but the more I think about it, I think any big move was a bad idea this year.

This was a year where everything was very uncertain with COVID and with even the healthiest of pitchers having thrown only 70 innings last year, and the Sox having Rodon and Kopech who threw almost none over the past two years.

This was a year to roll with what the Sox had and hope to get hot in the playoffs.

The one guy I might have tried to get was Todd Frazier, because he's under control for next year, bats lefty, and can play both 2B and RF.

Wrong Frazier.  Adam was terrible in SD, a lot like Hernandez for the Sox.

Re-reading this thread was awesome.

I fucking HATED the idea of acquiring Kimbrel. I fucking KNEW this org was going to get fleeced, and I KNEW that they're too stoopud to actually learn from any of their mistakes. 

This one trade simultaneously made the team WORSE for this year, fucked their financial flexibility for this offseason, and shortened the window a bit by squandering a fucking decade of control over 2 youngsters. I gotta ask:

Can anyone think of another move that could have made the team worse, made the org have less financial flexibility, AND shortened the window, all at the same time?

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Quin locked this topic