Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

32 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Besides Lynn, has any other trade worked out for the Sox when Hahn is attempting to trade for a veteran? Shields? No. samardzija? No. Kimbrel? No. Cesar? No

Griffey threw out that guy at home plate in the original blackout game.  Oh sorry, you said Hahn.  Think Kenny was in charge then, sorry.

I never did find out if we paid for all of Kimbrel's salary and gave up Madrigal and Heuer.

I wonder what the Sox record was with and without Madrigal.  We see plenty of posts that wonder why the Sox played better with a lineup of rejects with good pitching and played worse when the good players came back when the pitching was worse. Was it just the pitching that went south in the 2nd half ?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I never did find out if we paid for all of Kimbrel's salary and gave up Madrigal and Heuer.

I wonder what the Sox record was with and without Madrigal.  We see plenty of posts that wonder why the Sox played better with a lineup of rejects with good pitching and played worse when the good players came back when the pitching was worse. Was it just the pitching that went south in the 2nd half ?

Wasn’t schedule harder in 2nd half?

55 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

On 10/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, Dam8610 said:

White Sox record on June 9 (day Madrigal was injured): 37-24 (.607 win %)

White Sox record after June 9: 56-45 (.554 win %)

Edited by Dam8610

18 hours ago, wegner said:

Was I alone in laughing when the Cubbies signed Kimbrel to that big deal?....I thought that they were going to regret those later years... now we have those later years.  Ugghhh. 

Rare are good contracts in baseball. Look at what the Sox are paying for an aging Grandal.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Rare are good contracts in baseball. Look at what the Sox are paying for an aging Grandal.

It's bad when your team signs a bad contract....it's arguably worse when your team trades for another team's  bad contract.

45 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Seriously, what is wrong with people?

Grandal was worth his contract this year despite getting hurt and missing 6 weeks.

I swear to god people will complain about anything.

Grandal just had one of the highest wRC+ for a catcher in MLB history this year.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Grandal was worth his contract this year despite getting hurt and missing 6 weeks.

Grandal just had one of the highest wRC+ for a catcher in MLB history this year.

Yeah but he calls too many fastballs or something and can't throw runners out when pitchers completely ignore them. Also he didn't hit well in a series where our pitching staff had an 8 ERA. He's the problem - if only McCann were here with his .643 OPS...

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When you have a Zack Collins sure.

17 minutes ago, almagest said:

Yeah but he calls too many fastballs or something and can't throw runners out when pitchers completely ignore them. Also he didn't hit well in a series where our pitching staff had an 8 ERA. He's the problem - if only McCann were here with his .643 OPS...

Munson in his prime probably couldn't either.

McCann was a good fit for this team. That happens with players and some don't do well on other teams.

Just now, kitekrazy said:

Munson in his prime probably couldn't either.

McCann was a good fit for this team. That happens with players and some don't do well on other teams.

I think he had his career year with us. His numbers with the Mets line up well with his career + a catcher's aging curve. This is what they'll get moving forward, I assume.

41 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I was talking about Kimbrel's contract, Ray.

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Not really disagreeing. He may be much better next season after adjusting to a different league. 

Then why exactly did you cite him as a bad contract?  He likely created somewhere between $10-15M in surplus value this season if you're really looking at $ per WAR created.  Grandal is not a bad contract. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Then why exactly did you cite him as a bad contract?  He likely created somewhere between $10-15M in surplus value this season if you're really looking at $ per WAR created.  Grandal is not a bad contract. 

Oh wow I did!  That is what happens when you are posting on more than one discussion.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Oh wow I did!  That is what happens when you are posting on more than one discussion.

The key is I put a splash of really good vanilla in the waffle batter.....oops

Edited by wegner
thought this was the breakfast favorites thread

• Quin locked this topic