Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

1 minute ago, Tony said:

NONE of this matters. Who cares about 4 months ago? Do you know how much changes in 4 months? 

They made a move to acquire a player that they desperately needed, and he was the best one out there. And they used assets that weren’t serving a purpose for the 2021 team. 

In the projection value of a young player? Not much.

In the fv projection of an older reliever? Not much

Which is my point entirely.

3 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

And Kimbrel could go back to the bad Kimbrel just as easily..especially coming to the AL.

He had like 1/2 bad year(s). He’s a career 2 ERA pitcher. His “bad” time was the exception to the rule.

3 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I mean Hendriks one night and Kimbrel the next each going 2

Eh, with the extra rest in the postseason? Get a lead in the first 6 innings of the first 2 games, these guys pitch back to back days, and then they get a mandatory offday on the way to the next city.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but the best way to win 1 world series is to maximize your playoff appearances. The best way to win a roll of the craps dice is to roll the dice more than once.

I think it increases their chances this year, but by how much? Who can say.

I think it potentially decreases their chances next year and beyond.

What would you rather have done? Pay Kimbrel 16 million next year, or give Rodon 85 million over 4 years? Based on the Sox spending habits, they certainly won't be doing both.

Just as I absolutely hated investing our primary off-season resources in a closer, I absolutely hate investing our primary trade assets in a bullpen arm, but that doesn't mean it doesn't improve their chances this year; which is great.

Kimbrel 100 times out of 100.  If you want to talk about what Kimbrel has done in the recent past, you HAVE to talk about the Rodon injury history.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think it comes down to this:

1. If the Sox win a World Series with Kimbrel, it's a great move. 

2. If the Sox want to be big boys, they can sign Marcus Semien or any other handful of guys that will be out there and replace Nicky without blinking an eye. It only hurts if they don't replace him with talent. 

I love, love LOVE the White Sox going for it. 

And IMO, the move almost certainly means a major payroll increase is coming and that Madrigal will be replaced in free agency.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Kimbrel 100 times out of 100.  If you want to talk about what Kimbrel has done in the recent past, you HAVE to talk about the Rodon injury history.

And seriously, this makes it so much easier to stretch Michael Kopech out over the next month, to have him in better shape to take a rotation spot next year. 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but the best way to win 1 world series is to maximize your playoff appearances. The best way to win a roll of the craps dice is to roll the dice more than once.

I think it increases their chances this year, but by how much? Who can say.

I think it potentially decreases their chances next year and beyond.

What would you rather have done? Pay Kimbrel 16 million next year, or give Rodon 85 million over 4 years? Based on the Sox spending habits, they certainly won't be doing both.

Just as I absolutely hated investing our primary off-season resources in a closer, I absolutely hate investing our primary trade assets in a bullpen arm, but that doesn't mean it doesn't improve their chances this year; which is great.

For real? You’re going to b**** and moan about using past history as our best indicator but are fine giving Rodon a shit ton of money???

• Like 1

Just now, Tony said:

For real? You’re going to b**** and moan about using past history as our best indicator but are fine giving Rodon a shit ton of money???

Thank goodness someone else noticed it 

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

Starting Rotation: ✔️
Bullpen: ✔️
Offense: Time to wakey wakey

This offense really is so streaky.  It may come down to if they get hot with the bats in October.  If so, Sox have a great shot.  If not, pitching might still keep them in it.  Very Exciting times are a coming.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I get that, and I'm not saying I'd give Rodon 85 million - ftr, pretty concerned about paying up big for one year. But the point was more about investing heavily in a position player or SP that impacts a much greater inning load than a set up man. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face; The White Sox are not some fiscally lenient organization that can afford the luxury of overpaying two bullpen arms as a luxury. If they prove me wrong this off-season? Awesome, but until it happens I will never trust them to do so because they never have.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Bah, I think Madrigal's replacement is Cesar.

That's fine. But I really don't want the Kimbrel money stopping us from getting a legit RF in free agency. 

• Like 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Bah, I think Madrigal's replacement is Cesar.

You mean a gold glover with power? Yes so Mad would bat 300, with average OBP and no speed and worse defense. I don’t see the issue?

1 minute ago, Tony said:

again, Rodon was merely an example of spending. Not at all meant to be the only avenue of spending. I've been pretty adamant that giving Rodon big money would not be a good strategy, but I'd argue it would be a better strategy than giving a set up man 16 million given this teams spending habits; which is really the point.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And IMO, the move almost certainly means a major payroll increase is coming and that Madrigal will be replaced in free agency.

I think everything about the Sox track record says this isn’t the case. 

• Like 2

Just now, chw42 said:

That's fine. But I really don't want the Kimbrel money stopping us from getting a legit RF in free agency. 

I know the Sox have never been huge spenders….but I just can’t imagine they make a move like this that will prevent them from doing something big in the future.

On top of it, if it’s that big of a deal, don’t pick up the option. Or trade him!

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kimbrel has more saves than hits allowed.  That's an incredible stat. He's been one of if not the most dominating pitcher of his era.  

gonna be cute seeing Madrigal trying to hit the ball out of Wrigley with the wind blowing in

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

This offense really is so streaky.  It may come down to if they get hot with the bats in October.  If so, Sox have a great shot.  If not, pitching might still keep them in it.  Very Exciting times are a coming.

I've been really surprised at the downstreak of the top of the order, all at the same time. It has really been on display, this road trip. Hopefully, being back home, against CLE, after these moves showing that we're in it to win, will get things going again.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic