Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

Of course.

@southsider2k5, I’m talking about if Madrigal was 100% healthy. 

It's totally different types of game.  Madrigal NOT being healthy has actually been a large part of the problem, and not only created the Hernandez need, but made him someone the team was willing to risk giving up on for a HUGE upgrade in pen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In the projection value of a young player? Not much.

In the fv projection of an older reliever? Not much

Which is my point entirely.

You’re 100% wrong on this.  It’s readily apparent that Kimbrel’s shit 2019 & 2020 seasons had nothing to do with deterioration of stuff, which is why projection models that bake those in heavily in their go forward projections are going to be way off.  Baseball has a ton of pitchers right now who have maintained high levels of production at advanced ages.  The game has changed and there is zero reason to suggest Kimbrel won’t continue to be elite over the next year and a half.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's totally different types of game.  Madrigal NOT being healthy has actually been a large part of the problem, and not only created the Hernandez need, but made him someone the team was willing to risk giving up on for a HUGE upgrade in pen.

I think you are answering my question with an incorrect assumption of why I’m asking it. Hypothetically speaking, now that all the deals are done, if we could replace Hernandez with a healthy Madrigal, I don’t think it improves our chances much at all this year to win it all (and I’m a fan of Madrigal). 

My point is that it’s worth it to give up Madrigal for Kimbrel because I think we can continue to plug Madrigal’s spot with guys like Hernandez and not lose much at all. 

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Still wish we acquired another bat (I think FO is relying too much on Eloy, Robert, Moncada, etc. to stay healthy) but damn if I'm not ready to go to war with this team. 

I really want the team to make something of the two headed monster coming into the game, something recognizable. 

Just now, fathom said:

Stoney just blasted Madrigal. Said he was drafted too high. Implied Sox thought he was at his ceiling. Criticized his defense and base running.

He's slowly losing credibility. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think you are answering my question with an incorrect assumption of why I’m asking it. Hypothetically speaking, now that all the deals are done, if we could replace Hernandez with a healthy Madrigal, I don’t think it improves our chances much at all this year to win it all (and I’m a fan of Madrigal). 

My point is that it’s worth it to give up Madrigal for Kimbrel because I think we can continue to plug Madrigal’s spot with guys like Hernandez and not lose much at all. 

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

There is no doubt that Madrigal + Heuer < Hernandez + Kimbrel.  That's easy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Stoney just blasted Madrigal. Said he was drafted too high. Implied Sox thought he was at his ceiling. Criticized his defense and base running.

Its really too bad he couldn't just keep his mouth shut and let him leave quietly.  There is just no good reason for it.

• Like 3

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Its really too bad he couldn't just keep his mouth shut and let him leave quietly.  There is just no good reason for it.

He wasn’t mean about it, but doesn’t take a genius to read between the lines that the organization is wasn’t a big fan of his

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stoney is the White Sox baseball analyst, its his job basically to analyze the team. It’s probably fine. Just too soon for some. Although the Sox may not appreciate the draft crack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is no doubt that Madrigal + Heuer < Hernandez + Kimbrel.  That's easy.

For sure. That’s a no-brainer. But the people complaining about the trade are worried about 2023-2026. I’m saying we can easily grab another “Hernandez” to fill that role moving forward. 

I also don’t think people realize how good Kimbrel has been this year. This move significantly improves our team this year and next. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox aren't going to pay for a 2B in the offseason.  They'll pick up Hernandez $6M option and go cheap in RF.  Sox will be paying the bullpen between $45-50M. 

If this move means the Sox are now playing with the big boys in the $175M+ payrolls - we good.  But I refuse to believe that until I see it.  

I’ll keep saying it, but the Sox have routinely rocked top 10 payrolls when attendance is there.  The #10 payroll this year would be ~$170M.  I’d wager a ton of money that they hit or exceed that target next year.  I don’t think we add both a pricey 2B or RF, but they will almost certainly add one or the other IMO.  Honestly, outside of some middle relief help, there won’t be much else to add.  Having so much of the core locked up and having Sheets & Burger as cheap replacement options for Abreu eventually allows us splurge in those areas.

• Like 1

I have been on the record plenty as one of the biggest Madrigal supporters on this board. Has anyone even questioned if the organization was worried about his recovery at all? And for a guy that was sold with ++ speed, his leg injury could impact that fallacy even more. Look, he is gonna be a .300 hitter his whole career. will we miss that. YEP. does it matter if they win a championship this season or next? NOPE. Hate the fWar longterm impact of this deal, but Hahn saying screw that shows just how much they mean business. and Kimbrel very well may be the closer in two months. that type of insurance is just unheard of come October. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ll keep saying it, but the Sox have routinely rocked top 10 payrolls when attendance is there.  The #10 payroll this year would be ~$170M.  I’d wager a ton of money that they hit or exceed that target next year.  I don’t think we add both a pricey 2B or RF, but they will almost certainly add one or the other IMO.  Honestly, outside of some middle relief help, there won’t be much else to add.  Having so much of the core locked up and having Sheets & Burger as cheap replacement options for Abreu eventually allows us splurge in those areas.

Assuming they pick up the two options they just got, they're basically right around $170 million next year give or take.

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Giving Semien 3-5 years is scary. It pretty much wipes out Giolito and Anderson staying beyond 2023 and 2024. Because our 2 closers, Abreu, Grandal and Keuchel are soaking up way too much payroll space.  And soon enough, Moncada.

For just 1-2 years, definitely fine with Marcus.

Abreu, Kimbrel, & Keuchel (hopefully) are free agents after the 2022 season.  Yes, the core will continue to get more & more expensive, but there will be some salary relief coming.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic