Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So does this mean since the Cubs allegedly had their choice between Madrigal and Crochet, that Crochet is garbage?

Just remember, these are the same guys who traded Tatis JR. and Semien.

Stone isn’t ever going to blast the White Sox on a trade. He likes his job.

There were probably like 3 of us on the entire site that hated the Semien trade. The Sox valued Semien pretty highly. 

4 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I'm not trading a guy with the ceiling of Randy Johnson/Chris Sale for 25 innings of a 33 year old once great closer having a bounce back year after 2 miserable ones.  

Thank God Hahn didn"t.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

I hate Craig Kimbrel and his idiotic pose before pitching, but I love this deal. We gave up nothing (having already acquired a second baseman for next year) and got a solid (lights out when he’s right) bullpen arm. We have significantly increased our chances for a WS this year and next. Beyond that, we’ll figure out how to replace our #9 hitter. 

My son (11 -- and aspiring pitcher) loves to imitate the pose when we play catch. But its not out of admiration...he's gonna flip later on when he finds out! regardless of the trade, i am not looking forward to watching it whatsoever. 

6 minutes ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

Absolutely. It’s like the Chapman trade the Cubs made. Zero regrets. Being able to play a 7 inning game is so valuable in October. Tepera for Horn was solid. I think this was a win-win

It would depend on what else was available and what the cost was. Kimbrel is great. Could the Cubs have still won with a closer that didn’t cost so much? Probably. But it would have come down to who was available. No question this helps the Sox this year, but there are several baseball executives quoted,  who get paid to evaluate talent and not sing insurance jingles, who claim the Cubs killed it with this trade. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Care to elaborate on this?  Sounds like you know some of these stories.

I did find Nick to be a little awkward.  A few more candid videos from ST kind of showed he struggled to interact comfortable with his teammates.  Quite and reserved perhaps.  But what makes him a "turd" and what are these stories?  Let it spill! 

Yeah!

Spring us the 411 up off in here.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

It would depend on what else was available and what the cost was. Kimbrel is great. Could the Cubs have still won with a closer that didn’t cost so much? Probably. But it would have come down to who was available. No question this helps the Sox this year, but there are several baseball executives quoted,  who get paid to evaluate talent and not sing insurance jingles, who claim the Cubs killed it with this trade. 

dude on mlb network said top two trade winners - were the Dodgers and White sox

FWiW

4 hours ago, beck72 said:

Spending it now on Kimbrel makes sense. For 2022…not so much. 

I like the idea of moving one of their chronically injured position players. No one gives out MVNP awards. 

10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

seems like when they got Hernandez they were already preparing to trade madrigal.

Many, including myself, were underwhelmed with this trade at first.    Escobar looked to be the obvious better choice.  But thank god for that extra year control here, that afforded to make Madrigal easily expendable. 

Great work by Rick Hahn, he made a Big Boy Major League Trade, something I never thought he'd be capable of doing.  

4 hours ago, JPR said:

Sox trade a probable career .300 hitter for lightning in a bottle.  They better strike this year.

That's the Reinsdorf way

And that's why he's got one championship in 40 years to show for it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Yeah picking up the best reliever in baseball for an injured guy when you're trying to win a world series now. 

You know the old saying..."You can fool some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time...but you can't fool all the people all the time."

22 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Complain? You're attached to 50 percent of my "lmao" posts, bitching like you are <right now>  Whos the one complaining again?  yikes.

Lol...what am I complaining about exactly?  You being a whiny little b****?  If so, then I guess you got me there.

Seriously though, have you read your posts in gamethreads?  You alone practically make them unbearable.  I mean, you have literally said the team with the largest divisional lead in baseball isn’t good.  You legit make Jack Parkman look like a fucking optimist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Now that our bullpen is stacked, every fifth game, can we have Kopech and Crochet pitch the first five innings? Stick one of them in the outfield and they can just switch on a batter by batter basis, where Kopech faces all the righties and Crochet faces all the lefties. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is no way Kimbrel and Hendriks are both on the roster next year.

No way? Seems a bit certain considering they just gave away their franchise 2B for the next half decade and a future setup man or closer for Kimbrel. If they think they need him now, why not next season? 

21 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

dude on mlb network said top two trade winners - were the Dodgers and White sox

FWiW

Works both ways. I am sure when the Sox traded Q to the Cubs someone on MLBN called the Cubs big winners. The Sox have to win at least one or two playoff series for to bean actual win IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

No way? Seems a bit certain considering they just gave away their franchise 2B for the next half decade and a future setup man or closer for Kimbrel. If they think they need him now, why not next season? 

Yes. It's certain.  They will trade one of them.

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Steve was correct, no one would ever make a bad trade, yet somehow, everyone does. The Sox are going to wish they had Madrigal down the road, but for this season the back of the bullpen couldn’t be more stacked. Hopefully the injured guys come back and this team can catch the ball well enough and score enough runs to wins some playoff series.

Maybe, maybe not.  Some people thought Gordon Beckham was going to be something special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes. It's certain.  They will trade one of them.

I too think the dollars don’t make sense and is a big reason I’m not overjoyed with the trade. But would be a curious to turn around a trade him in 4 months. Bullpen gets weaker next year without Kopech (and hopefully some starts from Crochet as well). I hear ya tho. 

If the Sox were dangling Crochet in this deal as rumored, makes me wonder if he’s as good as gone this offseason. 

19 minutes ago, GradMc said:

That's the Reinsdorf way

And that's why he's got one championship in 40 years to show for it.

The Reinsdorf way is trading a cheap controllable player for the most expensive closer in the NL while the team already has the most expensive closer in the AL, giving the team the best 1-2 punch to close out games in baseball as they are nearly guaranteed to go into the playoffs?

Cool.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

You know the old saying..."You can fool some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time...but you can't fool all the people all the time."

Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.

Fool, you can’t get fooled again.

The Sox addressed THE biggest issue they had by acquiring two nice bullpen pieces.  The game is essentially locked down from the 7th inning on now.  Kimbrel was the best relief pitcher available.  He wasn’t going to be cheap.  Had he gone somewhere else, 90% of this board would be screaming that the Sox could have beaten what the Cubs got.

I like Madrigal, and he’ll be a good addition for the Cubs.  But the Sox have Hernandez for 2022, and it’s a relatively easy position to fill with a good player.

• Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic