Jump to content
Baron

Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Recommended Posts

FWIW--Kimbrel has more post season experience and success than Hendricks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tony said:

NONE of this matters. Who cares about 4 months ago? Do you know how much changes in 4 months? 

They made a move to acquire a player that they desperately needed, and he was the best one out there. And they used assets that weren’t serving a purpose for the 2021 team. 

You hit the nail on the head.  The purpose is this year. Can't make a omelet without breaking a egg.  I like that they are going for it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goober said:

Lololol how could you be so fucking dumb as a GM to make this trade. 

  You not liking the trade ,makes me love it move.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to weigh in....I'm a bit shocked (didn't see it coming) but delighted. I can think of no better acquisition than a back-end RP on pace for a historic season to pair with arguably the top closer in the AL. Given Lynn, Rodon, Gio, et al, its now up to TLR to maximize a quiver of starters and RPs. Our chances for hardware this year just got a big boost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read the entire thread to this point.  Setting aside some of the typical sniping there are valid opinions for and against this trade. If the Sox win the WS and Kimbrel is a key, then, of course, this trade will be viewed in hindsight as having been prescient.  If the Sox fail early in the playoffs, then the trade may boil down to comparing Madrigal vs Cesar Hernandez or whoever else the Sox have at second base for the next several years.

 I do not think anyone, including Steve Stone, needs to make negative comments or cast aspersions about Madrigal in order to comment on the trade.   It is going to work out one or another over time. I was and am of the opinion that Hahn should have looked beyond the North side to address bullpen needs. There was no need to give up a top prospect like Madrigal.  There were other options.  You don't need two Closers. Just one good one and a couple of decent L/R set-up men.

And what about Cody Heuer?  Hahn just throws him into the deal ?  And Hahn offered Crochet at one point?  Hearing that makes one suspect that Hahn just needed to get this deal done, and offered options for Hoyer to feast on.

And what about catcher?  What if Grandal comes back and can only  DH (like the Sox need another DH) but not catch ? Collins and Zavala? OK..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like The Athletic’s take.

https://theathletic.com/2742559/2021/07/30/craig-kimbrel-fills-white-soxs-biggest-need-and-answers-biggest-question-at-trade-deadline/?redirected=1

Craig Kimbrel fills White Sox’s biggest need and answers biggest question at the trade deadline

Quote

The combined $22 million cost for picking up Kimbrel’s and new second baseman César Hernández’s club options for 2022, which Hahn signaled at least initial intent to do, would easily push that team’s payroll toward the highest in franchise history and provides no specific boost to the next three months of White Sox baseball. But it speaks to the scale of Friday in White Sox history.

Quote

But this was also a deft pivot that allowed the Sox to not be held back from upgrading their roster by a thinned-out farm system. It was part of a move that refused to let Madrigal’s injury be an excuse to ride with reserves at second base into October. After their last contention bids ran aground as they tried to patch holes on the fly, the White Sox aspired to do more than what previously seemed enough, and see where that would take them. Ideally, it will be a lot further than they have been in a long time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sox80 said:

  You not liking the trade ,makes me love it move.

I mean, if a feller named goober is agin’ it, i’s fer it!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sox80 said:

  You not liking the trade ,makes me love it move.

He's no Gomer, that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My issue with Hahn and the Sox in general is they always take a half assed approach to going all in. I think the Lynn trade was the type of move you make after you've already added a quality arm. Kimbrel would have been the perfect move (given the cost) once you've added an impact bat. If you're going to give away two quality mlb ready assets like the Sox did then leverage the farm and upgrade everything you can and we absolutely could have found a way to expand the deal to include Bryant. I would prefer when you make moves like this it was part of a larger more aggressive strategy. 

Edited by mac9001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just keep looking at that return for Kimbrel and…wow.  That’s just a lot, man.  Way more than I would’ve expected. I’m excited about the prospect of our lockdown bullpen in the playoffs, and that’s what I’ll focus on, but I can’t help but feel there were more efficient ways to improve.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see, just for my own sanity sake, that I have some fellow travelers in not liking this trade at all. I'll be happy to eat crow, but I just don't think this team is a Craig Kimbrel away from winning the World Series.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

My issue with Hahn and the Sox in general is they always take a half assed approach to going all in. I think the Lynn trade was the type of move you make after you've already added a quality arm. Kimbrel would have been the perfect move (given the cost) once you've added an impact bat. If you're going to give away two quality mlb ready assets like the Sox did then leverage the farm and upgrade everything you can and we absolutely could have found a way to expand the deal to include Bryant. I would prefer when you make moves like this it was part of a larger more aggressive strategy. 

You mean after adding a second baseman on pace to hit 30 homers this year?

  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thing we got Kimbrel, cause Tepera might not be the answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

You mean after adding a second baseman on pace to hit 30 homers this year?

I like the move, but a league average bat is not my definition of an impact bat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I like the move, but a league average bat is not my definition of an impact bat. 

That’s fine. We got literally the best reliever in baseball in addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I like the move, but a league average bat is not my definition of an impact bat. 

That league average bat in our lineup is a switch-hitting gold glover on pace for 30 home runs - and he's hitting eighth behind Anderson, Moncada find his rhythm, Abreu, Eloy, Grandal, Robert, and Vaughn. After him is a combo of Goodwin, Sheets, and Engel. 

We've seen with this lineup that hitting is contagious, especially those homers. With Eloy, Grandal, and Robert coming back, Cesar lighting a fuse is gonna be real fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I just keep looking at that return for Kimbrel and…wow.  That’s just a lot, man.  Way more than I would’ve expected. I’m excited about the prospect of our lockdown bullpen in the playoffs, and that’s what I’ll focus on, but I can’t help but feel there were more efficient ways to improve.

I mean, you have every right to feel that way if you want.....but 1. What are those "more efficient" ways in your opinion? 2. It's just a fact like any Front Office is going to have a much better understanding of what is actually available and what the cost actually is. 3. Most importantly....don't you think Hahn holds that same view point? He's looking for the most efficient way to improve the team and fill needs they have. What did he miss? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tony said:

I mean, you have every right to feel that way if you want.....but 1. What are those "more efficient" ways in your opinion? 2. It's just a fact like any Front Office is going to have a much better understanding of what is actually available and what the cost actually is. 3. Most importantly....don't you think Hahn holds that same view point? He's looking for the most efficient way to improve the team and fill needs they have. What did he miss? 

I don’t know—Bryant (who came at a much lower price with likely greater impact) plus a reliever who does not come with a massive salary and prospect price tag is what comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Good thing we got Kimbrel, cause Tepera might not be the answer. 

He didn’t look good for sure in his first start but he might of had some jitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what blows my mind? The Dodgers and Rays, the World Series teams with prospect firepower far outweighing the Sox (ESPECIALLY the Rays) were looking at Kimbrel and the Sox beat that by just saying "fine, take our second baseman of the future. We're not wasting this window." I was a Nick fan and I love that, because Nicky was the most expendable of the core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I don’t know—Bryant (who came at a much lower price with likely greater impact) plus a reliever who does not come with a massive salary and prospect price tag is what comes to mind.

Which reliever? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tray said:

I've read the entire thread to this point.  Setting aside some of the typical sniping there are valid opinions for and against this trade. If the Sox win the WS and Kimbrel is a key, then, of course, this trade will be viewed in hindsight as having been prescient.  If the Sox fail early in the playoffs, then the trade may boil down to comparing Madrigal vs Cesar Hernandez or whoever else the Sox have at second base for the next several years.

 I do not think anyone, including Steve Stone, needs to make negative comments or cast aspersions about Madrigal in order to comment on the trade.   It is going to work out one or another over time. I was and am of the opinion that Hahn should have looked beyond the North side to address bullpen needs. There was no need to give up a top prospect like Madrigal.  There were other options.  You don't need two Closers. Just one good one and a couple of decent L/R set-up men.

And what about Cody Heuer?  Hahn just throws him into the deal ?  And Hahn offered Crochet at one point?  Hearing that makes one suspect that Hahn just needed to get this deal done, and offered options for Hoyer to feast on.

And what about catcher?  What if Grandal comes back and can only  DH (like the Sox need another DH) but not catch ? Collins and Zavala? OK..

I can handle any RF combo among Engel, Goodwin. Leury, Sheets but the catching duo now is just ugly and will not help 1 iota in the playoffs if  Air Grandal gets grounded.

 I wanted Gomes bad. A's gave up 3 prospects for Gomes and Josh Harrison. No idea how good any of them are. This is a partial summation of Gomes from MLBTraderumors: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/nationals-trade-josh-harrison-yan-gomes-athletics.html

"Gomes, 34, is in the second season of a two-year, $10MM contract and has gotten out to a strong start, hitting at a .271/.323/.454 clip with nine homers, 11 doubles and a triple as the primary backstop in D.C — a demonstrable uptick from the league-average .226/.307/.387 slash posted by catchers so far in 2022. He’ll pair with Sean Murphy to give the A’s a pair of backstops who are outpacing that average level of offense behind the plate. Gomes also carries a terrific defensive reputation, which is supported by strong framing numbers and a robust 36 percent caught-stealing rate on the year. "

A's upgraded one of the best catchers  and framers in baseball  with another good catcher. They didn't even need him that much.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×