Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs

Baron

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah this is the biggest issue. Everyone's trying to get a 3 win closer like Kimbrel. He has no real surplus value if you only care about money. But the teams after him kind of don't, they're after wins. 

If money and surplus was all teams cared about, a Burger+ for Kimbrel swap would be pretty fair. But his market is probably way beyond that right now. 

Exactly, and we'd be paying that closer price for a guy that isn't even going to fill that role for us. The money just doesn't make sense for this organization.

2 minutes ago, macsandz said:

True but they'll work him into that role as the season winds down. He'd take Heuer's role and his stuff will play up even more. 

worked with rodon last year. Foolproof.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a vesting option.  He has to finish 55 games this year or he gets a $1M buyout. He's currently at 35.  The weird '20 season may have automatically triggered the option but I think we would have heard that.   

It's showing as vested already, but who knows if that's accurate.

edit: i was wrong, it defaults to 2021 games with the 2020 issue.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a vesting option.  He has to finish 55 games this year or he gets a $1M buyout. He's currently at 35.  The weird '20 season may have automatically triggered the option but I think we would have heard that.  

On Spotrac it says it's a vesting/club option. I saw someone else say it turns into a club option in case it doesn't vest. 

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's a vesting option that converts to a team option if he doesnt finish 55 games on the year. 

White Sox haven’t given up any real prospects of value considering what other teams like the Blue Jays have given up.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see them acquire kimbrel and Bryant with Sheets and Burger involved.

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems like R.Iglesias is a way better fit

Why is no one talking about this? His name was thrown out there weeks ago but it's been very quiet. Angels in general have been quiet, 6 games back in the wildcard and a load of teams ahead of them.

Low salary so prospect price might be higher, but also a rental as he's a FA next year. 

Might be the consolation prize for whoever misses on Kimbrel, or you can sneak in now and get him before the Kimbrel deal sets the high water mark.

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

Why is no one talking about this? His name was thrown out there weeks ago but it's been very quiet. Angels in general have been quiet, 6 games back in the wildcard and a load of teams ahead of them.

Low salary so prospect price might be higher, but also a rental as he's a FA next year. 

Might be the consolation prize for whoever misses on Kimbrel, or you can sneak in now and get him before the Kimbrel deal sets the high water mark.

Because Kimbrel is gonna hold up his market. Once he's gone teams will pivot if they have time. 

With Kimbrel, you can get at least a portion of what you gave up back in the offseason. I really don't care which one of these guys they get, just get one, or maybe a starter, and maybe a catcher. Looks like they may be giving a couple of those away in the next couple of hours.

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

Great point as 2020 Rodon and 2021 Cease are the same guy and Katz was a genius last season. 

This is a dumb plan for the white sox to rely on, as it was last year. If katz is a genius with bullpen then go prove it with our bullpen pitchers.

42 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Kimbrel with his contract has no surplus value, I‘d be surprised if the prospect price is huge

In this case, the price is going to be determined by the number of serious suitors, not the free agent market value of his contract.

1 minute ago, JPR said:

I would not trade Crochet, Kopech, or Kelley for almost anything.  They’re too valuable given Rodon leaving for Boras money.

You wouldn't trade Jared Kelley for anything. What?! 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox Acquire Kimbrel; Madrigal, Heuer to Cubs
  • bmags pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic
  • Quin locked this topic