Madrigal Appreciation Thread

Texsox

45 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And Poppysox…

A mixture of emotions today.  Obviously sad to say goodbye to Nicky.  I now have a reason to watch an occasional Cubs game.  I know Nick realizes this was an all-in move to lock up a couple of WS championships for the Sox and the right move under the circumstances.  Let's face it...with our pitching and everyday lineup...we look awfully tough to beat.  Wishing good things for Nicky and I still hope he gets that 3000 hits.

• Like 2

Tired of hearing how Nick wasn't this or that. He was the most consistent in putting the ball in play they had.

He was my favorite player and I will miss him.

The FTJr Matter solidified Hahn's breathtaking incompetence and these GMs are looking to fleece him.

The Cubs were probably asking for Sheets, Burger and Cepedes for Bryant or Baez.  And Hahn probably thought about it.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2

Btw- anyone catch Steve stone on score today.....he said Nick was drafted way too high for a guy that does not field well, has gaffs on bases, and has a very good hit tool, but not a hit tool worth enough for 4th pick with the above mentioned minuses.

It was interesting 

5 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Btw- anyone catch Steve stone on score today.....he said Nick was drafted way too high for a guy that does not field well, has gaffs on bases, and has a very good hit tool, but not a hit tool worth enough for 4th pick with the above mentioned minuses.

It was interesting 

He was (and is) the classic High Floor player. He will be a big leaguer for a long time if he can stay off the IL. When the Sox picked him, they were all in on acquiring Machado from the Orioles until they didn’t. And then again after that season when it was Manny or Harper…again, didn’t happen. They envisioned Nick being a safe, good big leaguer around one of these monsters. 

Edited by flavum

I enjoyed watching him because sadly there doesn't seem to be a place in baseball for a guy like that these days!  He kind of forced his way into the situation!  I wonder if he would even be up in the BIGS yet if he happened to be a 5th round pick yet performed the same way during his brief MiLB tenure?  His play reminded me of the way baseball used to be...neither better or worse...just different!  I can't root for him though...just can't do that for anyone wearing that uniform!  

PS - I was shocked when I heard Stone's critique of Nick on the Score today...wow!

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Enjoyed watching him play because of the drastically different style. Was nice to have the good OBP at the bottom of the lineup.

I think Nick will be at the top of the Cubs lineup for the next 10 years or more.  As the saying goes...you need to give something to get something.

• Haha 1

Madrigals presence brought balance to this lineup. Speed- high OBP and solid defense. Let’s not forget he was on 🔥 prior to getting hurt and essentially was one of the catalysts of the lineup. I can definitely see him winning a batting title in the future. 
On a positive note, Sox currently have the reigning gold glover at second base. And if things don’t work out with him, the middle infield free agent market is loaded this winter. 
Oh and we also got Kimbrel for two years. Looking forward to October! 

• Quin locked this topic