Madrigal Appreciation Thread

Texsox

I liked Madrigal and I loved his fit on this team (if he could get the defense ironed out).

But I am so so so happy we don't have to argue about his value on here anymore. You know the saying "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy"? Well that doesn't apply here because I have been laughing all day at excited Cubs fans who have no idea what fresh hell their message boards are about to become. 

• Like 1

He seemed to me to be as advertised offensively. Not as fast as was thought.He certainly isn’t Billy Hamilton running the bases, but he isn’t Paul Konerko either. I read where he is in the top quarter in baseball. Did struggle some defensively initially, but was doing much better at the time he was hurt. I think he is going to be a nice player for as long as his body will let him.

He is a young guy, and his game was definitely on the rise, just like we expect from all of the Sox younger guys. I never understood the hatred. The Soxtalk scouts had Mendick as a capable replacement. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He seemed to me to be as advertised offensively. Not as fast as was thought.He certainly isn’t Billy Hamilton running the bases, but he isn’t Paul Konerko either. I read where he is in the top quarter in baseball. Did struggle some defensively initially, but was doing much better at the time he was hurt. I think he is going to be a nice player for as long as his body will let him.

He is a young guy, and his game was definitely on the rise, just like we expect from all of the Sox younger guys. I never understood the hatred. The Soxtalk scouts had Mendick as a capable replacement. 

Mendick seems like a nice guy but he's no Madrigal.

I will miss him and hate seeing him on the Cubs.  I still think his abilities scream a two hole hitter slapping the ball in the hole when a man is aboard.  Think he can contend for batting titles.  Didn't see the GG defense though he was getting better and he ran into to many outs but very much liked his contact ability.  I have grown tired of the strikeouts which occur in horrible situational baseball settings.

• 9 months later...

With all the injuries and underperformance at least the madrigal trade doesn't look so bad now. 

Madrigal still has no power this year but he also has doubled his k rate. 

Of course the injuries didn't help but still he seems to be a huge scouting failure. I'm not blaming the sox front office and scouts though, many people in the industry believed he would eventually grow into 12-15 homer power with a chance for more. 

But that he is a 2 homer per year guy who needs to hit. 320 to have any value nobody saw coming. 

He was a bad pick at 4 but kudos for hahn for leaving the sinking ship and getting something for him. 

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

With all the injuries and underperformance at least the madrigal trade doesn't look so bad now. 

Of course the injuries didn't help but still he seems to be a huge scouting failure. I'm not blaming the sox front office and scouts though, many people in the industry believed he would eventually grow into 12-15 homer power with a chance for more. 

But that he is a 2 homer per year guy who needs to hit. 320 to have any value nobody saw coming. 

He was a bad pick at 4 but kudos for hahn for leaving the sinking ship and getting something for him. 

In between Bohm and Singer?  Or Brady was 6?  

6 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

It’s incredible how weak that draft class was. Hard to blame them too much for the pick. I’m much more upset they drafted Walker over Thomas in the second round considering Allen Thomas was on the coaching staff at the time.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I have to come after this comment. Really?  Madrigal would have to hit .320 to have any value, really?  On this Sox team, right now, he'd "have to hit .320 to have any value"?

Madrigal hit in the .290 range while with the Sox. I looked it up: he's a career .293 hitter. That wouldn't have any value on the Sox now?  The Sox have one 2nd baseman batting .167 and the other is batting .190!!  A 2nd baseman batting .290 would have not value??  

Jesus Christ, just having a guy who can put the bat on the ball consistently would help this Sox team a ton! To actually have a guy who could bring a runner home from from 3rd with less than 2 outs consistently, are you really saying that would have no value to the Sox right now, because they have no one in the order like that right now. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I'm sorry, but I have to come after this comment. Really?  Madrigal would have to hit .320 to have any value, really?  On this Sox team, right now, he'd "have to hit .320 to have any value"?

Madrigal hit in the .290 range while with the Sox. I looked it up: he's a career .293 hitter. That wouldn't have any value on the Sox now?  The Sox have one 2nd baseman batting .167 and the other is batting .190!!  A 2nd baseman batting .290 would have not value??  

Jesus Christ, just having a guy who can put the bat on the ball consistently would help this Sox team a ton! To actually have a guy who could bring a runner home from from 3rd with less than 2 outs consistently, are you really saying that would have no value to the Sox right now, because they have no one in the order like that right now. 

Not arguing with the overall need for a 2B who can actually hit the ball but so far this season Madrigal is hitting .203 for the Cubs which whilst better than either of our 2B options is not a vast improvement and his fielding is only .964 which is worse.

• Quin locked this topic