Cubs dismantled. Sox reign in Chicago.

hankchifan

Cubs were dismantled and downgraded to a AAA team today.  Sad for a major market.  All their current major stars are gone, on top of Darvish, Schwarber,Caratini at the beginning of the season.  If I were a Cub fan, I would not be happy as they had a core group that could have contended, if the Cubs would have kept Darvish and invested in quality starting pitching.  Their starters this season were pretty bad.  All excitement in Chicago now belongs to the Sox.  Let’s take advantage and take over Chicago baseball. Sox reign!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Yes, but Rizzo Bryant and or Baez can return. The Rickets can continue to be cheap, but assuming no further Covid restrictions, the can bounce back quickly with a better farm system at hand.

They were dead this season, think Hoyee did a great job considering the circumstances, will likely be a better long term President of Baseball Ops than Theo, won’t be as eager to take overpay on trades and free agents.

42 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, but Rizzo Bryant and or Baez can return. The Rickets can continue to be cheap, but assuming no further Covid restrictions, the can bounce back quickly with a better farm system at hand.

They were dead this season, think Hoyee did a great job considering the circumstances, will likely be a better long term President of Baseball Ops than Theo, won’t be as eager to take overpay on trades and free agents.

Curious how common it is for players to actually return to the teams that dealt them, seemingly doesn't happen much

3 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Cubs were dismantled and downgraded to a AAA team today.  Sad for a major market.  All their current major stars are gone, on top of Darvish, Schwarber,Caratini at the beginning of the season.  If I were a Cub fan, I would not be happy as they had a core group that could have contended, if the Cubs would have kept Darvish and invested in quality starting pitching.  Their starters this season were pretty bad.  All excitement in Chicago now belongs to the Sox.  Let’s take advantage and take over Chicago baseball. Sox reign!

Only God can compete with the Chisox. 

It is kind of crazy how the bottom fell out despite their keeping the “core” intact.  A lot of casual fans (and plenty of not-so-casual fans) assumed at the beginning of the window that you could just project contention as long as Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Baez stayed healthy. It was conventional wisdom back in 2016 that since these guys all “hit,” and were so young, that you could pencil them into the playoffs for a decade. Well, they stayed basically healthy and it wasn’t enough. Just goes to show you how much more there is to sustaining success in baseball. A little scary, and a reminder to make the most of the good years because they might not return again.

More importantly, F the Cubs.  

12 hours ago, hankchifan said:

This might be the beginning of something, the last time the Sox ruled Chicago was in the GO GO era of the 50s and 60s. The key is to start becoming at least a playoff team for 4 or 5 years with a World Series Championship thrown in and not going back to the old days of having the club run like it's a small market franchise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It is kind of crazy how the bottom fell out despite their keeping the “core” intact.  A lot of casual fans (and plenty of not-so-casual fans) assumed at the beginning of the window that you could just project contention as long as Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras, Baez stayed healthy. It was conventional wisdom back in 2016 that since these guys all “hit,” and were so young, that you could pencil them into the playoffs for a decade. Well, they stayed basically healthy and it wasn’t enough. Just goes to show you how much more there is to sustaining success in baseball. A little scary, and a reminder to make the most of the good years because they might not return again.

And consider this year where the Sox have been trotting out half a minor league team every day and are playoff bound. They call them intangibles for a reason...

Edited by SpringfieldFan

4 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

They never developed enough pitching  

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They never developed enough pitching  

1) Nobody developed after Hendricks on pitching side

2) Terrible free agent deals

3) The prospect group that followed the Core Four of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Contreras…flamed out or was traded, in Soler/Almora/Happ.

4) Bullpen issues, Kimbrel goes through two down seasons inexplicably, Darvish struggles first 1 1/2 seasons and has to be jettisoned to save money.

5) Chapman and Q trades

6)  Maddon got complacent and celebrity status went to his head, off field endorsements and distractions 

7)  Injuries to Bryant, and then Arrieta (like Jose Contreras) couldn’t sustain Cy Youngish stretch

Edited by caulfield12

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

1) Nobody developed after Hendricks on pitching side

2) Terrible free agent deals

3) The prospect group that followed the Core Four of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez and Contreras…flamed out or was traded, in Soler/Almora/Happ.

4) Bullpen issues, Kimbrel goes through two down seasons inexplicably, Darvish struggles first 1 1/2 seasons and has to be jettisoned to save money.

5) Chapman and Q trades

6)  Maddon got complacent and celebrity status went to his head, off field endorsements and distractions 

7)  Injuries to Bryant, and then Arrieta (like Jose Contreras) couldn’t sustain Cy Youngish stretch

Why do you keep saying Soler “followed” the core 4?  As I already mentioned, he was one of the earliest prospects.  He debuted a year before Contreras and Bryant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why do you keep saying Soler “followed” the core 4?  As I already mentioned, he was one of the earliest prospects.  He debuted a year before Contreras and Bryant.

In the sense he didn’t establish himself right away and got pushed back to secondary status…and yes, Rizzo and Baez predated Bryant.  It would be too complicated to break it down year by year.

And I forgot another big disaster for the Cubs, Addison Russell.

I think it’s fair to say that all those Top 3-5 prospects around the Core Four never really broke through to be counted upon as regulars.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

In the sense he didn’t establish himself right away and got pushed back to secondary status…and yes, Rizzo and Baez predated Bryant.  It would be too complicated to break it down year by year.

And I forgot another big disaster for the Cubs, Addison Russell.

I think it’s fair to say that all those Top 3-5 prospects around the Core Four never really broke through to be counted upon as regulars.

Russell was a big one,  he was supposed to be part of the core and we all know what happened