7/31 CWS v CLE 6:10 PM CDT

TheTruth05

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They haven’t really been good offensively since the Houston series. I hope at some point soon they will have everyone in the line up, and I have the feeling numbers are going to go up.

Big hit from TA and an overall good night from Yoan despite his two final PA's. Hopefully those portend good things to come.

29 minutes ago, Cashman said:

For the love of GOD, can Rick DFA Goodwin to take away that option for Tony?!?

Goodwin has an .875 OPS vs. RHP in 2021

Can we DFA you instead? 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

57 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yup just goes to show what they think of Collins catching abilities and that his bat isn't nearly good enough to make up for his defense.

Of course knowing that before hand is why I was actually a bit surprised the Sox showed no interest in Yan Gomes. The A's ended up getting him and they have Sean Murphy who has a 2.7 fWAR due in part to his great framing stats while Yan Gomes is a better hitter but still pretty strong defensively with an over all 1.1 fWAR.

Collins is at a -.3 fWAR and Zavala is a black hole offensively . If Grandal has any relapse and, lets face it, with a balky knee and being a catcher he has the highest chance of not being able to handle his position in the playoffs of the guys returning from injury. You can't have a lousy defensive catcher or a non hitter in the playoffs. If they make it to the World Series playing in the NL park without the DH and Zavala catching means its almost like having 2 pitchers hitting in the lineup .

Even in the AL playoffs they are at a disadvantage with a position player who hits like a pitcher.

Guess we should be keeping our eyes on the DFA's or Carlos Perez being promoted to AAA.

Don’t forget Collins was a first round draft pick so giving up on him is even more proof that Hahn and Williams made a mistake in the draft.

13 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

In the last 30 days, Goodwin has a .604 OPS vs RHP and Hamilton is at .606. Goodwin no longer provides a platoon advantage and Hamilton is the far superior outfielder. Now that Leury is freed from 2B there's really, really no use for Goodwin.

I just checked the July stats Goodwin .302 OBP , .682 OPS. Hamilton .250 OBP , .639 OPS . Hamilton would be hitting RH against a RHP whereas Goodwin who's overall numbers against RHP on the season blows the doors off of Hamilton. Good walk rate, decent batting avg. good OBP ,way higher slugging and OPS. There will always be players who perform better than other player in any given 30 day period.

When you take into consideration that Zavala is in the lineup I think I'd want the guy who has a better chance of hitting McKenzie better in the lineup based on effectiveness through the whole season. Since Collins is not playing you can't put every RHH in the lineup based on your sample size.

32 minutes ago, upsoxfan said:

Don’t forget Collins was a first round draft pick so giving up on him is even more proof that Hahn and Williams made a mistake in the draft.

That literally has nothing to do with anything.  Did they cut bait on Carson Fulmer when it was clear he couldn’t provide any value at the major league level?  For the billionth time, Zack Collins actually has some major league ability as he’s putting up a 121 wRC+ against RHP.  That would be highly valuable as a catcher if used in a strict platoon role and if he wasn’t the worst framer in baseball (among other defensive issues).  Might as well give him some run and see if he can make any improvement before trading him or cutting bait.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

For most hitters I'd agree, but TA can't really pull the ball in the air. His FB rate is 3% (!!!!) when he pulls it.

Is it really that low? That's actually kind of crazy. No wonder pitchers just try to jam him inside. 

• Thanks 1