7/31 CWS v CLE 6:10 PM CDT

TheTruth05

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I was with you. I think the confusion came in when I said 1 run (meant to type 1-2 runs).

The game was wild back and forth, putting in a stopper vs. Ruiz (or in the past Foster or Burr) when the game is tied. Kimbrel (or Kopech / Hendriks) are likely to keep the game where it's at, and let your team come back to win.  By putting your worst in because they are losing, whether it's 1 or 2 or 4 or 8, that's not optimal.

Pitch your worst when you are up/down 5-6 +, pitch your best when you are up/down 0,1,2. 

100% agree with this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I remember Kopech had a subpar outing against Cleveland earlier this year and gave up a run. I'm not even sure how the hell they did that against him today. They were laying off his sliders or fighting them off even when it buckled their knees. His fastball got ambushed by guys who look like they can't touch 98. 

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Sounds like you are taking to Kopech and then to other fans all in the same couple sentences. Dumb post. 

Dont get personal on a forum mane. I'm not trying to impress anyone just saying kopech needs better placement 

Edited by Angel Hernandez

The best part for me was Zavala not only hitting 3 homers; one to center, one to left with bases loaded and one to right, but he was very good, behind the plate, blocking balls. I don't know whether, or not his pitch calling was good, with all of the offense Cleveland produced, but that may not have been his fault. Nevertheless, I've never seen Collins have any where near that good of a game. At least, it's nice to think that Zavala might be an adequate catcher, to fill in for Grandal, who may not be able to catch much, the rest of this year, with his recent surgery.

Edited by Lillian

Just now, maloney.adam said:

We just need to battle through this until Eloy, Robert and Grandal are back. 

They will eventually play better.   Tonight was rough,  Kopech is usually reliable . I'm not putting to much stock in his performance this game.  

Just now, Lillian said:

The best part for me was Zavala not only hitting 3 homers; one to center, one to left with bases loaded and one to right, but he was very good, behind the plate, blocking balls. I don't know whether his pitch calling was good, with all of the offense Cleveland produced, but that may not have been his fault. Nevertheless, I've never seen Collins have any where near that good of a game. At least, it's nice to think that Zavala might be an adequate catcher, to fill in for Grandal, who may not be able to catch much, the rest of this year, with his recent surgery.

Seby's numbers are going to be living off this night for weeks. He can probably go 0 for his next 20 and still have a better OPS than Collins. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yep he was tipping his pitches.  Saw same thing with Kimbrel early last year where Reds just wouldn’t swing at the curve 

They definitely were all over his pitches.  They'll correct it.  

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

The assumption that Engel can only hit lefties is proving to be fallacious. He has had a lot of very good at bats off RHP. It's beginning to look like he may have actually developed into a decent hitter. 

once robert is back hopefully he is the regular right fielder.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

They will eventually play better.   Tonight was rough,  Kopech is usually reliable . I'm not putting to much stock in his performance this game.  

Yeah I think they’ll be fine once they get Robert, Eloy and Grandal all back. I would rather have a lineup like this than what they are throwing out there right now. 

SS Anderson, 2nd Hernandez, 3rd Moncada, 1st Abreu, LF/DH Jiménez, CF Robert, C Grandal, LF/DH Vaughn, RF Engel.

We may have used Kopech one too many innings tonight but if they want to develop him into a starter than he needs to throw more innings. I think he’ll be fine though and they will find the innings for him or maybe have him throw some side sessions.

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep he was tipping his pitches.  Saw same thing with Kimbrel early last year where Reds just wouldn’t swing at the curve 

I'm looking back at his 6th inning. It did seem like whenever he was throwing sliders you can see his glove wiggle when he was adjusting for the grip. He would sometimes do that for fastballs too, but not all the time. So nothing all that consistent from my untrained eye.