7/31 CWS v CLE 6:10 PM CDT

TheTruth05

17 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The assumption that Engel can only hit lefties is proving to be fallacious. He has had a lot of very good at bats off RHP. It's beginning to look like he may have actually developed into a decent hitter. 

Need to have Engel in the outfield for his D as well as often as possible.  Goodwin should not be playing in the outfield again.  He probably cost us this game. His D is just atrocious.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Big crowd wants to see the shiny new toy, but also its a one run game

Should have brought Kimbrel in the 8th not the 9th.  Wasn’t Hendriks available tonight for the 9 th inning?  I thought we were going for a Nasty Boys type strategy Kimbrel in the 8th and Hendriks in the 9 th as needed.  Certainly not pitching Ruiz in the 8th.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

Should have brought Kimbrel in the 8th not the 9th.  Wasn’t Hendriks available tonight for the 9 th inning?  I thought we were going for a Nasty Boys type strategy Kimbrel in the 8th and Hendriks in the 9 th as needed.  Certainly not pitching Ruiz in the 8th.

Captain hindsight over here would be the GOAT manager apparently

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

9 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

A little late.  If he would have came in the 8 th instead we probably win.

You have a good point here. Ruiz isn’t an 8th inning set up man. Look what happened to him last year when we brought him into similar situations. He was terrible! However, I’m not going to put all of this on Ruiz because Tepera hasn’t looked good so far and that may be the reason why we used him in that situation tonight. We need Tepera to get over his jitters or step it up.

Edited by maloney.adam

10 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Captain hindsight over here would be the GOAT manager apparently

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that you did not spend millions to have both Kimbrel and Hendriks and then bring in Ruiz in the 8 th in a close game.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that you did not spend millions to have both Kimbrel and Hendriks and then bring in Ruiz in the 8 th in a close game.

I believe they said Hendriks was not available tonight

11 runs and 15 LOB. That’s funny. So was LaRussa using Kopech for a third straight day and insisting on him going multiple innings. So was the umpire when Kopech had 6 strikes and only got 2 called.

What an insane game.

Would would have EVER saw Zavala hitting 3 home runs and going 4 for 4 in one game in a game we LOSE.

😆

10 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

6 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I believe they said Hendriks was not available tonight

It’s not a good idea to baby the players too much. You need to have your best players in the lineup or pitching to have the best chance to win. Now there’s other factors like matchups and other things to consider but if you want to win as many games as possible or put distance ahead of other teams you need to play your best players consistently at all times if possible. I get there are injuries and other things, but you really need to put yourself in the best situations to win. TLR has done a good job with managing this team so far but he’s had some questionable decisions that have cost us some games as well.

Edited by maloney.adam

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

11 runs and 15 LOB. That’s funny. So was LaRussa using Kopech for a third straight day and insisting on him going multiple innings. So was the umpire when Kopech had 6 strikes and only got 2 called.

What an insane game.

Would would have EVER saw Zavala hitting 3 home runs and going 4 for 4 in one game in a game we LOSE.

😆

They said on the broadcast the Kopech hadn't pitched in 3 days.

Was at the game. Very exhausting and  disappointing. Bad defense by Goodwin and Vaughn.. Meanwhile Sheets and Moncada got robbed on good plays.

I think the scouting report on Vaughn may now be similar to what it was on Yermin - throw the guy with the leg kick low/outside sliders. Vaughn has to keep trying to take those pitches to the opposite field and make pitchers start to throw him strikes. He looks to be in trouble when he is down 2 strikes.   Sheets keeps impressing me with good at bats where he seems to be on almost everything. If only he or Moncada got that big hit tonight... Oh well

If we lose tomorrow and Cleveland gets their starting staff reassembled in the  upcoming weeks, they might think they can still make a run at us. Get 'em tomorrow and hopefully, blow their doors off to make the memory of this game go away.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Was at the game. Very exhausting and  disappointing. Bad defense by Goodwin and Vaughn.. Meanwhile Sheets and Moncada got robbed on good plays.

I think the scouting report on Vaughn may now be similar to what it was on Yermin - throw the guy with the leg kick low/outside sliders. Vaughn has to keep trying to take those pitches to the opposite field and make pitchers start to throw him strikes. He looks to be in trouble when he is down 2 strikes.   Sheets keeps impressing me with good at bats where he seems to be on almost everything. If only he or Moncada got that big hit tonight... Oh well

If we lose tomorrow and Cleveland gets their starting staff reassembled in the  upcoming weeks, they might think they can still make a run at us. Get 'em tomorrow and hopefully, blow their doors off to make the memory of this game go away.

Our vaunted pitching was not good tonight either, giving up 12 runs.  Every Cleveland hitter got at least one hit.  Goodwin in the outfield is an embarrassment and a major liability. Vaughn D is not good either, but better than Goodwin.

56 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Greg, what's your grade for TLR currently? Lots of armchair managers here that think he sucks, but I think he's done a fine job.

Despite the recent 3-7 stretch vs. Central Division, I give him an A. Not an A plus or A minus but an A.

I think he's very smart baseball mind and if anybody can get this team to snare a WS title THIS SEASON it's him. I would give our trainer a D whether if it's deserved or not. It might just be bad luck, but team has had an awful lot of injuries and our team may never be able to keep Eloy healthy. This team's record is amazing considering all the injuries. I do hope Tony does not manage weirdly in the playoffs, like only let the starters go 2-3 innings. Stay old school, Tony baby.

Outside of the dropped ball which Goodwin reached over the fence for (since it's his fault Kopech allowed a 375 ft blast to begin with) , what else did I miss on his poor play tonight (which included a HR 2 walks and 3 Runs) ?   Seeing that he and LaRussa (of course) are taking most of the grenades tonight by the Soxtalk faithful. 

48 minutes ago, tray said:

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Outside of the dropped ball which Goodwin reached over the fence for (since it's his fault Kopech allowed a 375 ft blast to begin with) , what else did I miss on his poor play tonight (which included a HR 2 walks and 3 Runs) ?   Seeing that he and LaRussa (of course) are taking most of the grenades tonight by the Soxtalk faithful. 

I blame the fact that they couldn’t stop the bleeding with the five runs given up in the middle of the game, nobody warmed up and replaced Kopech during that inning, until Kimbrel they couldn’t get a scoreless inning and they couldn’t execute with the amount of men left on base. I’m more upset with the way they lost after being up 6-1 more than anything else. I don’t pin this on La Russa but it was evident early on that Kopech didn’t have it tonight.

18 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Didn't you hear? Tony was responsible for those 12 runs tonight. Not the pitchers and defense.

Goodwin sucks no matter what, and Tony sucks for playing him. 

Edited by ron883

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

You might want to look at the video again. First he did a 180° for no apparent reason. Then he went back to the track and jumped. The ball was NOT over the wall. He could have caught the ball flat footed at the base of the wall. Instead of busting his tail to the wall and setting up, he timed his route, jumped and had the ball hit the heel of the glove.