We will see what this team is made of…

hi8is

August 12th to August 26th

8/12 - 8/15: 3 vs. NYY

8/16 - 8/19: 4 vs. OAK

8/20 - 8/22: 3 @ TB

8/23 - 8/26: 4 @ TOR

One off day which falls on the 13th. After that it’s 16 straight games, 13 of them against winning teams who are all playoff bound or playoff hopeful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

One off day which falls on the 13th. After that it’s 16 straight games, 13 of them against winning teams who are all playoff bound or playoff hopeful.

This is why you need affluent sportsmen committed to help fortify the team with vetted difference makers.

We don't have that on the Southside of Chicago.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

This is why you need affluent sportsmen committed to help fortify the team with vetted difference makers.

You triggered the Soxtalk “too many unnecessary big words” flag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GradMc said:

I don’t agree, but more importantly what is it with your constant use of this weird phrase, old sport? Are you posting from inside an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

This is a tough stretch. Winning eight or nine of these games would be good. We will see how good this team is. Hopefully it will keep the blowouts to a minimum.

I’m thinking this is the most important stretch:

• ALDS October 7-14 

And if successful:

• ALCS October 15-24 &
  • World Series October 26-November 3

For the rest of this season, I’m most considered:

1. Getting through with proper load management for the starters.
  2. Building Kopech up to at least 2-3 + innings
  3. Robert and Grandal regaining health and timing and
  4. Keeping our collective fingers crossed that Eloy can somehow be healthy in the playoffs, especially since they are insistent on using him in LF.

As a fan, I like them to win games, of course, but it’s secondary at this stage of the season. Hoping Tony can channel a Phil Jackson mindset, not a Tom Thibodeau mindset, over the final two months.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

• ALDS October 7-14 

And if successful:

• ALCS October 15-24 &

4. Keeping our collective fingers crossed that Eloy can somehow be healthy in the playoffs, especially since they are insistent on using him in LF.

As a fan, I like them to win games, of course, but it’s secondary at this stage of the season. Hoping Tony can channel a Phil Jackson mindset, not a Tom Thibodeau mindset, over the final two months.

True but I will have concern because they are going to "try to win" these stretch games, which will give some indication of how they may do when they "try to win" in the playoffs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpringfieldFan said:

True but I will have concern because they are going to "try to win" these stretch games, which will give some indication of how they may do when they "try to win" in the playoffs.

True, but it's a marathon, at least until the playoffs, so the balance between Tony "focused on winning today" and the organization (including Tony) trying to prepare the team to hit their stride in late September for October is key.

Really liking the Lambert start today, could care less if it may cost the team a win. With the odd season last year, and guys like Rodon nearing his innings pitch high over the past five seasons, it's important to make sure everyone, and fingers crossed Eloy, will be near or full strength in October. 

11 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

• ALDS October 7-14 

And if successful:

• ALCS October 15-24 &

Thanks for the reminder to keep late October through early November open.

They will not be using the rest of this season to build Kopech up, they will be using him with winning games in mind. I think there's a way you can do both, and hopefully between Tepera, Bummer, Kimbrel and Hendriks you can do so, but they're still going to look at him as a high leverage guy.

21 hours ago, hi8is said:

It's going to get ugly around Soxtalk in late August...I can feel it lol

The last two months are where someone could really do a "you stupid piece of crap apologize to Tony" thread.

My biggest worry with this club is how they respond when things are largely wrapped up and they turn their eyes to big fish.

I think Renteria lost his job last year when they won that twins series, clinched their playoff spot, then proceeded to play horrible baseball the last week and end up as a 6th seed.

And this year, when the sox hit that 8.5 game lead all the sudden the cracks they've been able to paper over became exposed. With CLE waving the white flag, and everyone basically ready to give the sox the division, I'd really love to see a last two months with a record of more than .500.

I just can't care about just the teams record over a period of time right now in the regular season.  They have two months to get and stay healthy.  That's it, that's all that matters to me.  Cure the injured, and come to the playoffs with the pitching staff ready.  If that means we go 5-11 during this stretch, so be it.  We have a nine game lead to utilize to our advantage, we had better use it wisely.  It does us no good to get the playoffs and still be playing with large portion of the roster with nagging injuries and fatigue.

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, SpringfieldFan said:

While they try to win all games the lineups still will be much different than it will be for the playoffs. Robert probably won't be playing full time for most of those games and neither will Grandal . Eloy you just never know. Also the Sox may give more spot starts to Kopech, Reylo or Lambert in the continuing quest to keep the starting pitching arms fresh.