We will see what this team is made of…

hi8is

I think the "switch" lies within a couple players.

I love Moncada, but he's a guy that MUST get going in order for this team to be better.  He looks lost at the plate most of the time, swinging through pitches in the strike zone, very inconsistent power...  He turns it around and is 75% of what he was in 2019, and this team is much better.

TA has looked better recently, but his slumps are more prolonged this year, and he's been double play happy a lot.  He's less of a concern for me, though.

Hernandez is better than he's played recently, and I expect him to return to form.  If he can, the lineup is strengthened again because he can back in the 2 spot or toward the bottom and make a difference.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Give an example then? Please, I can't think of one. 

Marlins 

but more to that point, the Sox are young but they have veterans.  I know you like to propose the worst possible outcome as fact but this season isn't over yet because balta can't think of a team that is considered young that flipped a switch going into the playoffs 

The white Sox are going to play baseball in October. Their odds of winning given series are more or less a coin flip. 

They can beat any team in the postseason, and they could just as easily shit the bed. All I know is the game on August 15th isn’t going to tell you what’s going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Easier to be mad that others like this team I guess 

It’s like a contest to get out in front of why the didn’t win the World Series, which is always going to be the more likely outcome, even for the Mighty Dodgers. 

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I think the "switch" lies within a couple players.

I love Moncada, but he's a guy that MUST get going in order for this team to be better.  He looks lost at the plate most of the time, swinging through pitches in the strike zone, very inconsistent power...  He turns it around and is 75% of what he was in 2019, and this team is much better.

TA has looked better recently, but his slumps are more prolonged this year, and he's been double play happy a lot.  He's less of a concern for me, though.

Hernandez is better than he's played recently, and I expect him to return to form.  If he can, the lineup is strengthened again because he can back in the 2 spot or toward the bottom and make a difference.

I also don't think this is the NBA where it's like "okay let's try harder".

I don't necessarily think it's a switch, I just hope that a number of our players get hot at the right time.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I mean the 2010 giants, 2017 yankees I didn't even think that hard.

Ok, the 2010 Giants were 13-15 in August and 18-8 in September. The 2017 Yankees were 14-15 in August and 20-8 in September. I'd be far more confident going into the playoffs if we could put up a .650 winning percentage in September?

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Who is refusing to acknowledge flaws 

I intentionally exaggerated, since that seems to be the level of discourse needed here. Expressing concerns over losing to a team you might see in the playoffs means you don't like the Sox? Cool, good talk.

9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Marlins 

but more to that point, the Sox are young but they have veterans.  I know you like to propose the worst possible outcome as fact but this season isn't over yet because balta can't think of a team that is considered young that flipped a switch going into the playoffs 

2003 Marlins were 42-25 in the second half, 13-15 in August, 18-8 in September. I'm ok with August doldrums and that type of performance in September, fair?

This is what this thread is for to voice our concerns about this team. Granted there’s not a damn thing we can do about it and most of it falls on def ears but it’s why it was created. All I’m saying is that those bad games against the Astros in May, these losses to a Yankees team who is missing half their roster stick in my head more than wins against the Cubs. A good series against the A’s and Rays can change that tune some.

Just now, mqr said:

It’s like a contest to get out in front of why the didn’t win the World Series, which is always going to be the more likely outcome, even for the Mighty Dodgers. 

this is a good way of putting it.

It's crazy though because the sox are definitely the team that's out there where I still don't really know what they are. The offense has had a number of different faces and succeeded without power and failed without power, and now failed with power and maybe soon succeed with power. The starting pitching has been dominant, the bullpen has never all been in a groove at once and the manager has not had a "ride the hot hand" philosophy.

I could see the sox succeed in playoffs with just a dominant rotation and some timely hitting because I've seen them do that. I could see the offensive talent we have find a groove and take over and a dominant bullpen emerge where the starting pitching fades.

This team does have a number of ways to make it work, but it also gets in funks where the mechanics of what's succeeding aren't quite in line.

overall, I still think the lights turn on and TA leads off games with homers and eloy is back and we roll and have a good chance at the CS.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok, the 2010 Giants were 13-15 in August and 18-8 in September. The 2017 Yankees were 14-15 in August and 20-8 in September. I'd be far more confident going into the playoffs if we could put up a .650 winning percentage in September?

yes, indeed it is august.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I intentionally exaggerated, since that seems to be the level of discourse needed here. Expressing concerns over losing to a team you might see in the playoffs means you don't like the Sox? Cool, good talk.

You ever gonna stop overexaggerating in order to make your point?  I'm not sure I said you don't like the Sox but I will review my posts 

1 minute ago, Rey21 said:

This is what this thread is for to voice our concerns about this team. Granted there’s not a damn thing we can do about it and most of it falls on def ears but it’s why it was created. All I’m saying is that those bad games against the Astros in May, these losses to a Yankees team who is missing half their roster stick in my head more than wins against the Cubs. A good series against the A’s and Rays can change that tune some.

Why do you hate the Sox?

You ever gonna stop overexaggerating in order to make your point?  I'm not sure I said you don't like the Sox but I will review my posts 

What am I misunderstanding about the below?

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Easier to be mad that others like this team I guess 

26 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

This team looked terrible against the A’s in the first round last year, I don’t think they can “flip a switch” if they’ve never done it before. 

Except they looked glorious in that first game and had moments in that third game.  Honestly, TLR managing, we likely win because I think he likely has a backup plan with Crochet not working out.  Renteria's managing was abysmal in that game.  He looked like he had no clue what he was doing and completely and utterly freaked out and out of his depth.

Edited by Colome's Hat
  • Like 1

Just now, Snopek said:

What am I misunderstanding about the below?

Did I say you didn't like the Sox or did I say it's easier to be mad at others who like them.  You can like the Sox and still criticize others for liking the team, exhibit A: Soxtalk 

Did I say you didn't like the Sox or did I say it's easier to be mad at others who like them.  You can like the Sox and still criticize others for liking the team, exhibit A: Soxtalk 

No one is getting criticized for LIKING the team and I think you know that. The criticism comes from our different comfort levels currently with the team that we ALL LIKE.

The two biggest reasons they lost this weekend are Liam Hendriks forgetting how to pitch and Cesar Hernandez forgetting how to play second. Will those two things happen in the playoffs? Maybe? Probably not.

Their biggest flaws have been the inability to hit the ball out of the ballpark, and bridging the gap between the starters and Hendriks. Both of those now look like non issues. 

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

No one is getting criticized for LIKING the team and I think you know that. The criticism comes from our different comfort levels currently with the team that we ALL LIKE.

I do agree with that 🤝 

and also I can look at the league and see that a lot of doldrums are happening around the league as well as a lot of strange dead cat bounces for teams like the Braves.  Sox are just very mediocre right now and I think they will get out of it by October.

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Their biggest flaws have been the inability to hit the ball out of the ballpark, and bridging the gap between the starters and Hendriks. Both of those now look like non issues. 

These are great points that I admittedly overlooked.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

and also I can look at the league and see that a lot of doldrums are happening around the league as well as a lot of strange dead cat bounces for teams like the Braves.  Sox are just very mediocre right now and I think they will get out of it by October.

I 100% agree with all of this. The quick dismissal of concerns just gets annoying.