We will see what this team is made of…

hi8is

4 minutes ago, Snopek said:

These are great points that I admittedly overlooked.

I 100% agree with all of this. The quick dismissal of concerns just gets annoying.

They have a 10 game lead in august. We have the luxury of stepping back and trying to view things from 10,000 feet rather than getting hung up in the day-to-day.

Would I prefer they went gangbusters from April 1 to September whenever? Yeah, I just think trying to figure out if this team can win in October based on a handful of games in August is a pointless exercise, because the answer for just about every single team is if they are in the playoffs they can win the world series, but they probably won't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snopek said:

I intentionally exaggerated, since that seems to be the level of discourse needed here. Expressing concerns over losing to a team you might see in the playoffs means you don't like the Sox? Cool, good talk.

I think there’s a difference between talking about flaws and being a total nervous psycho in a game thread.  

Not saying that’s you at all BTW, but if you open a game thread after a negative play, well, you’re almost tempted to call the police because lives may be in danger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I think there’s a difference between talking about flaws and being a total nervous psycho in a game thread.  

Not saying that’s you at all BTW, but if you open a game thread after a negative play, well, you’re almost tempted to call the police because lives may be in danger. 

Fair enough. I generally try to steer clear of game threads during the game. Seems exhausting. 

5 hours ago, harkness99 said:

The Yankees just beat us with a Triple A pitching staff

Taillion and Cortes had both been pitching well leading up to our game against them. We saw two evenly matched teams go at it and we should have won each of the games.

Bottom line is clean up stuff on the field and in the dugout. Preform to capabilities and we’ll be primed for a long post season run.

Continue playing like this and managing like this… we’ll see a repeat of last year.

I’ve got confidence that we haven’t played our best baseball of the season yet.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Likely playoff teams and the order I LEAST want to face them:

1. Astros

2. Yankees

3. Rays

4. A's

5. Red Sox

6. Blue Jays

Let's hope NYY get knocked out of the wild card slot.

Totally agreed… I also think regardless it’s likely to be a dogfight or we get steamrolled. If we iron out kinks and start firing on all cylinders we’re primed regardless of who we face.

If we keep playing like we have been… repeat of last year.

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Likely playoff teams and the order I LEAST want to face them:

1. Astros

2. Yankees

3. Rays

4. A's

5. Red Sox

6. Blue Jays

Let's hope NYY get knocked out of the wild card slot.

I had a nightmare yesterday of Sale beating the Sox in an elimination game, pulling out a Sox jersey and scissors from his back pocket, and cutting the Jersey to shreds on the mound to celebrate.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I had a nightmare yesterday of Sale beating the Sox in an elimination game, pulling out a Sox jersey and scissors from his back pocket, and cutting the Jersey to shreds on the mound to celebrate.

That sounds fantastically awesome, actually. 😆

Starting to see the bullpen gel… starting to see the continued strength of the rotation… Lopez has been a huge shot in the arm… and we’re beginning to see what this team on the offensive side can do.

We’ve still got one major reinforcement on the way.

Good times. Keep learning gum shoes…

Ah… perhaps most importantly… we were reminded that the commandment “thou shall not throw thy belt” is real.

Right when we seem to be turning the corner into seeing our full potential we drop two of three to the Rays while fielding half of the Chicago Knights.

Don't think we really learned anything from this past series.

It’s such a weird season in terms of trying to get a read on the team. They’re clearly a better team than we’ve seen due to the injuries they’ve had to deal with. At the same time, there’s no denying that they’ve racked up wins against a bad division while looking less competitive overall against the better teams. I don’t know what any of this actually means. Let’s find out in October.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It’s such a weird season in terms of trying to get a read on the team. They’re clearly a better team than we’ve seen due to the injuries they’ve had to deal with. At the same time, there’s no denying that they’ve racked up wins against a bad division while looking less competitive overall against the better teams. I don’t know what any of this actually means. Let’s find out in October.

It really will come down to what players are on the field and how they’re performing… which of course is a very general generic statement but it applies here since we’ve seen so much variation.

Everyone and every part of the team has been so up and down… save for perhaps the starting rotation who has been the most consistent.

We went 7 - 7 during that tough stretch while playing some of the worst baseball we have all year. We also saw some classic highlights.

5 of the losses could have easily gone out way.

Main take away points:

- This starting rotation is the most reliable aspect of our team.

- It is very important everyone gets healthy, stays healthy, and comes into the playoffs playing at the top of their game.

- The bullpen has to get right, the bullpen has to get right, and the bullpen has to get right.

As emotionally draining and difficult as many of the losses were, I think going .500 during that stretch would have been considered acceptable as a question posed two weeks ago.

Looking at the forest through the trees, you can see a lot to hope on for this club. There certainly are a lot of trees to get stuck on though.

Finally, did I mention we have to get the bullpen right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Snopek said:

Just need to peak at the right time.  It's the dog days of summer and the manager isn't managing with any sense of urgency, which is smart, but it probably trickles down to the players losing some intensity at times.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, hi8is said:

Totally agreed… I also think regardless it’s likely to be a dogfight or we get steamrolled. If we iron out kinks and start firing on all cylinders we’re primed regardless of who we face.

If we keep playing like we have been… repeat of last year.

The Sox won't keep playing.500 baseball. I think eventually maybe we finish the season at between 25-29 games over .500 . This team has so much more talent than last year in the rotation and and pen and hitting too . Just get them jelling in the last 2 weeks and keep them healthy and this is one hell of a team !

Right now we are just sweating the minutiae. Sit back relax and strap it down !