8/1 Game Thread Sox vs Guardians 1:10

19 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Still unknown but it sounds like Robert needed a few more AB's and he'd be ready.  We don't play tomorrow so maybe Robert up on Tuesday hopefully.  No way they carry like 9 or 10 guys that play the outfield.   

just had a thought, isnt it more likely Sheets gets sent back down and they keep Brian on the team?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tony said:

Of course he’s not the perfect player, he was already let go once by a team this season. He has serious warts. But given how banged up the Sox are, and given some of the big moments he’s provided…calling for him to be DFA’d is dumb.

Well someone’s gotta go when Robert and Lamb come back. Maybe it’s Sheets and Lamb never comes back, but there’s only so many roster spots. It’s probably not Goodwin, but prior to that huge Homer, he’s been mostly terrible for several weeks. 

• Like 1

Full strength roster when Grandal is back-

Anderson, Hernandez, Abreu, Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, Grandal, Vaughn, Engel, Garcia, Goodwin, Hamilton, Collins

Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease, Keuchel, Lopez, Ruiz, Crochet, Tepera, Bummer, Kopech, Hendriks, Kimbrel

We can only hope we get this the last quarter of the season and the postseason.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Full strength roster when Grandal is back-

Anderson, Hernandez, Abreu, Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, Grandal, Vaughn, Engel, Garcia, Goodwin, Hamilton, Collins

Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, Cease, Keuchel, Lopez, Ruiz, Crochet, Tepera, Bummer, Kopech, Hendriks, Kimbrel

We can only hope we get this the last quarter of the season and the postseason.

Manager: Hall of Famer Tony La Russa

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well someone’s gotta go when Robert and Lamb come back. Maybe it’s Sheets and Lamb never comes back, but there’s only so many roster spots. It’s probably not Goodwin, but prior to that huge Homer, he’s been mostly terrible for several weeks. 

If you think Goodwin is getting DFA'd, it just comes from your dislike of him.

Sheets can be sent down and brought back up in a month. Goodwin can't. Now you know what they will do

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do they have to keep Lamb? He could be the one who goes.

3 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Sheets can be sent down and brought back up in a month. Goodwin can't. Now you know what they will do

Whatever they do, Im not telling a guy that has  really helped this team to win when they were down to fuck off just because he’s not as good as I wish he was. Much gratitude Brian.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Which is a different story. When Robert is ready, all bets are off.

Calling him to be DFA’d today is stupid…

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Really every team has 2 starters out for 3-4 months, another over a month and a 4th out for the season?

Yes but Eloy has 46 homers and 123 RBIs in 180 career games, Grandal's average year is 90 walks and 27 homers,  Robert might be the best all around player I've ever seen on the Sox and Madrigal (I'm going to miss him) has a career .317 batting average.  Why couldn't it be Leury and Goodwin and Collins that were hurt and out most of the season?    But man...when we get all the pieces together!!!!  

I don’t see the point in complaining about Goodwin. Whining about a backup for not playing like a starter is like whining about a fifth starter for not being an ace.  He’s a bench player who’s been super valuable in his role and saving our asses through devastating injuries. Thank god for Goodwin, and Billy for that matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, GradMc said:

Brian silenced his many sorry ass detractors on this board today.

The bat flip was for all of them.

I friggin loved it !!

It's always a little odd when someone who is generally known as a scrub comes in and does a great job filling a huge void by hitting way better than expected has a bit of a slump , prevents a HR but doesn't catch the ball and or attempt a sliding catch but not catch it and people are all over him.

8/1  1-3,BB,  2 R ,1 RBI Game winning walk off HR.

7/31  1-3, 2 BB ,3 R ,1 RBI , HR

7/30 1-3 1 BB 1 RBI

Total:

3-9 ,4 BB, 7/13 .538 OBP, 3 RBI, 5 RS, 2 HR's and 1 of them a walk off.  I dare someone to find one other guy who did as consistently well this series. Mind you this is a scrub and Moncada, Anderson and Abreu are not. Also no errors . I know we can all get mad that the ball is not sticking in his glove on difficult plays. Maybe he starts using a new glove soon ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty generous score keeper both balls he dropped were errors the one he cut off Engel and the so-called homer was 2 ft. Short of the wall and wasn’t a homer. We wouldn’t need the walk off if he hustled on the slice of his that was dropped by Cleveland and he loaded so it was a single, went to second which would have been third and then didn’t tag on fly ball to go to third but had he been at third where he should have been he could have scored. Struck out with 0 outs and bases loaded right before Garcia hit into do and we end up with 0 runs when we had bases loaded and no outs so he kind of cost us 3 and scored 2. I’m glad we won but I do hope we keep Sheets and send Goodwin packing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GradMc said:

Brian silenced his many sorry ass detractors on this board today.

The bat flip was for all of them.

I friggin loved it !!

Being a stan of the guy cut by the Pirates is pretty funny, but I guess you went way out on a limb by waiting until he actually did something good, so that is the smart time to bandwagon him.

3 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

I don’t dislike Brian Goodwin. He’s overall been pretty darn solid and at times a great stop gap. But he’s a legitimately awful OF. It’s hard to watch. He’s cost the Sox many times, including several recently. I dont think it’s some crime to want him nowhere near the starting the lineup. He’s not good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bmags said:

I just so so so want a lineup with Robert, Grandal and Eloy. I’m so tired of some of this.

Agree.  Throwing in Leury and Goodwin in the outfield over and over catches up with you in a  hurry.  Why wasn’t Goodwin at 2 nd on the dropped pop up in the fifth.?. Leury first two at bats hit too balls that went one feet with bases loaded and another10ft...

I was at the game Sat night and saw Goodwin and Vaughn make errors that cost the game. Hawk's baseball rule number one  - you have to catch the ball.

I would DFA Goodwin and give the extra at-bats and playing time in RF  to Sheets.

But, for the reasons stated above , that won't happen.

Edited by tray

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury is a plenty capable OF. Goodwin is the problem. 

Goodwin has been exposed over and over as a terrible outfielder.  ReyLo bailed him out in the 6 th.  We need to get Robert into the OF and pronto.  Don’t we have any other capable outfielders in the minors just in case?  Goodwin cannot continue playing in the outfield.

• Thanks 1