That’s a White Sox Winner, take the series from the Guardians

South Side Hit Men

11 minutes ago, asindc said:

No errors is, to say the least, quite generous.  He inexplicably took his eye off the ball yesterday as he put his glove up.  Today’s non-catch also hit squarely inside his glove.  Professionals make those plays.

Is Bryce Harper a professional? Go look at what he did 3 days ago in RF . 2 long lazy fly balls he's camped under and somehow they went over his head. I rather have Brian Goodwin who is making squat look bad in the OF than my $300M OF. No errors is no errors how is that generous ? 2 difficult plays 2 non catches . At least he didn't kick the ball away.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is Bryce Harper a professional? Go look at what he did 3 days ago in RF . 2 long lazy fly balls he's camped under and somehow they went over his head. I rather have Brian Goodwin who is making squat look bad in the OF than my $300M OF. No errors is no errors how is that generous ? 2 difficult plays 2 non catches . At least he didn't kick the ball away.

edit: found it

harper kind of has a history of this.

However harper has never been known for his defense really = he has a -def war over his career.

So yes there are other bad outfielders in the mlb besides goodwin.

Edited by harkness99

57 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes Harper is a professional.  So is Goodwin.  Each of them has made unprofessional plays, as referenced in our posts.  Each of them has the ability to do better and they should.

2 hours ago, NWINFan said:

If the team can get quality relief innings from Lopez, that would be huge. Just get someone in there who won't blow multi-run leads.

That's my biggest takeaway from this game.  Found a solid middle innings guy and didn't have to give up any prospects. I'd use him before Tepera, wouldn't you?

Dropped fly balls?  Luis Robert's had a few in CF and we don't worry about it.  Not that Goodwin's don't peeve me off.

Edited by Stinky Stanky

Goodwin is on a pace, which over a full season would produce the following stat line: 32 doubles, 4 triples, 24 homers and 80 RBI's. He is making almost nothing and is not supposed to be a regular, let alone a star. Compare his production to Moncada's, who it considered a 5 tool super star and has a big contract. Oh, Goodwin's OPS is .788 compared to Moncada's .780. The point is that he has filled in quite well and has even delivered in the clutch, on several occasions. OK, he's not a great fielder. You're getting a lot of value from him and he provides one of the few solid LH bats on the roster.  The negativity and hyperbole is embarrassing.. If you don't like the player, that's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions. However, it would be nice if people were at least fair and magnanimous,  when they opine. 

Back to Moncada: He is falling back into his bad habit of leaving close pitches up to the umpire, when he's in a two strike count. He rarely has long at bats, where he successfully manages to stay alive, fouling off pitches, until he gets something that he can drive. He hits a very high % of line drives, on his batted balls, but he simply refuses to swing, unless he thinks it's a strike. That approach is great, until the hitter has 2 strikes. That habit is precisely what made him so ineffective in 2018. It is conventional wisdom that a hitter should be in protective mode, with 2 strikes. It's baffling why he persists in this overly selective approach, with 2 strikes. Again, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but I personally find him very frustrating to watch at times. He could be so much better. Other guys seem to learn and get better, with more experience and at bats. Yoan seems like he is regressing. I remember when some here were absolutely convinced that Adam Engel would never be a Major League hitter. He has worked hard and developing the skill to become a respectable hitter. I wish that we saw that same kind of growth with Yoan. I'm still hopeful, but he's in his prime now, so it should happen soon, if it's going to happen. He's approaching 2.000 MLB at bats. That is usually enough for a guy to realize his potential. Sorry for the rant.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Goodwin is on a pace, which over a full season would produce the following stat line: 32 doubles, 4 triples, 24 homers and 80 RBI's. He is making almost nothing and is not supposed to be a regular, let alone a star. Compare his production to Moncada's, who it considered a 5 tool super star and has a big contract. Oh, Goodwin's OPS is .788 compared to Moncada's .780. The point is that he has filled in quite well and has even delivered in the clutch, on several occasions. OK, he's not a great fielder. You're getting a lot of value from him and he provides one of the few solid LH bats on the roster.  The negativity and hyperbole is embarrassing.. If you don't like the player, that's fine. We're all entitled to our opinions. However, it would be nice if people were at least fair and magnanimous,  when they opine. 

Back to Moncada: He is falling back into his bad habit of leaving close pitches up to the umpire, when he's in a two strike count. He rarely has long at bats, where he successfully manages to stay alive, fouling off pitches, until he gets something that he can drive. He hits a very high % of line drives, on his batted balls, but he simply refuses to swing, unless he thinks it's a strike. That approach is great, until the hitter has 2 strikes. That habit is precisely what made him so ineffective in 2018. It is conventional wisdom that a hitter should be in protective mode, with 2 strikes. It's baffling why he persists in this overly selective approach, with 2 strikes. Again, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but I personally find him very frustrating to watch at times. He could be so much better. Other guys seem to learn and get better, with more experience and at bats. Yoan seems like he is regressing. I remember when some here were absolutely convinced that Adam Engel would never be a Major League hitter. He has worked hard and developing the skill to become a respectable hitter. I wish that we saw that same kind of growth with Yoan. I'm still hopeful, but he's in his prime now, so it should happen soon, if it's going to happen. He's approaching 2.000 MLB at bats. That is usually enough for a guy to realize his potential. Sorry for the rant.

Excellent post (as most of yours are).

40 minutes ago, asindc said:

Yes Harper is a professional.  So is Goodwin.  Each of them has made unprofessional plays, as referenced in our posts.  Each of them has the ability to do better and they should.

And one makes $300M and the other makes the minimum. Understand the difference ? 2 plays by Harper that are basically just long fly balls missed. 2 plays by Goodwin one of which would've been a HR and the other a sliding attempt running in as hard as he can . There are thousands of errors and misplayed balls but yet all that is focused on instead of the very good 3 games of hitting he just finished. He hit better than anybody on the team for the 3 games unless you want to count the one game by Seby.

The scrubs should not be the ones carrying this team yet Seby had 3 HR's, Goodwin 2, Engel 1 , thats 6 HR's to 1 for Moncada, Anderson and Abreu the ones being paid to be excellent. Y'all need to slow down on the hatred for the scrubs. They are carrying their weight during a difficult time throughout the season.

Responding to the questions about Xavier Fernandez: Yes, he has always been considered a very good defensive catcher. He was blocked by Salvador Perez and Gallagher, in the Royal's system, and was picked up by the Sox. He was always a defense first receiver, but has been hitting, as well, this year.

I remember reading this article when the Sox acquired him, 3 years ago:

https://royalsfarmreport.com/2018/09/11/xavier-fernandez-deserves-a-40-man-roster-spot-this-november/

And yes, I know that he bats right handed. Touche.

Edited by Lillian

The Sox have several substandard outfielders other than Goodwin that can at least catch a fly ball.  

I would not trust Goodwin in the outfield in a play-off game. 

If he doesn't hit the walk-off today, the conversation is different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tray said:

The Sox have several substandard outfielders other than Goodwin that can at least catch a fly ball.  

I would not trust Goodwin in the outfield in a play-off game. 

If he doesn't hit the walk-off today, the conversation is different.

Perhaps, however he did hit the walk off homer today. After all, isn't performance what it's all about? Did you see his stats for the 3 game series? Next to Seby's unbelievable night, Goodwin was arguably the most productive hitter, in the series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

Watching Goodwin this series was much different than seeing his stats.

all players have hot streaks, all players have cold streaks. The length of each determines how good the player is.

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

all players have hot streaks, all players have cold streaks. The length of each determines how good the player is.

You can definitely see why he bounced around and you can see why he keeps getting chances. 

In 2005, on this date, the expected W-L of the White Sox was 62-42. They were 69-35.

This year, their expected record on August 1 was 65-41 and they are 62-44.

Just some perspective is all. Two tremendously different teams, but this one is still down three starters that can all play at an All-Star level, and we've missed two of them for most of the year.

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And one makes $300M and the other makes the minimum. Understand the difference ? 2 plays by Harper that are basically just long fly balls missed. 2 plays by Goodwin one of which would've been a HR and the other a sliding attempt running in as hard as he can . There are thousands of errors and misplayed balls but yet all that is focused on instead of the very good 3 games of hitting he just finished. He hit better than anybody on the team for the 3 games unless you want to count the one game by Seby.

The scrubs should not be the ones carrying this team yet Seby had 3 HR's, Goodwin 2, Engel 1 , thats 6 HR's to 1 for Moncada, Anderson and Abreu the ones being paid to be excellent. Y'all need to slow down on the hatred for the scrubs. They are carrying their weight during a difficult time throughout the season.

It seems that you are lumping my posts in with others who have expressed vitriol at Goodwin, which explains your response to my particular posts.  I have simply expressed criticism for not making defensive plays that any professional should make, regardless of how well they are paid.  No hatred implied or intended.