That’s a White Sox Winner, take the series from the Guardians

South Side Hit Men

49 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps, however he did hit the walk off homer today. After all, isn't performance what it's all about? Did you see his stats for the 3 game series? Next to Seby's unbelievable night, Goodwin was arguably the most productive hitter, in the series.

before the homerun today.. ya he got on base here and there

but before those few games he was like 7 for his last 45 or something.

goodwin was a hero today but he hasn't been very good for quite awhile... both offensively and defensivey.

maybe this home run will spark him.

I would like to tip my cap to Goodwin and Jose.

Jose keeps getting hit up around the head and it's sickening to see. Thanks to him for hanging in there. Goodwin is kind of a stud. He quietly contributes though today's blast was loud. I love me some Goodwin. There's a place for that guy in the big leagues, folks.

Sox have received contributions from a lot of players off and on this season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I would like to tip my cap to Goodwin and Jose.

Jose keeps getting hit up around the head and it's sickening to see. Thanks to him for hanging in there. Goodwin is kind of a stud. He quietly contributes though today's blast was loud. I love me some Goodwin. There's a place for that guy in the big leagues, folks.

Sox have received contributions from a lot of players off and on this season.

his bat is solid.. but his glove is bad - historically he has a negative war rating over his career.

10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

his bat is solid.. but his glove is bad - historically he has a negative war rating over his career.

Too bad he hasn't improved his defense in his career. He's had some nice moments as a Sox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkness99 said:

before the homerun today.. ya he got on base here and there

but before those few games he was like 7 for his last 45 or something.

goodwin was a hero today but he hasn't been very good for quite awhile... both offensively and defensivey.

maybe this home run will spark him.

Here and there ? Try 7 times out of 13 plate appearances. Also 2 Hr's in the 3 game series, 5 runs scored and batted .333

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Brian Goodwin reached base 7 of 13 times this series, scored 5 runs, and hit a walk-off home run.

I’m thrilled he is on this team. Unsung hero. 

We need to give credit when it's due. He was great.

"CaliSoxFan..." and others, like myself, are not trying to say that Goodwin is a great player, or that he should be signed to a long term deal. I think that our point is simply that he has been a serviceable, inexpensive substitute for our injury devastated outfield.  After all, for a good portion of the season, the Sox have been without our top 4 outfield regulars. The guy has contributed and has helped to fill the void. He was never expected to be Adam Engel, or Luis Robert on defense, or to hit like Eloy.

He has been pretty much what he was with the Angels, in 2019 and part of last year. He provides a little power, from the left side and can play all 3 outfield positions, although none of them particularly well. His splits against RHP are actually the best of his career, so far for the Sox. He's hitting .282, with a .383 OBP and a .553 SLG. HIs OPS is .937, which is tops on the team, for anyone with over 50 at bats. That production versus RHP has really helped balance the lineup, which has a recent history of struggling versus right handers. 

None of these players are without flaws and Goodwin is certainly not even close to being a star. However, when a guy is brought in, on a very inexpensive one year contract and contributes to a winning ball club, he deserves to be lauded and appreciated. He has certainly lived up to, and probably exceeded, most people's expectations. As a fan, I simply prefer to applaud his efforts and root for him to continue, until this team can get healthy. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Too bad he hasn't improved his defense in his career. He's had some nice moments as a Sox.

7 hours ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Brian Goodwin reached base 7 of 13 times this series, scored 5 runs, and hit a walk-off home run.

I’m thrilled he is on this team. Unsung hero. 

Still hard to believe one of the worst teams in baseball DFA'd him.  I wonder if he just didn't fit in with Pittsburgh?

19 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Still hard to believe one of the worst teams in baseball DFA'd him.  I wonder if he just didn't fit in with Pittsburgh?

It's because the Pirates know how to win. The Sox don't. JR is getting played by his front office. Horrible, horrible. They need to start over. 

The fact that there are actual people who take time out of their day to post this type of stuff on a White Sox message board when the team is basically cruising to the playoffs despite missing almost half of its line-up for a good chunk of the season, just fascinates me.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Sox should start live streaming minor league games like they do Spring Training games...for the baseball addicted.

They were showing some Charlotte games in previous seasons. Maybe because most of the interesting players have graduated to Chicago, they don't do it anymore. That station could use some alternative programming.

Just now, tray said:

Sox should start live streaming minor league games like they do Spring Training games...for the baseball addicted.

MiLB.TV is $30 for the rest of the year and all four of the Sox affiliates stream their games. If the Sox aren't on, I'll usually put one of these games on in the background. You have to really enjoy the minors to get your worth.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

"CaliSoxFan..." and others, like myself, are not trying to say that Goodwin is a great player, or that he should be signed to a long term deal. I think that our point is simply that he has been a serviceable, inexpensive substitute for our injury devastated outfield.  After all, for a good portion of the season, the Sox have been without our top 4 outfield regulars. The guy has contributed and has helped to fill the void. He was never expected to be Adam Engel, or Luis Robert on defense, or to hit like Eloy.

He has been pretty much what he was with the Angels, in 2019 and part of last year. He provides a little power, from the left side and can play all 3 outfield positions, although none of them particularly well. His splits against RHP are actually the best of his career, so far for the Sox. He's hitting .282, with a .383 OBP and a .553 SLG. HIs OPS is .937, which is tops on the team, for anyone with over 50 at bats. That production versus RHP has really helped balance the lineup, which has a recent history of struggling versus right handers. 

None of these players are without flaws and Goodwin is certainly not even close to being a star. However, when a guy is brought in, on a very inexpensive one year contract and contributes to a winning ball club, he deserves to be lauded and appreciated. He has certainly lived up to, and probably exceeded, most people's expectations. As a fan, I simply prefer to applaud his efforts and root for him to continue, until this team can get healthy. 

Exactly we are the glass half full supporters of Goodwin rather than the glass half empty bashers.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly we are the glass half full supporters of Goodwin rather than the glass half empty bashers.

I like Goodwin and while watching his at-bat on the subway platform actually felt like he was gonna hit a walkoff. Dude fits this team's attitude like a glove and I want him in October because when he does cool shit, it electrifies the stadium.

My problem is it went like this:

Goodwin hits amazing walk-off, bat flip of the year

No one:

Lillian: Were you aware that Yoan Moncada is not worth his contract?

Any time a left-hander hits a home run, Lillian immediately ignores that defense / OBP is a part of the game and starts pounding the desk like J. Jonah Jameson asking for pictures of Spider-Man, ragging on Moncada and singing the lefties praises. 

• Haha 2

I'm not certain it would be wise to have a Right fielder in a playoff game when he has  demonstrated difficulty  tracking and catching fly balls. The best argument to keep Goodwin appears to be that Lamb and Sheets are probably not much better out there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

I'm not certain it would be wise to have a Right fielder in a playoff game when he has  demonstrated difficulty  tracking and catching fly balls. The best argument to keep Goodwin appears to be that Lamb and Sheets are probably not much better out there.

Goodwin is still a MUCH better OFer than Sheets and Lamb. Neither of those guys would even get close to the 2 balls Goodwin dropped and I think Goodwin is a bad OFer. Sheets has the range of Nelson Cruz and Lamb is basically position-less. 

44 minutes ago, Quin said:

I like Goodwin and while watching his at-bat on the subway platform actually felt like he was gonna hit a walkoff. Dude fits this team's attitude like a glove and I want him in October because when he does cool shit, it electrifies the stadium.

My problem is it went like this:

Any time a left-hander hits a home run, Lillian immediately ignores that defense / OBP is a part of the game and starts pounding the desk like J. Jonah Jameson asking for pictures of Spider-Man, ragging on Moncada and singing the lefties praises. 

I think it's a matter of expectations. You don't expect much from Goodwin but we expect more from guys like Moncada, Timmy and Abreu.  After a lot of AB's we actually still have no idea what to expect from him. Yes we get a very good fielding 3rd baseman, a guy who hits the ball hard,a definite 5 WAR type guy . Right now what we don't know about him is where is the best place to hit him. Is it the middle or the top of the order ?

I think we all want to see that guy from 2019 again and maybe he will never be that guy again. He had the lowest walk rate of his short career but his best offensive year. Of course I think we are more than pleased with his production . However he is a Yo-Yo as far as the type of player we are seeing from year to year.

If this is the Yoan we get from now on that's cool.  He's a very valuable player just not as valuable as many want him to be. I suppose the same thing can be said about Goodwin when others complain about his fielding.  I know it's seems out of place to express concerns about the teams best player but maybe a lot of people want or expect that WAR to be above a 6 . Most the the truly elite players in baseball usually hit in the 25+ HR range.

Remember the wild predictions thread ? I think the most popular one was Yoan was going to win the MVP and that kind of year requires a 8+ WAR usually. The offense can certainly use our veteran players stepping up offensively whether it's Moncada, Timmy , Abreu . Eloy will be a huge help as will Grandal and Robert and perhaps it will have a domino effect and they all perk up.