That’s a White Sox Winner, take the series from the Guardians

South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Goodwin is still a MUCH better OFer than Sheets and Lamb. Neither of those guys would even get close to the 2 balls Goodwin dropped and I think Goodwin is a bad OFer. Sheets has the range of Nelson Cruz and Lamb is basically position-less. 

While I don't think Sheets is a good defender, I've been surprised by his range.  He's made a couple catches in the gap I was shocked he got to.  I think he makes that play yesterday.  I also think Goodwin makes that play most of the time.  The ball Goodwin dropped on Saturday night, Sheets just plays off the wall.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tray said:

I'm not certain it would be wise to have a Right fielder in a playoff game when he has  demonstrated difficulty  tracking and catching fly balls. The best argument to keep Goodwin appears to be that Lamb and Sheets are probably not much better out there.

But Engel is . There is no such thing as having a perfect situation. Vaughn isn't the end all, be all of OF defense either. He is passable, but he's going to be a starter in the playoffs because of his improved bat. The thing you want to avoid is having 2 less than ideal defenders in the corners . Goodwin, as well as he has been hitting, probably shouldn't be getting more playing time than Engel despite being the strong side of the platoon. As soon as Engel is deemed fit enough to play 70% of the time, perhaps after Robert returns, we will see him more.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it's a matter of expectations. You don't expect much from Goodwin but we expect more from guys like Moncada, Timmy and Abreu.  After a lot of AB's we actually still have no idea what to expect from him. Yes we get a very good fielding 3rd baseman, a guy who hits the ball hard,a definite 5 WAR type guy . Right now what we don't know about him is where is the best place to hit him. Is it the middle or the top of the order ?

I think we all want to see that guy from 2019 again and maybe he will never be that guy again. He had the lowest walk rate of his short career but his best offensive year. Of course I think we are more than pleased with his production . However he is a Yo-Yo as far as the type of player we are seeing from year to year.

If this is the Yoan we get from now on that's cool.  He's a very valuable player just not as valuable as many want him to be. I suppose the same thing can be said about Goodwin when others complain about his fielding.  I know it's seems out of place to express concerns about the teams best player but maybe a lot of people want or expect that WAR to be above a 6 . Most the the truly elite players in baseball usually hit in the 25+ HR range.

Remember the wild predictions thread ? I think the most popular one was Yoan was going to win the MVP and that kind of year requires a 8+ WAR usually. The offense can certainly use our veteran players stepping up offensively whether it's Moncada, Timmy , Abreu . Eloy will be a huge help as will Grandal and Robert and perhaps it will have a domino effect and they all perk up.

Great point, we do expect a lot from Moncada, Timmy, and Abreu!

They're currently the first, second, and fourth most valuable White Sox position players. Yes, Moncada hasn't made the baseball go brrrr, but he gets on base a lot and saves a lot of runs. 

You were also cool with us acquiring Starling Marte if we didn't get Gallo. Marte has less homers than Moncada, so I guess homers didn't matter in his case?

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I don't think Sheets is a good defender, I've been surprised by his range.  He's made a couple catches in the gap I was shocked he got to.  I think he makes that play yesterday.  I also think Goodwin makes that play most of the time.  The ball Goodwin dropped on Saturday night, Sheets just plays off the wall.  

Sheets plays really deep so he might have actually had a better shot at the ball Chang hit. It's also why he probably has gotten to some balls in the gap that you wouldn't expect him to. He just looks sluggish and slow out there. Goodwin definitely played Chang shallow (I don't blame him, Chang can't hit) which is why he had issues catching that ball to begin with. 

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But Engel is . There is no such thing as having a perfect situation. Vaughn isn't the end all, be all of OF defense either. He is passable, but he's going to be a starter in the playoffs because of his improved bat. The thing you want to avoid is having 2 less than ideal defenders in the corners . Goodwin, as well as he has been hitting, probably shouldn't be getting more playing time than Engel despite being the strong side of the platoon. As soon as Engel is deemed fit enough to play 70% of the time, perhaps after Robert returns, we will see him more.

In the playoffs, it almost has to be either Engel or Vaughn playing RF, assuming relative health among our OFs.

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

All of the scared of the Tribe gang can come out from under the covers now.

Here’s what I don’t understand: If the Sox lose 2 of 3 to a team and some people are upset, they’re told it’s a long season, doesn’t mean much, stop being negative, always something to complain about etc etc.

But if the Sox win 2 of 3 it’s supposed to be conclusive as to which team is superior over the other? 

For the record, I don’t see Cleveland as a threat at all, but it has nothing to do with this past series. I just don’t follow the logic that a series can mean nothing or determine the better team, depending on whether the Sox won the series.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Great point, we do expect a lot from Moncada, Timmy, and Abreu!

They're currently the first, second, and fourth most valuable White Sox position players. Yes, Moncada hasn't made the baseball go brrrr, but he gets on base a lot and saves a lot of runs. 

You were also cool with us acquiring Starling Marte if we didn't get Gallo. Marte has less homers than Moncada, so I guess homers didn't matter in his case?

Well my 1st choice was Gallo because of HR's and defense and the extra year but Marte is still a very good player  and very good player improve the team and I am all for improving the team in any manner available. In the off season, when assessing what you need, a more consistent read on our guys helps knowing who to pursue. But in a short season like after the deadline I would have preferred the power guy who plays good defense over the more consistent hitter  who plays good defense but low power guy because the team wasn't showing much power. I didn't want to have to expect Eloy, Robert and Grandal all to be 100% their usual powerful selves to deliver bombs.

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

Here’s what I don’t understand: If the Sox lose 2 of 3 to a team and some people are upset, they’re told it’s a long season, doesn’t mean much, stop being negative, always something to complain about etc etc.

But if the Sox win 2 of 3 it’s supposed to be conclusive as to which team is superior over the other? 

For the record, I don’t see Cleveland as a threat at all, but it has nothing to do with this past series. I just don’t follow the logic that a series can mean nothing or determine the better team, depending on whether the Sox won the series.

Who said winning 2 of 3 is “conclusive as to which team is superior over the other”? If people are saying that with confidence it probably has more to do with, you know, the 9-game lead.

3 hours ago, tray said:

Sox should start live streaming minor league games like they do Spring Training games...for the baseball addicted.

Unfortunately there are NO GAMES every Monday in MiLB... ugh! Monday's are the worst! However, I like their schedule where they play the same team for 6 games and everyone has Monday off. I wouldn't mind MLB adapting some sort of schedule like this, maybe the AL has Monday's off and the NL Tuesday off (which wouldn't work for interleague), but it would cut down on travel. I'm sure there is a genius out there that could make this work! 

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well my 1st choice was Gallo because of HR's and defense and the extra year but Marte is still a very good player  and very good player improve the team and I am all for improving the team in any manner available. In the off season, when assessing what you need, a more consistent read on our guys helps knowing who to pursue. But in a short season like after the deadline I would have preferred the power guy who plays good defense over the more consistent hitter  who plays good defense but low power guy because the team wasn't showing much power. I didn't want to have to expect Eloy, Robert and Grandal all to be 100% their usual powerful selves to deliver bombs.

So Marte with 7 homers in 293 plate appearances >>> Brian Goodwin with 6 homers in 156 plate appearances.

The expectations would be very high on Marte if we traded for him, a lot like they are on Moncada, no? Where would we have put him the lineup if we're having such struggles finding a spot for equally high OBP players like Moncada?

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Who said winning 2 of 3 is “conclusive as to which team is superior over the other”? If people are saying that with confidence it probably has more to do with, you know, the 9-game lead.

Fair enough. Maybe I misinterpreted the post I initially quoted.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In the playoffs, it almost has to be either Engel or Vaughn playing RF, assuming relative health among our OFs.

world series?

I think provided everyone is healthy the post season roster looks like this.

Anderson - SS
Robert - CF
Moncada# - 3B
Jimenez - DH
Abreu - 1B
Grandal# - C
Vaughn - LF
Sheets* / Goodwin* / Engel (Hot Hand) - RF
Hernandez# - 2B

Collins* - C
Garcia# - UT
Engel / Sheets* or Goodwin* - OF
Hamilton - OF

Lynn
Rodon*
Giolito
Cease

Hendriks
Kimbrel
Bummer*
Kopech
Crochet*
Tepera
Ruiz
Lopez
Keuchel*

Bummer and Crochet seem to be coming around, Tepera hasn't been good but I believe he'll come around too. Kopech struggling a bit but he's a quality arm and he'll be there when needed. Kimbrel has been lights out...Hendriks gives up too many HRs when he gets predictable, needs to mix in more his offspeed pitches, when his slider is working, he's unhittable. This is the makings of an elite bullpen in the postseason.

When October comes around, who goes to the bullpen from our 5 starters? Cease who is still figuring out his craft but has shown some quality starts vs good teams or Kuechel who isn't what he was a few years ago but is an experienced playoffs pitcher? 

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

So Marte with 7 homers in 293 plate appearances >>> Brian Goodwin with 6 homers in 156 plate appearances.

The expectations would be very high on Marte if we traded for him, a lot like they are on Moncada, no? Where would we have put him the lineup if we're having such struggles finding a spot for equally high OBP players like Moncada?

Yes Marte over Goodwin or Engel X100 .

Assuming Tim is going to bat lead off practically all the time I don't want to spend too much time envisioning where Marte would've been put in the lineup. He probably would  be a better leadoff hitter then Timmy  but then where does Tim bat ? Marte went 3/4 with a walk and 3 stolen bases yesterday.In a loaded lineup assuming everyone is healthy Marte, Moncada,Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn, Robert, Timmy, Grandal, Hernandez or any variation .

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes Marte over Goodwin or Engel X100 .

Assuming Tim is going to bat lead off practically all the time I don't want to spend too much time envisioning where Marte would've been put in the lineup. He probably would  be a better leadoff hitter then Timmy  but then where does Tim bat ? Marte went 3/4 with a walk and 3 stolen bases yesterday.In a loaded lineup assuming everyone is healthy Marte, Moncada,Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn, Robert, Timmy, Grandal, Hernandez or any variation .

Hell yeah! Give me all the high OBP, defensive stalwart dudes, regardless of handedness! 

(I don't think the Sox would have matched Luzardo in a trade, but, c'est la vie)

I think Sheets right now is the odd man out if the Sox go with 13 pitchers. Goodwin's OPS is within 20 points of Sheets and offers more position flexibility.  

If they Sox go with 12 pitchers, Lopez is probably out unless he keeps pitching at a 1.29 ERA.  

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

Hell yeah! Give me all the high OBP, defensive stalwart dudes, regardless of handedness! 

(I don't think the Sox would have matched Luzardo in a trade, but, c'est la vie)

I wrote a thread about a month ago asking if we would ever get to see a season where we get Eloy and Robert at their best in the same season because they are both so frequently injured. I should have included Moncada and perhaps Vaughn too. If we envision them all playing 150 games in the same season and all of them being able to reach their vast potential in the same season try imagining that lineup .  Eloy .300 40+ Hr's, Robert .300 35+ Hr's , Moncada .300 25 + bombs and Vaughn .300 25+ HR's. That's the season I am hoping to see. Maybe next year now that the Sox resigned Lynn.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Still hard to believe one of the worst teams in baseball DFA'd him.  I wonder if he just didn't fit in with Pittsburgh?

He's been on more teams (five) than he has service time years (four). He is a marginal 5th OF, decent platoon bat, poor glove and he's 30, that is why he is consistently DFAd.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think it's a matter of expectations. You don't expect much from Goodwin but we expect more from guys like Moncada, Timmy and Abreu.  After a lot of AB's we actually still have no idea what to expect from him. Yes we get a very good fielding 3rd baseman, a guy who hits the ball hard,a definite 5 WAR type guy . Right now what we don't know about him is where is the best place to hit him. Is it the middle or the top of the order ?

I think we all want to see that guy from 2019 again and maybe he will never be that guy again. He had the lowest walk rate of his short career but his best offensive year. Of course I think we are more than pleased with his production . However he is a Yo-Yo as far as the type of player we are seeing from year to year.

If this is the Yoan we get from now on that's cool.  He's a very valuable player just not as valuable as many want him to be. I suppose the same thing can be said about Goodwin when others complain about his fielding.  I know it's seems out of place to express concerns about the teams best player but maybe a lot of people want or expect that WAR to be above a 6 . Most the the truly elite players in baseball usually hit in the 25+ HR range.

Remember the wild predictions thread ? I think the most popular one was Yoan was going to win the MVP and that kind of year requires a 8+ WAR usually. The offense can certainly use our veteran players stepping up offensively whether it's Moncada, Timmy , Abreu . Eloy will be a huge help as will Grandal and Robert and perhaps it will have a domino effect and they all perk up.

He's so good with the glove. A true vaccuum.

Since we are being critical today, why is it Sheets no longer is consistently pounding the fastball for hits when he did it early on? Do hitters start to worry about the curve/slider thus it affects their ability to rake? Man this game is humbling.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He's been on more teams (five) than he has service time years (four). He is a marginal 5th OF, decent platoon bat, poor glove and he's 30, that is why he is consistently DFAd.

But by the Pirates...