2021-22 NBA Thread

31 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I actually like how the Bulls have used the cap space / roster flexibility here. Operating above the cap is huge - they could go resign Lauri if they wanted to - plus get the MLE for a guy like Rose and the RMLE and than maybe add a Javal McGee as a glue guy late off the bench.  I like that usage - or they can pivot Lauri and Thaddeus for other parts they like more (in terms of fit). 

If somehow they add Derozan - I don't mind the fit - he's a good passer, and can play defense. I know Miami/Lowry are trying to recruit Derozan but I don't know that Miami can offer anything more than the MLE and Bulls could get him more.  If you add Derozan and Ball (plus MLE/RMLE) - that is a heck of a lot better passing team and a much upgraded defensive team.  

They need a McGee or someone like him to protect the rim.  DeRozan is something of a duplication of Zach, no?

17 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

They need a McGee or someone like him to protect the rim.  DeRozan is something of a duplication of Zach, no?

Derozan is a better passer, and defender and is nowhere near the shooter - so I think they are decent fits. Both can slash though. Derozan is also pretty good at getting to line if I remember right. 

39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Derozan is also pretty good at getting to line if I remember right. 

Correct. And they really need that since Vucevic can not get to the line and isn't very efficient as a scorer (what saves him is his 3 point shooting and spacing the floor). DeRozan provides both of those.

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We signed Caruso? What the hell? 

My Laker fan buddies always loved him - I always thought he was overreacted. Presume this is the MLE money and now we are left to the RMLE, minimum deals, and potential S&T's with Lauri (as well as ability to dangle Thad).  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

My Laker fan buddies always loved him - I always thought he was overreacted. Presume this is the MLE money and now we are left to the RMLE, minimum deals, and potential S&T's with Lauri (as well as ability to dangle Thad).  

Guessing he's the plan B to Rose, who signed like minutes before this for $6 million more. 

Just now, bmags said:

I’d prefer him to Rose, and that’s the MLE money

They still technically could resign Theis (I think - since over the cap - but I might be wrong cause they probably don't have bird rights).  But certainly still have at least one more big swing left (re: Lauri/Thad as assets).  

One thing I like - Caruso can shoot 3ball and play pretty good defense (from what I remember). That said - he was put in a pretty good spot playing next to Davis, Lebrun at time, so I think there is risk this ends up a pretty poor signing, but for now - its the offseason, so I will cheer it like all the other moves and hope the best case scenario plays itself out.  If nothing else - this is looking like a far more existing offseason than I was projecting.  

• Like 1

So now I'm really curious what the final big move will be. They'll have some other small ones - but they have the ability to get one more impact player and even if Lauri accepted his qualifying offer - they basically are a better team that you can than flip Lauri, Coby, Williams, Thad, and others to make things work for any disgruntled superstar (or some combination of them). Or presuming the more likely that they pivot Lauri and Thad / AMinu into another S&T (even if 3 teams involved) - than they are even better destined for a potential move. 

Shoot...next thing you know its going to be...Bulls acquire a real star. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Theis signed for $1 million less with Houston. Honestly, I'd rather have Theis than Caruso, but we'll see what other moves they make. 

I was bummed Theis signed. I was hoping they would go over the cap on Theis and use their bird rights on him too.  Theis brings a toughness down low that they are missing big time.  But between Caruso and Ball - their back court D has taken a massive step forward.  

Bulls doing a S&T with Houston for THeis - will get a trade exception worth $9M.  I don't exactly know what that means - but basically we can go acquire someone for $9M at this point and trade it for this. Will be curious if the Bulls actually use this cause I would have thought Theis at this price was better than Caruso.  I'm also curious if maybe White is about to get dangled in a move bigger than any of us are thinking (not like there was any smoke before the Caruso news broke).  Bulls could use a real athletic and talented big (as could most teams haha). 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bulls doing a S&T with Houston for THeis - will get a trade exception worth $9M.  I don't exactly know what that means - but basically we can go acquire someone for $9M at this point and trade it for this. Will be curious if the Bulls actually use this cause I would have thought Theis at this price was better than Caruso.  I'm also curious if maybe White is about to get dangled in a move bigger than any of us are thinking (not like there was any smoke before the Caruso news broke).  Bulls could use a real athletic and talented big (as could most teams haha). 

Actually - I wonder if the Bulls can take that TPE and send it to the Lakers - thus Bulls maintain the full MLE still.  I see no reason Lakers wouldn't do that - cause it would certainly help them a ton (more a question of whether AKME want to help out Lakers).  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If we were going to lose Theis, I like doing it this way.  That's a big trade exception that could come in very handy.

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Actually - I wonder if the Bulls can take that TPE and send it to the Lakers - thus Bulls maintain the full MLE still.  I see no reason Lakers wouldn't do that - cause it would certainly help them a ton (more a question of whether AKME want to help out Lakers).  

We could possibly send it to the Lakers for Caruso and retain the MLE if we want, because the cap is ridiculous.

Even if these moves don't pan out, I love it already.  Can you imagine GarPax pulling off a double sign and trade for DeRozan (not that it's occurred; just the idea of doing it), or getting the Pelicans to make a quick decision on Ball so our money is not tied up waiting for them to make a decision?

It's so refreshing to have a front office with some imagination and a great understanding of the nuances of navigating the salary cap/managing a roster.  The days of simple, narrow thinking are gone.  I love it.

Edited by dasox24

1 minute ago, Quin said:

We could possibly send it to the Lakers for Caruso and retain the MLE if we want, because the cap is ridiculous.

This - this would be great - cause they'd retain the MLE and that is more fluid and no reason Lakers say no.  I already feel like this group is playing some of the 3D stuff (common sense) that the former regime didn't do enough of.  Call it leveraging an additional resource which to the ownerships credit - takes financial wherewither to do and it seems like they are giving the front office that cash. No clue whether Pax just didn't push it or what. I know they had some TPE's in past - but felt like everytime they ended up expiring/not being used.

Right now they have leveraged every asset they basically had this offseason.  Santo in S&T kept flexibility for Lonzo (While staying over cap - huge cause it gave you MLE) and now the use of this and they maintained Thad for flexibility (or to keep) and the Laurie move positions them to get value from him too.  If they just let these guys walk they would have been bare bones in operations (and also from a cash flow perspective ownership would have saved a ton).  They literally have done everything right in terms of maximizing use of its assets (whether you like the players they got/picked - that is its own question - but they have certainly used everything at their fingertips thus far in their first real offseason in charge).  

I get the theis love, he was the only nice part about the last 20 games last year.

That said, having multiple good perimeter defenders needed to happen IMO more than Theis. Maybe Caruso offensively won’t do enough, but he is so good defensively, I had no idea bulls had him on radar.