2021-22 NBA Thread

11 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

He seems trimmer to me, but I could be imagining it.  His 3 looks a little more fluid but as he's already had one attempt blocked I still think he'll have trouble getting it off under even the slightest pressure.  What still jumps out at me is his complete inability to put the ball on the floor and drive by anyone, especially in a summer league game.  Be it lack of handle, confidence, or lack of foot speed, its a big red flag to me.

There's definitely some "meh" plays with him looking timid with the ball or mishandling but between the first two game highlights but there's several impressive ones in my opinion getting open or making things happen both with and without the ball and around the rim.  I think he has shown his quickness quite a few times but there are some where he looks like he's moving in slow motion and not being aggressive when he's got the ball at the top of the key.  My assumption is that he's not completely comfortable being the #1 facilitator (and maybe not in his grown body yet) and that's what they have him working on in summer league.  During the year, probably won't see him as #1 that often with all the playmakers they have now.  With how explosive he is around the glass and off the ball, as well as him showing a good jab step and passing on post ups, he doesn't really need to be blowing by guys all the time (yet).  If he gets that part of his game going, watch out.   Most players have weaknesses early on in their career (Kawhi didn't have that great of handles early on either) and it's way too early to have a big red flag on him IMO.  

1 hour ago, Chi Town Sox said:

There's definitely some "meh" plays with him looking timid with the ball or mishandling but between the first two game highlights but there's several impressive ones in my opinion getting open or making things happen both with and without the ball and around the rim.  I think he has shown his quickness quite a few times but there are some where he looks like he's moving in slow motion and not being aggressive when he's got the ball at the top of the key.  My assumption is that he's not completely comfortable being the #1 facilitator (and maybe not in his grown body yet) and that's what they have him working on in summer league.  During the year, probably won't see him as #1 that often with all the playmakers they have now.  With how explosive he is around the glass and off the ball, as well as him showing a good jab step and passing on post ups, he doesn't really need to be blowing by guys all the time (yet).  If he gets that part of his game going, watch out.   Most players have weaknesses early on in their career (Kawhi didn't have that great of handles early on either) and it's way too early to have a big red flag on him IMO.  

Great post and I agree with everything you said. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Another thing to keep in mind about Patrick Williams is he is still a teenager for a couple more weeks.

Absolutely.  Not that this is something you can count on, but it's another added benefit of taking the youngest player in the draft.  Sometimes guys aren't done growing.  Sounds like he's grown another inch or two this year, based on what they said on the BullsTalk podcast earlier this week.

11 hours ago, Chi Town Sox said:

I doubt they care much about the "n word" being used as they do them supposedly being pushed and injuring the officer.  If he did, he definitely should be disciplined and forced to stand during the anthem (LOL)

That can go away from this thread.

It's racist and stereotyping.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, knightni said:

That can go away from this thread.

It's racist and stereotyping.

Yeah I’m actually black so I’d argue that comment is out of line…

I forgot for a second we live in a world where we can throw out that word loosely. It was a joke (hence the LOL) and nothing about it is racist. He assaulted an officer, just commenting on the irony of his actions.   

He kneels or sits to stand for something and then does the same shit. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox

1 minute ago, scs787 said:

Rumors out there of a Lauri for Maxi Kleber trade. This would be a really good move from what I can tell. Looks to be about the same offensively as Lauri, but is said to be a really good defender. 

He is a major step down from Lauri.  Not saying he's a bad player but Lauri is significantly better.  I would much prefer playing it tough and forcing Lauri to play for Bulls for one more year (and assume that he'll eventually get on board) or a path that gets an eventual FRP back while the team using more TPE's for any finishing touch moves.  

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is a major step down from Lauri.  Not saying he's a bad player but Lauri is significantly better.  I would much prefer playing it tough and forcing Lauri to play for Bulls for one more year (and assume that he'll eventually get on board) or a path that gets an eventual FRP back while the team using more TPE's for any finishing touch moves.  

I will caveat - Kleber's basketball fit might be better (in sense that the Bulls really need defense - which Kleber is supposedly pretty good at).  

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will caveat - Kleber's basketball fit might be better (in sense that the Bulls really need defense - which Kleber is supposedly pretty good at).  

Yeah, he may be a step down in scoring, but the boost on defense could be worth it. He's a guy that Rick Carlisle started over Porzingus in the playoffs to defend Kawhii and he also has given Giannis problems in the past as well from what I read. 

I still like the idea of keeping Lauri around but that's mainly because he can stretch the floor. While Maxi may not have as complete an offensive game as Lauri, he still shot over 40% from 3 last year. 

I like the fit. 

AYO with another real solid game.  You can never project greatness out of summer league, but you can sometimes see guys who just don't fit via it and at least first impression is AYO can definitely be the kind of guy who develops into a quality rotational player.  

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

AYO with another real solid game.  You can never project greatness out of summer league, but you can sometimes see guys who just don't fit via it and at least first impression is AYO can definitely be the kind of guy who develops into a quality rotational player.  

I feel like ayo for now will be like a David nwaba 

• 2 weeks later...

The Lauri saga is ova. 

He's going to Cleveland in a 3 team deal. Bulls are getting Derrick Jones Jr. and a 1st round lottery protected pick from Portland....real nice to get a 1st rounder. Jones is meh but boy, Bulls may have the best dunkers in the league now.