2021-22 NBA Thread

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Well played - I was about to post this - but sounds like a bit more smoke. I'm curious - obviously we are all assuming Lauri, but another route is Thad and some scraps (Valentine for example might be a fit) - to make things work cap wise with in a S&T (where Bulls pick Lauri over Thad).  The nice thing about Derozan is - as you stagger minutes - he can be a primary ball handler with more of the bench players in - which is nice.  Having multiple guys who can create is a major plus - and Derozan avg's more assists than any Bulls since prime Drose this past year.  

I really really like the idea of Derozan.  

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Well played - I was about to post this - but sounds like a bit more smoke. I'm curious - obviously we are all assuming Lauri, but another route is Thad and some scraps (Valentine for example might be a fit) - to make things work cap wise with in a S&T (where Bulls pick Lauri over Thad).  The nice thing about Derozan is - as you stagger minutes - he can be a primary ball handler with more of the bench players in - which is nice.  Having multiple guys who can create is a major plus - and Derozan avg's more assists than any Bulls since prime Drose this past year.  

I really really like the idea of Derozan.  

They can probably throw in that $8 million TPE they got from Theis too. 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They can probably throw in that $8 million TPE they got from Theis too. 

You can't use TPE's with other players. So they aren't "stackable" per say.  But either way - they have options - if Spurs / Lauri are the fit - you go that way; if they'd prefer someone on final year of deal who is a solid vet like Thad to built it around you have that option.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would say when KC tweets something you know there is kindling but who knows if that's still true with AKME

Usually when KC tweets - things have already happened haha.  I like KC - but breaking news was never his thing with the past regime haha.  This is good though - I think this is a potential top 5 team in the east (and by that I mean 4 or 5...not better) with DeRozan and I didn't see many scenarios going into this offseason where I would have said this.  

And if a star becomes available - based upon how thus far this regime has acted this offseason, I figure they'll package some of these guys plus White and/or Williams and future picks.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Usually when KC tweets - things have already happened haha.  I like KC - but breaking news was never his thing with the past regime haha.  This is good though - I think this is a potential top 5 team in the east (and by that I mean 4 or 5...not better) with DeRozan and I didn't see many scenarios going into this offseason where I would have said this.  

And if a star becomes available - based upon how thus far this regime has acted this offseason, I figure they'll package some of these guys plus White and/or Williams and future picks.  

He was good at letting you know what the bulls weren't going to do even if the fans wanted it to happen and it was a good idea.

This is tough. Not gonna lie.

It is a funny team, sort of a collection of guys that are better than given credit for but not the ideal superstar, all put on the same team. It's like the All "no I can't put them on All-NBA" team

Just now, bmags said:

It is a funny team, sort of a collection of guys that are better than given credit for but not the ideal superstar, all put on the same team. It's like the All "no I can't put them on All-NBA" team

At the very least they're a playoff team again, almost assuredly.

I have no idea how good they'll end up being.

Could care less about the 2nd round picks - you can buy those all day long.  The money - who cares. I presume we'll find a team option on the 3rd year..,.but he's not too old (31). Past his prime, yes, but this a guy who put up 22 and 7 dimes per game.  This team is a lot better - and now they are in a spot where they should be an attractive destination for a star to force their way and you still have young chips like Williams, White, Lauri (who I presume now is going to stay).  

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Think of it this way - White was one of the worst PG's in the NBA and the back court D was atrocious.  They replaced that with Lonzo (who worse case is a mediocre starting PG -> best case we see more steps forward) and you have Caruso (elite defender - which was a huge hole and solid 3P shooter but on low volume).  Maybe Caruso is compared to Valentine and Caruso clear upgrade.

Derozan is significant upgrade compared to production they got from Williams/others on wing.  So entire wing is massively upgraded -> bench stronger too (Thad gone - but replaced with White/Williams and you can assume Derozan will get some good run as a ball distributor on this side).  

This team is a heck of a lot better. Pretty clear team is stacking things up to be an attractive destination and next year I have a feeling this front office will just use any of these contracts and parts to S&T if the opportunity is there.  This is no longer the - dont' sign anyone just in case - this is the - we are going to roll with as good of a team as we can maximizing all parts and we'll consistently churn things to get better. 

Front office didn't build a perfect team - but they leveraged a ton of assets to make themselves better while maintaining flexibility to move up (with the only piece being I don't think the 1st round pick was needed).