2021-22 NBA Thread

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Wait, the Bulls sent 3 firsts to Orlando?

I think he worded it poorly.  I think he maybe meant that we owe the 2023 pick (protected) and if it doesn't convey, they it goes to Orlando in 2024.  Either that, or Marks is just flat out wrong.

1 minute ago, dasox24 said:

I think he worded it poorly.  I think he maybe meant that we owe the 2023 pick (protected) and if it doesn't convey, they it goes to Orlando in 2024.  Either that, or Marks is just flat out wrong.

Got it, that makes sense with 2024 as a backup option on the protection.

I think this is the first off-season where almost everything went according to plan by this FO. 

How many times have we gone into the off-season with some FA/trade rumors that never materialize? How many times were we the 2nd or 3rd team for a big free agent?

When I saw the Lonzo + DeMar rumors, I didn't actually think they'd pull it off. Yet here we are. 

34 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think if you are a 4 or 5 seed - that is 100% okay - because the strategy isn't just to roll with this group for the next 5 years - it is to constantly look at upgrading it. But being a good team is going to make it a lot easier for someone to say - hey I want to go there and at this point - I've seen real creativity out of the front office that makes me think if Harden were on the block this year - they'd figure out a way with this roster to trade various pieces to get Harden. 

The Harden was more of an example - but just pick your disgruntled star.  If the Bulls are on the short list - I think this front office will figure out a way to do it - and than turn this 4/5 seed type of team into a 1/2 seed type of team.  And rinse and repeat and just keep doing it. Kind of has a Darryl Morey type of vibe to it.  

100% agree. I don't see this bulls team beating a full strength nets to say the least. But it has 4 near-great players. It has a potential player that could jump. It has a microwave guy in Coby White and a dominant defensive guard. Now it's about finding the players around them to make them all shine.

Having big, not that long term contracts is actually a benefit to getting a super star.

So happy that we proved something that crushed me for years. The Nick Freidell-esque "who could bulls have got!?" which depended on the very literal use of salary cap and players. Where there is a will there is a way in the NBA up to a point. And now we need some luck and maximize the drafts and player development, and bide time until the next opportunity appears.

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Wait, the Bulls sent 3 firsts to Orlando?

Nope - 2 FRP; They got this most recent one and now the 2023 one (unless it falls within the protections). I guess the bright side is - with the Bulls stinking this year they got one of the picks out of the way haha.  

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

100% agree. I don't see this bulls team beating a full strength nets to say the least. But it has 4 near-great players. It has a potential player that could jump. It has a microwave guy in Coby White and a dominant defensive guard. Now it's about finding the players around them to make them all shine.

Having big, not that long term contracts is actually a benefit to getting a super star.

So happy that we proved something that crushed me for years. The Nick Freidell-esque "who could bulls have got!?" which depended on the very literal use of salary cap and players. Where there is a will there is a way in the NBA up to a point. And now we need some luck and maximize the drafts and player development, and bide time until the next opportunity appears.

They are finally playing chess while other front offices are playing checkers.  So refreshing and I finally can appreciate why other teams (see the Heat, Lakers and Clippers in more recent years) have always found a way.  

• Like 1

I want Whiteside now. He's matched up somewhat well with Giannis in the past holding him to "Only" 20ppg. 

In the price range I think he's just the perfect fit for what this team needs.....I still don't know if Khem Whatshisface is a real person or not. 

• Like 1

What an offseason - man. I know they got a few more things to do - but I used to have to squint and hope that White and Williams really panned out to be a playoff team or anything better than a 7 or 8 and now they are a 4/5 and if those two take legit steps forwards - you are talking about them being a potential contender.  I take all the mean things I said a week ago about this front office back.  They have shown me with absolute clarity they have a real strategy / plan and I'm sure we'll see a few more nice moves over next few days (but obviously nothing as dynamic as Ball/Demar).  

I haven't been enamored with AK's moves up to this point, but this was a master class in operating over the cap to acquire quality talent; and something we never saw during the previous regime.  Who knows if the pieces fit and it leads anywhere, but it should be much more entertaining and help continue reshaping the Bulls' rep around the league.

This has been a really fun couple of days to be a Bulls fan.  The Bulls are terrible at being terrible and it has gotten them nowhere in recent years, nothing is guaranteed in the NBA these days.  

I really like both signings but I'm more excited for Lonzo than DD.  He's 23 and this will be his 5th year.  Last year, he played off the ball more with Zion being the main playmaker so his assists dropped but his 3P efficiency has gotten much better over the last 2 years.  He doesn't get to the line but he has shown improvement there as well....  This guy does nearly everything good except scoring and he's clealry putting in the time to get better, can't ask for much more.  If he keeps progressing there AND has the ball back in his hands at his natural position, he is a dark horse for an ASG at some point in the next few years with so many scorers around him IMO.  Pretty solid chance we can get close to Ben Simmons type numbers from him.  

And most importantly, they have assets which is great to have when it's working (to attract a star or acquire one by trade) and when it's not (to gain picks or other good players that may work better).  

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

wow hollinger absolutely tore it to shreds. I think he’s isolating the move a bit too much personally.

It is an overpay - but the way I see it - in the NBA - when you give a 3 year deal - you really are giving a 2 year deal - because the final year is always valuable as an expiring that can be leveraged to facilitate deals.  The money was definitely too much - but I don't see the Bulls doing anything other than operate as an over the cap team the next few years and their blue print is to leverage existing pieces and potential picks to go get stars (presuming this pans out and they are a good team).  So given the term the money probably isn't a huge deal (and if anything maybe paying a bit more here is purposeful because they figure Derozan is one of the pieces they will move in 1-2 years along with other younger chips (or picks) to parlay into a S&T (and/or mid-season move for a better, ideally star player). 

In a year - even without cap space - if there is a star player who wants to come to join the Bulls - they will be able to operate, just like they did this year as an over the cap team, and orchestrate FA sign and trades for whatever star (if one is there) who wants to join the Bulls.  I think the part people are downplaying is how Derozan the facilitator will help the bench unit out - because at this point you can run a variety of units and really shift the makeup of the team. I feel like Donovan will have a lot of options and defenses will have to really play defense against this offense (after years of basically Lavine and a bunch of chuckers).  

• Like 1

So take this for what it is worth - but someone that apparently has some sort of insider connection implied Bulls might be trying to get Siakam to play the 4.  I have no idea what for - presume it would be Coby and/or Williams plus whatever other contracts needed (or maybe it would be Lauri plus some of those). I assume not happening - but figured I'd post.  

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So take this for what it is worth - but someone that apparently has some sort of insider connection implied Bulls might be trying to get Siakam to play the 4.  I have no idea what for - presume it would be Coby and/or Williams plus whatever other contracts needed (or maybe it would be Lauri plus some of those). I assume not happening - but figured I'd post.  

That’s funny, Blogabull mentioned that yesterday.

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I would really worry about that mix even though he’s obviously really good. Though he never took off like I thought he would after 19.

It just goes back to having 5 guys then all between the top 20-35 in the nba. Who takes the step back to do the dirty work? 

At some point you need a variety of roles because that setup sounds like the 19 sixers except without they had a top 5 guy in embiid and a top 20 (I think 10 now) in Butler.

21 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Whiteside to the Jazz. Womp. 

More I read about Khem Birch, the more I think he fits what they need. 

at this point I wouldn't be surprised when we hear "chicago trades patrick williams, coby white and s&T lauri markannen for Karl Anthony Towns"

• Like 1