2021-22 NBA Thread

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

at this point I wouldn't be surprised when we hear "chicago trades patrick williams, coby white and s&T lauri markannen for Karl Anthony Towns"

That is probably what the bulls are thinking - replace towns with whatever disgruntled star that maybe wants to come to Chicago. 

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It is an overpay - but the way I see it - in the NBA - when you give a 3 year deal - you really are giving a 2 year deal - because the final year is always valuable as an expiring that can be leveraged to facilitate deals.  The money was definitely too much - but I don't see the Bulls doing anything other than operate as an over the cap team the next few years and their blue print is to leverage existing pieces and potential picks to go get stars (presuming this pans out and they are a good team).  So given the term the money probably isn't a huge deal (and if anything maybe paying a bit more here is purposeful because they figure Derozan is one of the pieces they will move in 1-2 years along with other younger chips (or picks) to parlay into a S&T (and/or mid-season move for a better, ideally star player). 

In a year - even without cap space - if there is a star player who wants to come to join the Bulls - they will be able to operate, just like they did this year as an over the cap team, and orchestrate FA sign and trades for whatever star (if one is there) who wants to join the Bulls.  I think the part people are downplaying is how Derozan the facilitator will help the bench unit out - because at this point you can run a variety of units and really shift the makeup of the team. I feel like Donovan will have a lot of options and defenses will have to really play defense against this offense (after years of basically Lavine and a bunch of chuckers).  

This.  100%.  DeRozan is still a good player and a 3 year deal is a fantastic length.  Worst case, that contract will be tradeable by next off-season and a great expiring contract the year after.  Also, to your point, it sets us up to have a perfectly tradeable asset/contract that doesn't take away from the core of the team if a star player becomes available.  Hollinger doesn't account for that, but having that kind of flexibility is pretty important in today's NBA with a new star player seemingly available every off-season.

Hollinger offered some fair criticisms in his article, but come on, fighting for the 8th seed and likely the 11th best team?  That's just dumb.  Also, if Hollinger was better at this job, he'd still be working for an NBA front office instead of The Athletic.  So while I appreciate his insight into the inner workings of front office, I don't take his word as gospel.

10 minutes ago, scs787 said:

The few reports I've seen say defense isn't really his thing so that's disappointing. Appears to be good in the low post offensively though so that's a thing. 

that's funny, I'm not as familiar but was just reading the opposite from twitter people that aren't writers or anything.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

that's funny, I'm not as familiar but was just reading the opposite from twitter people that aren't writers or anything.

I'm inclined to believe he's a mix of average. But yeah I remember that game when he destroyed WCJ and they were out both embiid and simmons and beat the bulls by like 50.

I heard people hype the guy we got from the Knicks (whose name escapes me last year) - so I'll hold all judgement until I actually see some of these back of the bench type of guys we are going to be signing. Or at least I'm assuming this isn't a big signing.  That said - i presume if he is OKC, Donovan would have coached him in the past.   

The fun part today is - if some star comes available, I'm not going to sit here and go, it is impossible to go get said player, we don't have the cap space or we don't have x or y.  I said that about a handful of really good teams - and somehow they were able to make it happen - and now with this front office - I feel like they will to.  

I do like Bradley's length and his per looks real good. Could be a small sample size thing, but he's young and long and purely off box score seems like a decent enough rebounder.  I can't imagine he's much different than Gafford. Maybe slightly different skillsets (Gafford was lob city) - but for vet minimum, seems like a no brainer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I was not at all interested in summer league - but I forgot Williams will be there and between Williams, Ayo and Marko Simonivc or whatever it is, the team is a bit more interesting than i suspected.  

I’m still a Devon Dotson believer, guys like him were pretty screwed with the pandemic changes

A 2nd unit of White-Caruso-Green(plz)-Markkannen-Bradley is not too shabby. Especially when you consider a few starters will be mixed in. 

Bulls are now 1 of 3 teams to have 3 players in the top 30 of whatever the "ESPN" rating/stat is. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

A 2nd unit of White-Caruso-Green(plz)-Markkannen-Bradley is not too shabby. Especially when you consider a few starters will be mixed in. 

Bulls are now 1 of 3 teams to have 3 players in the top 30 of whatever the "ESPN" rating/stat is. 

danny green would be incredible.

On 7/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, bmags said:

Zach Lavine joins team USA to learn how to play on a winner.

Team USA loses 3 of first five matches

Just a terrible post by emo bulls bmags from all of 2 weeks ago.

Zach has been playing his ass off on defense and got called out for it by KD this morning. USA headed to gold medal game.

Every time I start being a Zach hater I come crying back apologetically.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Just a terrible post by emo bulls bmags from all of 2 weeks ago.

Zach has been playing his ass off on defense and got called out for it by KD this morning. USA headed to gold medal game.

Every time I start being a Zach hater I come crying back apologetically.

Is a Zach/KD Chicago pairing possible at some point? 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

He's back with Philly. =(

Do the Bulls really need a backup 3? They have a very flexible roster. 

Ball/White/Caruso/Green
Lavine/Caruso/White
DeRozan/Williams/Brown Jr.
Williams/Markkanen
Vucevic/Bradley

I feel like the last thing the bulls need is another guard. If Williams is going to be at the #4 mostly, I still think we need another big even with Bradley added. There isn't a lot of rebounding/D there. What are the options for S&T with Lauri?

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Ball/White/Caruso/Green
Lavine/Caruso/White
DeRozan/Williams/Brown Jr.
Williams/Markkanen
Vucevic/Bradley

I feel like the last thing the bulls need is another guard. If Williams is going to be at the #4 mostly, I still think we need another big even with Bradley added. There isn't a lot of rebounding/D there. What are the options for S&T with Lauri?

Seems like there is no market for Lauri more lucrative than his QO so I'd guess he's back.