2021-22 NBA Thread

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Easy win...

They tried so hard to give this one away. I know Vucevic is sick and probably should not have played tonight, but my god he was awful in the last few minutes of the game. Toronto exploited his inability to defend and I'm not sure what Lonzo was doing on some of those inbound passes. This is a game they lose last year cause they definitely would have lost without DeRozan hitting some tough shots when nobody else could get anything to fall. The real schedule starts this weekend. I'll reserve my optimism until I see how they play against better competition. 

Tried giving it away at the end, but a win is a win. You can see the potential this team has. They've got 3 guys that can average over 20 ppg, a legitimate point guard, a 6th MOY type player, and a deep bench. If this offense gels and the defense keeps it up, watch out. Coby White will be a great addition on the bench. Perfect microwave type scorer to have in the 2nd unit. 

11 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Tried giving it away at the end, but a win is a win. You can see the potential this team has. They've got 3 guys that can average over 20 ppg, a legitimate point guard, a 6th MOY type player, and a deep bench. If this offense gels and the defense keeps it up, watch out. Coby White will be a great addition on the bench. Perfect microwave type scorer to have in the 2nd unit. 

Id rather the Bulls use White as a trade chip. Unless White has dramatically improved his shooting there just arent many times when White is going to be the guy you want taking shots. 

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Id rather the Bulls use White as a trade chip. Unless White has dramatically improved his shooting there just arent many times when White is going to be the guy you want taking shots. 

He shot 36% on 6.6 3PA last season. The guy isn't a bad shooter, and the potential is there. I think his overall FG% improves now that he isn't the primary point guard. Much less pressure will be on him. He's a scorer, not a point guard. Coming off the bench will suit him better.

What I thought they clearly missed is size and rebounding. They could use an athletic 6'10 player to put at PF. I wouldn't mind floating PWill to a rebuilding team if you could upgrade at PF. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ron883 said:

He shot 36% on 6.6 3PA last season. The guy isn't a bad shooter, and the potential is there. I think his overall FG% improves now that he isn't the primary point guard. Much less pressure will be on him. He's a scorer, not a point guard. Coming off the bench will suit him better.

What I thought they clearly missed is size and rebounding. They could use an athletic 6'10 player to put at PF. I wouldn't mind floating PWill to a rebuilding team if you could upgrade at PF. 

They need to see what White can bring in his new role first. Imagine if he becomes the next Jamal Crawford for this team, his numbers and percentages are comparable in their time in Chicago. 

Coby was born in the year 2000, he’s still got some developing to do but he needs to make a jump this year. 

Yeah I think you gotta see how things play out. There's def guard depth there that can make Coby expendable, but you gotta see how he plays in his new role. Caruso is extremely valuable, but he doesn't score. Being able to plug Coby in there with Caruso is gonna keep the offense flowing and guys fresh. I hope Williams develops some sort of "Killer instinct" and he still has the time to do it, but right now I think he's the guy I trade. 

Or...Thad Young becomes available for peanuts and you keep both. I think that's my ideal situation. He, IMO, is perfect for this team. Guys like KAT or Pascal would be amazing, but I'm not sure you need them. 

3 hours ago, ron883 said:

Williams is just too timid right now. Hopefully it is something he can develop. Still very young. 

He has not gotten a few lose balls which really irritates me.  Right now I think its more likely he is a very meh player but I hope I see some explosion / quickness in a week or two and this is more him still regaining his stamina from his injury.  That was a fun 3 quarters - brutal 4th quarter but to pull that out when Lavine wasn't at his best was awesome to see.  Derozan came up huge late and for a team that outside of that first game against Detroit has really not turned the ball over - was tough to see them start giving up the ball left and right down the stretch. 

Still - good lesson for the squad and always better when you learn in a victory than via a loss :)

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

They will need to find an athletic big that can play D and rebound at some point - but that should be doable (not great) but someone who can help against longer teams so they don't get crushed on the boards.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Reality is White, Williams, picks and one of the existing core pieces are probably getting dealt for a disgruntled star at some point to take this team next level (or some combination of that). Don't ask me who that star is - and no - not making that deal for Ben Simmons (nor are the Sixers).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I actually think you are right - and I've knocked White a lot - but I think he's in a much better place to succeed and build with this new roster. Having guys like Caruso, Ball, etc alongside him is going to take a ton of the pressure of being a primary distributor and put him in a place where he's going to get to be himself and he'll likely benefit with a few more open 3's just by playing with those guys too.  Donovan will have to use him like a microwave - when he's hot - you play him, when he's off, quick hook.  

19 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Yeah I think you gotta see how things play out. There's def guard depth there that can make Coby expendable, but you gotta see how he plays in his new role. Caruso is extremely valuable, but he doesn't score. Being able to plug Coby in there with Caruso is gonna keep the offense flowing and guys fresh. I hope Williams develops some sort of "Killer instinct" and he still has the time to do it, but right now I think he's the guy I trade. 

Or...Thad Young becomes available for peanuts and you keep both. I think that's my ideal situation. He, IMO, is perfect for this team. Guys like KAT or Pascal would be amazing, but I'm not sure you need them. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Thad come back at some point.  He'd be a great addition on the bench and geeze - the facilitation would only get better. Plus his relationship with Lavine is excellent and I think the coaching staff liked him a lot too.  

32 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Reality is White, Williams, picks and one of the existing core pieces are probably getting dealt for a disgruntled star at some point to take this team next level (or some combination of that). Don't ask me who that star is - and no - not making that deal for Ben Simmons (nor are the Sixers).  

If this team looks like a contender near the deadline, they have to do it. PWill still has some good value IMO. He was the 4th pick after all (albeit a weak ass draft). 

Siakam has a big contract, and he isn't a good enough 1st option (but is paid like one). Given his contract, MAYBE a combination of PWill, Coby, Portland's 1st, picks/swaps + expiring contracts could get it done if Toronto decided to rebuild. He really hasn't lived up to the contract. Lettuce dream about it...

Missed the fourth, sorta glad. Happy for Lavine that winning 4 games in a row stat is put to death.

I think this team kinda needs Coby in that second unit. Caruso, DDR, alize/green/djj/tbj don't have a lot of shooting. Especially where Caruso is lead facilitator and Coby can be a spot up shooter or get the ball at ends of breakdowns I think he adds a lot. He just wasn't a PG.

Pats rebounding numbers are so putrid. That's something that I'm concerned is either there or isn't. He feels like he's in Tony Snell territory right now, and I wonder if putting him in the second unit and putting more scoring demands on him wouldn't help.

One other interesting note on Thad Young, he's guarded Giannis more than anyone in the NBA surprisingly. I tried googling who is the best defender against Giannis and there was no real statistical answer, but Thad has guarded him the most and has had SOME success against him....With questions on Kyrie, I think the East goes through the Bucks again so getting someone that can really D up Giannis is gonna need to happen. Paw can probably do that but man, he's just so dang underwhelming offensively right now. 

I'm all in on trying to bring back Young.... Hopefully without having to give up White or Williams. Having those 2 come off the bench would be really nice.

39 minutes ago, scs787 said:

One other interesting note on Thad Young, he's guarded Giannis more than anyone in the NBA surprisingly. I tried googling who is the best defender against Giannis and there was no real statistical answer, but Thad has guarded him the most and has had SOME success against him....With questions on Kyrie, I think the East goes through the Bucks again so getting someone that can really D up Giannis is gonna need to happen. Paw can probably do that but man, he's just so dang underwhelming offensively right now. 

I'm all in on trying to bring back Young.... Hopefully without having to give up White or Williams. Having those 2 come off the bench would be really nice.

Thad was a DNP in one game for Spurs. Not sure why but maybe it all works itself out and he can be a low cost add at some point.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Thad was a DNP in one game for Spurs. Not sure why but maybe it all works itself out and he can be a low cost add at some point.

Thad's played all of 9 minutes this season. Dougie, albeit in 3 games, is a starter for the Spurs.

I'd definitely inquire about Thad.

Bulls need an interior defender. Not sure how they would handle an Embiid or Julius Randle in a playoff series.  

Past that, we need some 3 point shooting. You have to give Colby White a shot when he comes back to hopefully take the next step forward but if he's not the guy both him and Williams need to be dangled. You would think one of those guys + Derrick Jones get traded midseason.

Edited by raBBit

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Bulls need an interior defender. Not sure how they would handle an Embiid or Julius Randle in a playoff series.  

Past that, we need some 3 point shooting. You have to give Colby White a shot when he comes back to hopefully take the next step forward but if he's not the guy both him and Williams need to be dangled. You would think one of those guys + Derrick Jones get traded midseason.

The good news on point one is that come trade deadline, it is usually the most abundant thing to acquire. Hopefully bulls are performing well enough we think that adds a real edge.

For point 2, I think the other side is they just need to shoot more of them. Vuc/Ball/Lavine/Williams should all be launching more than they have. Caruso too. But it will be very important for Coby, he's such a good set shooter, we need to see caruso/ddr create those looks for him when he comes back.

Wonder if they Pacers would trade the Bulls Myles Turner. They've apparently tried trading him the last 2 years, but are probably asking too much. Elite rim defender who also shoots the 3 ball fairly well. 

I think I'd still rather have Thad for cheap, but Turner could be a really good get.

17 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Wonder if they Pacers would trade the Bulls Myles Turner. They've apparently tried trading him the last 2 years, but are probably asking too much. Elite rim defender who also shoots the 3 ball fairly well. 

I think I'd still rather have Thad for cheap, but Turner could be a really good get.

I don't see Turner being worth it with Vuc on the team, tbh. I think this offense can be really good when Vuc plays how he is capable of playing.