2021-22 NBA Thread

On 10/29/2021 at 5:25 PM, SoxAce said:

I heard his injury was a perilunate dislocation of his left wrist which is really serious. @ptatc is there a chance his career might be altered with this? I know that is the most serious wrist injury you can have.

I believe this will effect his passing, dribbling, etc. for the rest of his career. Thank god he shoots right handed though. 

Yeah I only trust a ptac update

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Man this team is fun!!! Derozan was such a good addition! 

That was a huge win. 

There was some stuff on bulls Twitter I agree with. Zach is awesome but he does tend to have incredible 2-3 minute runs throughout games where he piles it on.

DeRozan has provided a consistent scoring presence that has kept them consistently competitive throughout games. The last few years there would be huge runs against the bulls they couldn’t stop, and couldn’t overcome. He keeps them out of those holes.

But the real story has to be the defense.  It’s clear Ayo, Green and DJJ know their role on this team - be active, take risks and run the damn floor.

5 hours ago, bmags said:

That was a huge win. 

There was some stuff on bulls Twitter I agree with. Zach is awesome but he does tend to have incredible 2-3 minute runs throughout games where he piles it on.

DeRozan has provided a consistent scoring presence that has kept them consistently competitive throughout games. The last few years there would be huge runs against the bulls they couldn’t stop, and couldn’t overcome. He keeps them out of those holes.

But the real story has to be the defense.  It’s clear Ayo, Green and DJJ know their role on this team - be active, take risks and run the damn floor.

I'm loving the Ayo pick more and more.

55 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's honestly unreal how fast AKME was able to take this team from trash to a playoff team. I'm not ready to call them contenders, but they just beat a top team in the west pretty handily. 

The only non-AKME players on the roster are Zach and Coby.

Crazy turnaround time.

56 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Bulls looked dead in the water today down 19 in the third. They're probably gonna win by double digits. Crazy how good this team is. 

They were down big when I was following at work and they scored a few to get within about 11, I figured "oh, they're gonna make a respectable final score of it," went to the bathroom, checked the score on my way out to see they won by 14. WTF.

3 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I remember people (not necessarily here) clowning the Bulls for signing DeRozan but he's been a fantastic addition. Everything you'd hope to get out of a veteran, and he fits right in.

Hollinger basically trashed it as the worst signing of the offseason.

This tweet aged well: 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I remember people (not necessarily here) clowning the Bulls for signing DeRozan but he's been a fantastic addition. Everything you'd hope to get out of a veteran, and he fits right in.

I think with the new rules this year, DeRozan and his mid-range game benefit quite a bit just because the efficiency of the league goes down a bit without all the free points the refs were giving to the Trey Youngs and James Hardens of the league. Plus I think there's a lot of value in having a guy who's good in the mid-range late in games. Especially when the Bulls have had so many issues closing games last year. LaVine, as great as he is, really has not shown that he's a consistent 4th quarter scorer. DeMar brings stability to the team down the stretch.

What really bothered me with the DeRozan criticism from guys like Hollinger is that he's been an efficient offensive player over the past few years in SA. His TS% was almost .600 last year. It's not like he was scoring 20 points on 25 shots. You'd think he was Jalen Rose or Ron Mercer with the way some people ragged on him. 

Edited by chw42

38 minutes ago, lostfan said:

He's improved his three point shooting, at least from the corners, the rest of his game is still there, and he's looking for redemption here when he thought he was a Raptor for life.  They look like a different team than last season because they are.  Thanks to the new bosses.  Credit to John Paxson for basically firing himself.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I think with the new rules this year, DeRozan and his mid-range game benefit quite a bit just because the efficiency of the league goes down a bit without all the free points the refs were giving to the Trey Youngs and James Hardens of the league. Plus I think there's a lot of value in having a guy who's good in the mid-range late in games. Especially when the Bulls have had so many issues closing games last year. LaVine, as great as he is, really has not shown that he's a consistent 4th quarter scorer. DeMar brings stability to the team down the stretch.

What really bothered me with the DeRozan criticism from guys like Hollinger is that he's been an efficient offensive player over the past few years in SA. His TS% was almost .600 last year. It's not like he was scoring 20 points on 25 shots. You'd think he was Jalen Rose or Ron Mercer with the way some people ragged on him. 

I think there's some legit concern that the refs will end up not calling actual contact by a defensive player, but I really like the rule changes and it's improved the product so defenders won't be spooked into challenging shots or getting in front of a guy driving to the hole. Seeing Harden twist his body towards a defender, bump him, hear no whistle, then awkwardly throw the ball up into the general direction of the rim instead of attempting to score is refreshing, it was probably padding his scoring average by 5-8 ppg just by cheesing the rule exploit. That was hard to watch, I think they took note in FIBA ball watching Team USA have a hard time adjusting to not getting those calls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He's improved his three point shooting, at least from the corners, the rest of his game is still there, and he's looking for redemption here when he thought he was a Raptor for life.  They look like a different team than last season because they are.  Thanks to the new bosses.  Credit to John Paxson for basically firing himself.

Pax is sitting here grinning as he listens to jeers of "GarPax sucked ass" on the radio while he walks past AK in the Advocate Center and cashes "special advisor" checks.