2021-22 NBA Thread

I really think it's time to start considering Lavine as a superstar. Maybe he doesn't get looked at as one because his assists and rebound numbers are meh? 

From a scoring standpoint, I think he's a superstar. Stats say he's been one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA the last 2 years. 7th in scoring right now and he was 7th last year as well. Among guys in the top 20 this year, only 5 people have better FG%, Joker, KAT, Giannis, LeBron, and KD. The first of those 3 largely score close to the basket, and we'll the other 2 are KD and LeBron...same with last year, 5 guys in the top 20 finished ahead of him. Embiid, Giannis, Joker, Kawhii, and Zion. Outside of Kawhii, the other 4 live in the paint.....Then you look at his 3 point percentage as well. Last year Steph was the only guy in the top 20 with a better 3p% and that was by .2 points(42.1 vs 41.9). This year only KAT has a better percentage by a whole .3 percentage points. The guy is, at the very least, an offensive superstar, IMO.

DDR is playing at superstar level this year as well. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Just for reference, I will cheer for the Bulls against the Warriors, but will not be mad at all if that team wins it without the trophy seeking forward from their last run. Make it at least 6 games?

Very happy for Klay and agree with you. If it isn’t the Bulls, Golden State is high on my list of teams I would be happy for. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I really think it's time to start considering Lavine as a superstar. Maybe he doesn't get looked at as one because his assists and rebound numbers are meh? 

From a scoring standpoint, I think he's a superstar. Stats say he's been one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA the last 2 years. 7th in scoring right now and he was 7th last year as well. Among guys in the top 20 this year, only 5 people have better FG%, Joker, KAT, Giannis, LeBron, and KD. The first of those 3 largely score close to the basket, and we'll the other 2 are KD and LeBron...same with last year, 5 guys in the top 20 finished ahead of him. Embiid, Giannis, Joker, Kawhii, and Zion. Outside of Kawhii, the other 4 live in the paint.....Then you look at his 3 point percentage as well. Last year Steph was the only guy in the top 20 with a better 3p% and that was by .2 points(42.1 vs 41.9). This year only KAT has a better percentage by a whole .3 percentage points. The guy is, at the very least, an offensive superstar, IMO.

DDR is playing at superstar level this year as well. 

I love Zach and think a lot of stuff was unfounded, especially some of the defense when he had to carry the entire offense and that he was surrounded with absolute morons basketball wise.

That said, when DDR is out this team looks normal. Zach is super efficient but at same time he’s sort of in game streaky, he doesn’t press if it’s not there. That’s great.

But the bulls as long as they have had DDR have looked great. There is something to the superstar “eff you O can play my game no matter what” that I think is just a bit outside of.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:06 PM, Balta1701 said:

Just for reference, I will cheer for the Bulls against the Warriors, but will not be mad at all if that team wins it without the trophy seeking forward from their last run. Make it at least 6 games?

Can't fuckin' stand the warriors at all.  green alone is insufferable.  The kd signing was an embarrassment to basketball itself.  The smugness from kerr to curry on down rubs me the wrong way too. 

On 1/9/2022 at 1:41 AM, SoxAce said:

If Klay is 70% of what he was, ain't nobody beating Golden State in the playoffs (barring injuries of course).

I don't think they're THAT elite. Look at what the Heat have done without Butler and Bam. That's a scary team. Milwaukee and Brooklyn can't be counted out either. 

I thought that the name of Pistons' player Hamidou Diallo was familiar.  An unarmed man named Amadou Diallo was shot to death by four NYC police officers about 20 years ago.  Prolly a variant spelling of the same first name. The four were acquitted but the dead man's family still won a $3M settlement from NYC.

I can't wait to get Caruso back. This is going to be an intense stretch of basketball. Our last competitive run we still weren't sure what we had. Now we think we do so it's going to be nailbiting trying to hang on as long as possible.

We were such a bad matchup with Embiid in November, I am not looking forward to Giannis.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

I can't wait to get Caruso back. This is going to be an intense stretch of basketball. Our last competitive run we still weren't sure what we had. Now we think we do so it's going to be nailbiting trying to hang on as long as possible.

We were such a bad matchup with Embiid in November, I am not looking forward to Giannis.

Athletic, skilled bigs are gonna kill us.  I'm having trouble deciding between those two and Joker for my All-Star vote. All three?  What the hell.

4 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Athletic, skilled bigs are gonna kill us.  I'm having trouble deciding between those two and Joker for my All-Star vote. All three?  What the hell.

Athletic skilled bigs kill everyone. There is no answer for Giannis on any team.

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

The NBA should have just cancelled like 5 games per team. Putting this much basketball in a short stretch on (all) of these teams is just insane.  That or extend the season by 2 weeks - doesn't matter to me.  But the outcome they chose, in my opinion, was the absolute worst.  

16 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

You can have all three because they're in different conferences + there are three forward spots.

Right now Ibaka looks like he might be the best buyout option if the Clippers ship him out to somewhere like OKC. He has decent defensive and rebounding numbers on the season, so I wouldn't hate that. Other than that, you can try and get Covington / Nance from the Trail Blazers in a 3-team deal (Jones is the salary filler, so he needs to go to someone else).

Really hoping Pat comes back in time to get regular season games in.

*This isn't counting the pricier options, fwiw.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

You can have all three because they're in different conferences + there are three forward spots.

Right now Ibaka looks like he might be the best buyout option if the Clippers ship him out to somewhere like OKC. He has decent defensive and rebounding numbers on the season, so I wouldn't hate that. Other than that, you can try and get Covington / Nance from the Trail Blazers in a 3-team deal (Jones is the salary filler, so he needs to go to someone else).

Really hoping Pat comes back in time to get regular season games in.

*This isn't counting the pricier options, fwiw.

I have a really hard time envisioning Pat being a worthwhile contributor at all if he does make it back this season.  Conditioning, timing, knowing the system and his teammates, it's a tall order.  The sooner they can acquire some athletic size at the defensive end the better.  I don't know who that is, but it is the biggest issue holding this team back IMO.

36 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I have a really hard time envisioning Pat being a worthwhile contributor at all if he does make it back this season.  Conditioning, timing, knowing the system and his teammates, it's a tall order.  The sooner they can acquire some athletic size at the defensive end the better.  I don't know who that is, but it is the biggest issue holding this team back IMO.

I'm not expecting him to come be a 30 minute contributor. I just want a big body the Bulls can throw at opponents as needed.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm not expecting him to come be a 30 minute contributor. I just want a big body the Bulls can throw at opponents as needed.

Yeah, that's the best anyone can really hope for from him this season.  I just don't want the FO banking on that happening in any meaningful way and not addressing the hole between now and the trade deadline.  Or whatever deadline playoff roster eligibility ends.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:19 PM, scs787 said:

What makes a player a superstar? How many superstars are there in the league? 

That's a really interesting topic at the moment.  I think we're in a reshuffling period for our popular conception of NBA superstars, with the old guard of consensus superstars aging out and a big group of potential "next wave" superstars jostling for position.  As a result we're going to see teams winning that are going to "surprise" a lot of people because they lack a consensus superstar (even if they shouldn't be surprised, and even if their victory mints a brand new superstar). To me that's part of what makes this such a great NBA era. 

1) To me the only clear-cut consensus "superstars" in the league are:

Lebron

KD

Steph

Giannis

Kawhi (when occasionally healthy)

(I think Harden was on the edge of this list but is dropping out with the way he's being officiated.)

2) Then there are some guys who I think should be considered superstars but for whatever reason aren't broadly placed in that category yet.  Guys like:

Jokic

Luka

Anthony Davis

Embiid

3) Then there's a whole mess of guys who are in the conversation, and some of whom will be making the leap (along with some in tier 2) to superstar status in the coming years, depending in large part on how their teams perform in the playoffs.  This is where I think you slot Lavine and Derozan (who are probably heading in opposite directions on this list in the longer term), along with the likes of CP3, Jimmy Butler, Devin Booker, Dame, Paul George, Trae Young, Bradley Beal, Julius Randle, Donovan Mitchell, etc.

Lakers aren't winning it this year imo.  Unless the Nets, Warriors, or Bucks do, which is far from certain, you're going to see a team breaking that "no superstars" mold, and its star becoming a superstar.  Kind of like what happened with Toronto - they didn't have a superstar until they won, then all of a sudden they did.  You could say the same of the Bucks and Giannis, at least in terms of his status in the mind of the casual fan. 

1 hour ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Well Derrick Jones might be done for the season

McKinnie is getting his shot and he's absolutely blowing it. Bulls need a 4 and they need one badly right now. Without Jones and Javonte there's literally nobody to play that position.

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

McKinnie is getting his shot and he's absolutely blowing it. Bulls need a 4 and they need one badly right now. Without Jones and Javonte there's literally nobody to play that position.

I keep wondering where the burst of energy is that staves off big runs, then I remember there's no Caruso, Javonte, or Jones.

I miss them.