2021-22 NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m also skeptical that adding Grant puts this team over the top.  And if it doesn’t, you’ve probably burned your best trade assets for a guy that will likely bounce for a bigger roll/payday elsewhere. 

This is my take as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

This might be an injury that forces Jones Jr onto another team.  I believe his contract expires this year so you want to do something with his payroll / salary space (vs. letting it walk and losing that flexibility). Knowing he is out 2 months - it likely makes sense to dangle that expiring deal in a package to get you something you can use (sooner vs. later) - whether that is a 4 or something else. 

Yeah he's definitely an expiring asset now to a bad team. Him being out 2 months means you get nothing out of him until the playoffs and who knows how ready he'll be by then. He allows you to match salary for a lot of the mid tier trade candidates. 

13 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Congrats - I really wish Lavine somehow was starting too. He really has been so unselfish and welcome of Demar. Lavine will obviously be on the team though.

Chuck was so upset and calling Zach a snub. I love it. It will still be great having both of them on the team. Funny thing is if DeMar was classified as a forward, Zach is a starter and DeMar is probably Durant's replacement in the starting five.

11 hours ago, scs787 said:

Sun Times reporting there is belief PWill will return before the playoffs. If he can get his legs under him enough to be a KD/Giannis container that's huge. 

I'm glad you said container vs. stopper that people always toss around. We need a dude that can keep them to MVP numbers instead of monstrous games. 

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I'm glad you said container vs. stopper that people always toss around. We need a dude that can keep them to MVP numbers instead of monstrous games. 

Yeah no one's stopping those guys, we can only hope to contain them.

It's an extremely small sample size, but according to statmuse, KD, in 2 games vs Williams is only averaging 16/7/6. Again it's just 2 games but man, if he can come in and keep him around 20 a game, that's huge.....PW has one game against Giannis and he put up 29.

18 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Yeah no one's stopping those guys, we can only hope to contain them.

It's an extremely small sample size, but according to statmuse, KD, in 2 games vs Williams is only averaging 16/7/6. Again it's just 2 games but man, if he can come in and keep him around 20 a game, that's huge.....PW has one game against Giannis and he put up 29.

Still small samples, but:

Giannis Antetokounmpo has averaged 29.0 points, 12.0 rebounds and 8.0 assists in 1 game versus Patrick Williams in his career.

Giannis Antetokounmpo has averaged 30.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 6.8 assists in 6 games versus Jerami Grant since 2019-20.

Kevin Durant has averaged 26.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.0 assists in 2 games versus Jerami Grant since 2019-20.

Giannis Antetokounmpo has averaged 22.4 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 5 games versus Harrison Barnes since 2017-18.

Kevin Durant has averaged 29.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 5.6 assists in 7 games versus Harrison Barnes since 2017-18.

StatMuse is great: https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/giannis-stats-vs-jerami-grant-since-2020

Basically, I'm not giving up a pretty penny for Jerami Grant, but if I can get Barnes without giving up Coby or Pat (which I know may be tough), I do it.

31 minutes ago, Quin said:

Watch the Spurs run the pick and roll against the Bulls is painful

Vuc played trash defense as did the others. Pathetic overall defensive performance and real bad coaching not adjusting to that torching. Just a hard game to watch. 

Better clean that up. With that said - if they hit more of their wide open 3s they win that game. But three straight games with weak 2nd halves. 

• Love 1

I don't know one person who follows the NBA who looks at what Ben Simmons is doing and says "yes, what Ben is doing is realistic and achievable, and his approach to the situation is logical. This will definitely work and get him what he wants"

Dude is a pretty-good-but-decidedly-not-great NBA player who thinks he's got all the leverage of a cornerstone franchise type player.

14 minutes ago, lostfan said:

I don't know one person who follows the NBA who looks at what Ben Simmons is doing and says "yes, what Ben is doing is realistic and achievable, and his approach to the situation is logical. This will definitely work and get him what he wants"

Dude is a pretty-good-but-decidedly-not-great NBA player who thinks he's got all the leverage of a cornerstone franchise type player.

I never got the Ben Simmons hype either.

Simmons is good but not transcendent level talent IMO.  His lack of consistent shot will always hold him back.  Philly still seems to be asking the world for him in trade though, and no team should gut themselves to that level only to be left with Simmons and a shell of a roster.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Wendell's a different guy when he's not playing out of position like he did here.  Needs some 3 point work if he's gonna be a 2022 NBA 4.

I still don't buy that he's a PF. It's not like he's been that effective. He's putting up marginally better stats while on a garbage team. I don't think he's quick enough to guard the better PFs in the game. They would torch him. 

I have been so bummed about losing Caruso and Ball I’ve been mostly it’s watching the first quarters.

Its crazy how packed the East is. I just really don’t want to be in the play in.

It has also just destroyed my motivation for a big trade.

However if PWilliams hits, then suddenly you have Dosunmu and Him as really decent young talent.