2021-22 NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Chi Town Sox said:

A likely crappy ending for the Bulls season.  Ultimately, they ended at the 6 seed where many thought they'd land in preseason but the last few months were super disappointing.  Even though it's tough to spin the last half of the season, the management team did a really solid job in a quick turnaround to make most of this season exciting.  They know the holes...now go fix them.  I really wonder what will happen with Lavine, he was a killer until he got banged up the last few months, terrible timing in a contract year with the money he will get.  

Please find 3 point shooters 

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see what the Bulls do this offseason - but if I am in charge, first thing I am doing is finding a way to move on from Vuc, who was horrendous.  White can go too - he needs to be somewhere else and just lean in on Ayo and others.  Curious to see if you can get a late first for White or if you can package him and Vuc and something else creative to make things happen. 

They also HAVE to shift the offense. We can't just play Demar ball.  But it will be interesting - for all I know they will completely retool.  

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Will be interesting to see what the Bulls do this offseason - but if I am in charge, first thing I am doing is finding a way to move on from Vuc, who was horrendous.  White can go too - he needs to be somewhere else and just lean in on Ayo and others.  Curious to see if you can get a late first for White or if you can package him and Vuc and something else creative to make things happen. 

They also HAVE to shift the offense. We can't just play Demar ball.  But it will be interesting - for all I know they will completely retool.  

Unless they're getting a defensive monster, how're they upgrading from Vuc? Dude was top 5 in rebounding (total rebounds) and did well in the post (sixth best post scorer) - his three point shooting is what cratered. Take out Vuc and this team has two massive, massive holes and is probably taking on a horrendous deal.

What they need is to actually get another big man out there with him instead of Javonte Green for most of the season.

White can definitely go. What the team needs most of all is 3 point shooting, which Zo returning will help with, but they need it so badly on the wing depth.

Their entire bench needs to go minus Ayo/Caruso. Too much non-playable fat, too little shooting. TBJ, bye. Coby, Bye. DJJ bye. Tristan - fired into the sun. Javonte - Bye. Simonovic - why were you given a real roster spot. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Vuc for Gobert 

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This was along the lines of what I was thinking.  

This is what I was alluding to when I said defensive monster, but what are the Bulls possibly adding that makes the Jazz do this deal unless the Jazz want out of Gobert's contract?

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is what I was alluding to when I said defensive monster, but what are the Bulls possibly adding that makes the Jazz do this deal unless the Jazz want out of Gobert's contract?

I was more hoping Jazz wanted to move on from Gobert (Mitchell and him not a fit) so they are going to a plan B. Question is do you have a 3rd team introduced in the package.  You could probably take a shot and buy low on Towns - but obviously there are concerns with him giving his preference.  

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

I don't know, it's just been a thing people have been saying. This is the time of year where we just say "yeah I guess I'd be okay with Rudy Gobert" and then in July we'll be like "Yes, if we could just get Brook Lopez we'll be champions"

• Haha 1

Williams is gonna be training with DDR this off-season. Going through a program DDR learned from Kobe. 

Here's hoping there's a lesson in developing a killer instinct like Kobe had. Oh, and don't not shoot  pointers guys. 

Also, I like this. 

On 4/27/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I do not understand why some of you are so low on Pat Williams. 

He has no elite skills or measurements. Too slow for a SF, not great size or rebounding for a PF. His shot release is as slow as molasses. He has absolute zero "dog" or fight in him. I don't see much to get excited about. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

Gobert’s contract is gross.  Yes he’s a defensive monster but that much cap going to one side of the ball makes building a complete team incredibly difficult.  If the contracts were closer  even I would do Vuc+ for Gobert in a heartbeat, but I don’t know how you make a trade work with the Bulls cap situation.  Utah probably wants more value in return as well, but matching the money and getting value would be a challenge.  A Vuc trade for a defensive difference maker down low is very appealing to me though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ron883 said:

He has no elite skills or measurements. Too slow for a SF, not great size or rebounding for a PF. His shot release is as slow as molasses. He has absolute zero "dog" or fight in him. I don't see much to get excited about. 

When they drafted him, it was known to be a project.  He's 20 and with his injury, he's played a little over 1 full season of games so far.  He's got a lot to work on, maybe Derozan's bootcamp will help him.  He did seem a little lost with his role this year, how much of that had to do with his injuries (sprained ankle early and then wrist surgery), IDK.  

There was an article out recently that stated PW noticed Derozan's routine of shooting early and late into the night and how he treated his body every day and that PW started to mirror that.  Those are the types of things most like to see, somebody following a star and actually wanting to get better.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Gobert’s contract is gross.  Yes he’s a defensive monster but that much cap going to one side of the ball makes building a complete team incredibly difficult.  If the contracts were closer  even I would do Vuc+ for Gobert in a heartbeat, but I don’t know how you make a trade work with the Bulls cap situation.  Utah probably wants more value in return as well, but matching the money and getting value would be a challenge.  A Vuc trade for a defensive difference maker down low is very appealing to me though. 

I'm not sure how they can even get a trade going that works out money-wise. They'd have to include Vuc, Coby, and Patrick Williams just to get to Gobert's salary figure. Then when you have all that money tied up in one guy, there's no way you can sign guys who can shoot the 3 to help when DeRozan gets triple teamed. 

A trade for a guy like Jakob Poetl makes a lot more sense than Gobert. He may not be the defensive player Gobert is, but he will help massively over Vucevic. If you can get him for Coby and a FRP, I think you take that all day. Poetl is a good passer like Vuc, he just doesn't shoot the ball at all past the FT line. With how Vuc shot the ball in the mid-range and 3 this year, you really might not be missing much if you replaced Vuc with Poetl. Then you can try to off-load Vuc's expiring contract to get some 3 & D wings to make teams respect the Bulls offense around the perimeter. They can also sign somebody like Young, Boucher, or Covington with the MLE.

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

What can Vuc + Coby fetch in a trade?  I’m not super plugged into free agency, but any legit defensive bigs available in the MLE range?  Interior D + legit 3 point shooting does more for this team that whatever a declining Vuc does IMO. 

I was wondering WTF Doc Rivers was doing playing all his starters while up 29 with 4 minutes left. He should have taken them out long before that point. He deserves a ton of blame for Embiid's injury. What a massive mistake by Doc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo, what are we making of all the Lavine talk? 

If he does indeed want out, I hope they could swing a sign and trade.  Portland wants him, idk what sort of leverage they'd have, but could they get their first this year AND Simons or Jusef? 

Edited by scs787

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

Sooooo, what are we making of all the Lavine talk? 

If he does indeed want out, I hope they could swing a sign and trade.  Portland wants him, idk what sort of leverage they'd have, but could they get their first this year AND Simons or Jusef? 

With Zack getting $60 million more with us a S&T should be able to bring back something of value. 

I fully believe Zach will be back and am not going to get sucked into the Free Agency drama. If it falls through, I'll deal with my emotions then. He has every right to pursue what he wants after the first four years of his bulls career, but I think he stays.

• Like 1