2021-22 NBA Thread

27 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t think that is using the mle. 

They're splitting the MLE in 3. 

Looks like they can still use $7.3 million of the MLE if they want to since they used Jones' bird rights. I doubt they're gonna go into the tax though.

Edited by chw42

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don't know that this is sad - they are losing out to the defending champs.  Reality is they are stretched thin so they were never going to big players in free agency and will have to make more noise in the trade front. Sad will be if they really don't intend to go to the luxury tax (but I will point out - at this point - for the Bulls they need to get another true superstar by next year or they should rethink a few things).  That includes potential ability to land one in-season (i.e., Zion or when Lamelo Ball eventually tries to force his way into a major market, etc). 

I still think they should be in on Ayton or very aggressive on Vuc replacements....unless they think Vucwill take a step forward. Reality is Vuc and Demar are on wrong side of 30 so those are the type of guys they should be looking to flip to get better version of older players or to extend window/flexibility, etc.  

Don’t you mean the Warriors or Bucks in your first sentence?  Or just E.C?

23 minutes ago, chw42 said:

They're splitting the MLE in 3. 

Looks like they can still use $7.3 million of the MLE if they want to since they used Jones' bird rights. I doubt they're gonna go into the tax though.

They are using a little bit on Drummond but none on Jones. So they still have quite a bit to offer on MLE…but tax implications based 3M/yr. 

3 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Beasley has shown more than anything the Bulls have to offer. Kessler was a 1st round draft pick anddd they gave up 4 additional 1st rounders.

They gave up a lot, holy crap. 4 picks and they're all unprotected.

How far out can you even go with picks? This definitely sets the bar much higher than I think the bulls can go for KD.

Unless KD just somehow straight up strong arms the Nets and the rest of the league and says he's only playing in Chicago.

We already know he like the Sun's and Heat. Ayton and matbe even Herro trump what the Bulls can throw in as a main piece. 

TJ Warren should probably go somewhere where he will get minutes to show he's healthy, but if he's willing to come off the bench, that's my guy. Big time upside and options are dwindling.  

PG- Ball/Caruso/Ayo

SG- Lavine/White/Ayo

SF- DDR/Warren/DJJ

PF- Williams/Warren/Bo Cruz

C- Vuc/Drummond/Bradley

Dalen kinda redshirts.

5 hours ago, scs787 said:

How far out can you even go with picks? This definitely sets the bar much higher than I think the bulls can go for KD.

Unless KD just somehow straight up strong arms the Nets and the rest of the league and says he's only playing in Chicago.

We already know he like the Sun's and Heat. Ayton and matbe even Herro trump what the Bulls can throw in as a main piece. 

Well, fortunately for the Bulls, KD is pulling a Kobe-to-Chicago with the Heat:

Suns can build a package around an Ayton S&T or Mikal Bridges.

76ers have Harris as a salary match + any of their young guys, unsure of their pick situation.

Bulls convo starts with DDR or Vuc + Pat

7 hours ago, Quin said:

Well, fortunately for the Bulls, KD is pulling a Kobe-to-Chicago with the Heat:

Suns can build a package around an Ayton S&T or Mikal Bridges.

76ers have Harris as a salary match + any of their young guys, unsure of their pick situation.

Bulls convo starts with DDR or Vuc + Pat

Miami could still build around Herro. It sounds like they're about to sign him to a deal that could get them close to a salary match. 

I guess it all depends on what Brooklyn thinks of PWill and if they want to go for it and take on DDR or Vuc. 

23 hours ago, bmags said:

To me Drummond is a guy you get on vet min. As seen by: last 2 years. That doesn’t mean he’s unproductive, just that you don’t want him being immovable.

Using MLE should get you a legit add to the team, not incentives to get vet min guys you couldn’t recruit.

Did not expect this team to be maxed out after last year, but they really are tapped 

I hate the signing for this very reason.  To me Drummond is a vet min player, and using even part of the MLE is bad resource allocation.  It’s kind of all moot in the end since it looks like they won’t cross the tax line and are choosing not to use every available resource to improve the roster. 

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I hate the signing for this very reason.  To me Drummond is a vet min player, and using even part of the MLE is bad resource allocation.  It’s kind of all moot in the end since it looks like they won’t cross the tax line and are choosing not to use every available resource to improve the roster. 

I think they view this season as yet another let's see what happens kind of year with this core. Because if they're honest with themselves they know they ain't getting far in the playoffs unless both Lonzo and Zach are fully healthy AND they need either Williams/Ayo/Coby to take huge steps in development. I hope that's why they're avoiding the tax, so they don't start the tax process a year too early for little to no actual benefit. I feel like this org is fine paying the tax for a year or 2 but there's no way they're gonna pay a repeater tax. 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I think they view this season as yet another let's see what happens kind of year with this core. Because if they're honest with themselves they know they ain't getting far in the playoffs unless both Lonzo and Zach are fully healthy AND they need either Williams/Ayo/Coby to take huge steps in development. I hope that's why they're avoiding the tax, so they don't start the tax process a year too early for little to no actual benefit. I feel like this org is fine paying the tax for a year or 2 but there's no way they're gonna pay a repeater tax. 

It’s Vuc’s last year, and they’ll find out more how far this core can go with more legit depth. They are ducking the tax for no reason at the moment.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I see the logic there, but I neither like or agree with it.  As constructed they are another 1st round exit at best.  Running it back accomplishes little IMO.  Putting all of their eggs in the staying healthy or hoping Williams magically takes a huge leap baskets are both silly and shortsighted to me.  It’s a very GarPax sit on their hands off-season so far.