Sign in to follow this  
bmags

2021-22 NBA Thread

On 12/5/2021 at 12:08 AM, bmags said:

That is a bummer. We don’t even get bird rights so i don’t even know what’s available to retain if he is good.

I checked Sportrac and it seems like he'll be an early bird restricted free agent. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/cap/2023/

The Bird exception is for players who have spent three seasons with one club without changing teams as a free agent, but Early Bird rights are earned after just two such seasons. Virtually all of the same rules that apply to Bird rights apply to Early Bird rights, with the requirements condensed to two years rather than three. Players still see their Bird clocks restart by changing teams via free agency, being claimed in an expansion draft, or having their rights renounced.

I do not understand the NBA cap / understand why the Bulls just flat out hired a capologist.

29 minutes ago, Quin said:

I checked Sportrac and it seems like he'll be an early bird restricted free agent. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/chicago-bulls/cap/2023/

I do not understand the NBA cap / understand why the Bulls just flat out hired a capologist.

Oh hell yes!

I can't express how much nicer it is to be able to watch a young player develop within a competitive, disciplined team rather than in a mess of other young players trying to figure out their game. 

39 minutes ago, Quin said:

The NBA is so damn confusing in this regard compared to the MLB. 

18 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The NBA is so damn confusing in this regard compared to the MLB. 

I've grown to like it. I hated the max deal because once the tier was way too big. And the years restriction has definitely made things worse in terms of players holding teams hostage and being easily moveable at all times.

But star forced movement aside, I do like this system of being able to retain your own talent way over cap restrictions. Not a big fan of parody being achieved by cutting the legs out from great teams the way the nhl/nfl salary cap feels. The luxury tax is a big enough stick to have teams let go of talent that would push them into higher tiers (hello lakers, alex caruso), but if you are a true title contender you are fine going way over to keep your players - if they'll stay.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I've grown to like it. I hated the max deal because once the tier was way too big. And the years restriction has definitely made things worse in terms of players holding teams hostage and being easily moveable at all times.

But star forced movement aside, I do like this system of being able to retain your own talent way over cap restrictions. Not a big fan of parody being achieved by cutting the legs out from great teams the way the nhl/nfl salary cap feels. The luxury tax is a big enough stick to have teams let go of talent that would push them into higher tiers (hello lakers, alex caruso), but if you are a true title contender you are fine going way over to keep your players - if they'll stay.

The Lakers thing to me is cause LeBron is stuck in the 2010's superteam NBA. The current strategy needs depth to pair with 1 megastar + Robins  or 2 stars, but despite winning with that strategy, LeBron wanted to punt all that depth for...Westbrook.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

The Lakers thing to me is cause LeBron is stuck in the 2010's superteam NBA. The current strategy needs depth to pair with 1 megastar + Robins  or 2 stars, but despite winning with that strategy, LeBron wanted to punt all that depth for...Westbrook.

I think that is partially true, but I think Lebron deep down also just knew that he can't be the high usage player they demand he be with a bunch of role players like Kuzma, Caruso, etc. so that's where He probably thought I'll get westbrook, a guy we can just throw it to and tell him to go get it, a player I don't need to coddle about how hard to work.

But I think he was probably only thinking offensively. You now have this exodus of Lakers role players going to two different orgs and completely turning around trash defenses. Not sure they really knew what they had there, because the 2020 lakers won because of defense. But I think they left it with a  "star players cure all" feeling.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Boy does it make me feel old that we're now OK Boomering Lebron James 😂  Totally agree, though.  The Lakers roster is such a weird 2011 all-star team. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think that is partially true, but I think Lebron deep down also just knew that he can't be the high usage player they demand he be with a bunch of role players like Kuzma, Caruso, etc. so that's where He probably thought I'll get westbrook, a guy we can just throw it to and tell him to go get it, a player I don't need to coddle about how hard to work.

But I think he was probably only thinking offensively. You now have this exodus of Lakers role players going to two different orgs and completely turning around trash defenses. Not sure they really knew what they had there, because the 2020 lakers won because of defense. But I think they left it with a  "star players cure all" feeling.

Some of this is on Vogel - some of those role players were in the doghouse under Vogel for whatever reason (Montrez in particular).  I also don't think the Lakers not getting Caruso was a luxury tax thing. Westbrook in isolation for what you described wasn't bad - he is an alpha who plays his butt off every day, but he doesn't fit well with the other starters. You almost need him on the court when the bulk of the other guys are out - use him as that ultra energy in those windows where you need that offense - but in a more channeled way (but I don't think Westbrook is ready for that).  Could you imagine Westbrook as a 6th man - how crazy that energy / chaos would be in those more limited minutes (say 20-25).  

But Lakers big miss was moving so many pieces and ending up with such an aging roster.  It was evident when Bulls played them - but Bulls are probably the exact opposite of the Lakers in the sense that the Bulls are small-ball and athletic as heck so the difference in speed, etc sticks out like a sore them.  Against other teams it may be less noticeable but it will still be a massive achilles heal for the Lakers.  

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Boy does it make me feel old that we're now OK Boomering Lebron James 😂  Totally agree, though.  The Lakers roster is such a weird 2011 all-star team. 

He's done this for a long time now though. He's a win-now player and does not like dealing with young players not knowing what to do. Obviously he's not alone there, Butler and Wade big-timed young bulls roster and Butler did same in MN. But in Miami, where the org does such a good job controlling culture and getting young guys to understand what's expected - it doesn't come up.

But Lebron basically runs the orgs he's in where the energy is keeping Lebron happy, who likes to win and wants everyone to be 100% dedicated to winning but at the same time needs to take time off to ensure he can still go in playoffs - it's difficult to hold both of those. He's the biggest person in any org he's in, except when he was in the org of Pat Riley.

I hated Riley as a kid, but holy cow do I respect what he's built in Miami. And how he groomed Spoelstra to takeover to, and supported him. How he rebuilt Miami without ever tanking, how he's kept the org modern in fitness and player dev. Truly amazing stuff to be that good for that long. 

• Like 1

just got goosebumps thinking about last night's game. This is a hell of a team.

• Like 1