2021-22 NBA Thread

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The competition to be first is real between those 2. 

At least there are solid pieces going both ways in this deal (Sabonis is very good; Hield/Haliburton are solid as well).  I kept hoping somehow Sabonis would get sold on the cheap - that didn't happen.  

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I hope AKME do something before Thursday. Because even with Caruso and Ball, I'm not sure this team has enough to be a true title contender right now. Plus all these crazy trades is giving me some serious FOMO.

I love this team but this season has become extremely difficult to go for it. We may very well be a play-in team considering the top-strength of the division by the time we get back Caruso/Ball.

Our trade chips are often injured, our picks are rare. Supplementing the bench is about all we can do.  It's really hard to go all in when we aren't a #1 seed but maybe a #7 or #8 seed even if we are fully healthy at the end.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

At least there are solid pieces going both ways in this deal (Sabonis is very good; Hield/Haliburton are solid as well).  I kept hoping somehow Sabonis would get sold on the cheap - that didn't happen.  

I'd much rather be Indiana.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'd much rather be Indiana.

I honestly am intrigued - what if Bulls dealt Vuc now (I would have liked Sabonis over Vuc to be honest). What if they are looking at Spurs center and have a plan to dangle Vuc in a different package. I doubt it - but with this front office - honestly - you never know.  

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

I love this team but this season has become extremely difficult to go for it. We may very well be a play-in team considering the top-strength of the division by the time we get back Caruso/Ball.

Our trade chips are often injured, our picks are rare. Supplementing the bench is about all we can do.  It's really hard to go all in when we aren't a #1 seed but maybe a #7 or #8 seed even if we are fully healthy at the end.

That 1-11 vs top 5 seeds stat I saw has given me some serious pause on this team. I still think if you can trade guys like Troy Brown Jr. and Coby(who is a free agent next year I believe) you do it. I'm not sure I'm ready to go alllll in with the Portland pick and Williams.

Trading Vuc is an interesting proposition, but man, that feels hard to do for a team that has been in 1st place for a large portion of the year. 

9 minutes ago, scs787 said:

That 1-11 vs top 5 seeds stat I saw has given me some serious pause on this team. I still think if you can trade guys like Troy Brown Jr. and Coby(who is a free agent next year I believe) you do it. I'm not sure I'm ready to go alllll in with the Portland pick and Williams.

Trading Vuc is an interesting proposition, but man, that feels hard to do for a team that has been in 1st place for a large portion of the year. 

If they wanted to trade Vucevic, Domantas Sabonis would have been my target in a 3-way deal. Not a possibility anymore. 

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they wanted to trade Vucevic, Domantas Sabonis would have been my target in a 3-way deal. Not a possibility anymore. 

No, Vuc is much better than this team than Sabonis, who would demand space that Lavine/Derozan work in.

35 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I am not down on that stuff. This team is dramatically different than a year ago, and the reason it's so much better is it added some extremely high value players. When they are gone, we don't have the team chemistry to survive this much turnover. If you'd tell me what a bulls team led by Derozan/Lavine/Vuc with Matt Thomas playing 15 min a game would be I'd say like 38 wins? That's about what they are. It sucks, but I still think with a full team those guys are extreme difference makers defensively.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is where the whole not being able to edit on Twitter thing is just stupid.

I've always said Twitter should give you a 5 minute window to change things, then things are locked. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am not down on that stuff. This team is dramatically different than a year ago, and the reason it's so much better is it added some extremely high value players. When they are gone, we don't have the team chemistry to survive this much turnover. If you'd tell me what a bulls team led by Derozan/Lavine/Vuc with Matt Thomas playing 15 min a game would be I'd say like 38 wins? That's about what they are. It sucks, but I still think with a full team those guys are extreme difference makers defensively.

Almost all of their games against good teams have been with severe limitations in depth. They actually did very well against Nets (who have sputtered after losing Durant) - so the stat is inherently flawed there too. There is no denying we have been shellacked against the top 2 western conference teams + that ugly stretch in the losing streak - but outside of that I saw a team that was in almost every game against good teams, including having some pretty good wins against some of the more talented squads in the league.  

The thing is - I know there defense would drop off - but there is still no excuse for it to be this bad - not when the league is dealing with widespread injury issues (maybe not as bad as the Bulls - but with COVID (less now but earlier) and other things - everyone has had their fair share of issues.  

By the way -the reality is there is no way they are going to trade Vuc now - if they did - it would be in the off-season. They are not going to trade him mid-season when they are trying to extend Lavine in the off-season and have Derozan who is tight, etc. Reality is they will make some modest moves to improve depth and probably help the front-court while counting on getting their other parts back in time for the playoff push.  I figure after the playoffs - than the front office will reassess and than figure out next path forward as they continously look to optimize and upgrade the roster.  

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, for that kind of a price, I am pretty surprised that the Bulls weren't in on CJ.  I almost wonder if he gave Portland an ultimatum as to where he would go.

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly, for that kind of a price, I am pretty surprised that the Bulls weren't in on CJ.  I almost wonder if he gave Portland an ultimatum as to where he would go.

His salary precluded the Bulls from even trying.

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think another score-first SG is what the Bulls really need. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not a fit and luxury tax/payroll implications. But if it was a big - yeah, for sure.  I actually see why Portland did it - they want to free up their flexibility to try and lure better stars around Dame.  

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

By the way -the reality is there is no way they are going to trade Vuc now - if they did - it would be in the off-season. They are not going to trade him mid-season when they are trying to extend Lavine in the off-season and have Derozan who is tight, etc. Reality is they will make some modest moves to improve depth and probably help the front-court while counting on getting their other parts back in time for the playoff push.  I figure after the playoffs - than the front office will reassess and than figure out next path forward as they continously look to optimize and upgrade the roster.  

Trading Vuc now would be management admitting they made a huge mistake; something that management almost never does, according to Stanky's Theory of Human Resources.  Either way, they need some rim protection, preferably the kind that can shoot a 3 once in a while.

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like everyone is throwing out bulls trade acquisitions from west coast teams. This is a problem for me because I fall asleep at 9 and have no idea it Richaun Holmes is good 🤷‍♂

Never heard of him either. A quick YouTube and Google search makes me a fan. I woulda liked another stretchy guy who can shoot the 3 but Holmes looks like a good twitchy big who can get some bunnies in transition and protect the rim. 

At this rate, if the Kings want to be crazy (likely) and include picks to dump Bagley (as they're desperate to get rid of him) - would you do it? His rebounding is still good and while god knows I haven't watched any Kings basketball, Gentry was praising him for defensive effort this season. His advanced defensive numbers are about as good as you can get on a team like the Kings.

Holmes is definitely a better target for this season, but he's on a 4 year deal at age 28 while Bagley expires and if he works out, would probably be dirt cheap to both acquire and re-sign.

I'm not saying you do it, but just curious on thoughts.