8/2 Games

BamaDoc

So I think I'm okay to whittle down paying attention to DSL to just Randel Mondesi and Carlos Hinestroza since apparently norge vera isn't pitching. I would like to know if tha'ts injury related because choosing not to pitch a player for 2 years seems questionable.

Carlos Hinestroza is a RP there now but pitches like every day. He's 18 and was mentioned by badler. 

But 12.1 IP, 9 ks, 2 walks, 7 hits...good whip.

Hopefully he moves stateside.

Iml wish the team would take a different approach in the international free agent market. They're spending so much of their international money on older, mediocre prospects like Yolbert Sanchez and Yoelqui Cespedes. 

Edited by ron883

5 hours ago, ron883 said:

Iml wish the team would take a different approach in the international free agent market. They're spending so much of their international money on older, mediocre prospects like Yolbert Sanchez and Yoelqui Cespedes. 

I think everytime I try to really dive deep into a hot take on intl it's so hard because overall now...Yolbert looks like there is a good shot he becomes a MLer. Yolquie really did add power. So ... if you compare the ML production sox will look good, esp with Abreu etc.

But what we dislike about it also isn't wrong, it is causing depth issues.

I think what makes me most uneasy about it is currently the sox drafting and intl resembles the same strategy rather than being complementary. Some orgs now are relying on INTL to add the young, high upside position players while the draft they are adding more advanced skills for depth out of the draft. CLE is an example of this (however, not exact fit - they also add extremely young players through the draft).

Maybe you could say the sox are adding that more highly skilled depth out of Cuba since they are older and more likely to provide MLB depth. But the issue I have is if Shirley is going to use the draft to try and maximize top 50 guys on his board at the expense of more top 250 guys, and Paddy is going to use INTL to target 1-2 high likelihood guys at the expense of a larger class...then we have very little room for error. They just both have to be right which is unlikely no matter how good you are.

Yet - we also have to factor that Paddy during the penalty years may have added some real depth in Jose Rodriguez, Ramos, etc. In fact the post-penalty years have seemed far less helpful but we will see.

It's just a really complicated answer that definitely has successes but feels risky.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bmags said:

So I think I'm okay to whittle down paying attention to DSL to just Randel Mondesi and Carlos Hinestroza since apparently norge vera isn't pitching. I would like to know if tha'ts injury related because choosing not to pitch a player for 2 years seems questionable.

Carlos Hinestroza is a RP there now but pitches like every day. He's 18 and was mentioned by badler. 

But 12.1 IP, 9 ks, 2 walks, 7 hits...good whip.

Hopefully he moves stateside.

Apparently Norge Vera has some sort of minor injury 

• Like 1