8/3 Games

BamaDoc

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

More Randel Mondesi goodness: 3/4, double, homer, strikeout. The dreaded "triple short of the cycle." 

Always nice when the players have baseball lineage. His brother, dad. Had no idea that his dad Raul is currently in Dominican Republic jail for being a corrupt politician. 

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Hackenburg double, great night for galliland?

Yeah yolbert figured something out. Absolutely on fire since what, July or so

Do you think this is a fluke for Yolbert?  I remember defense was supposed to be his strength.  

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah yolbert figured something out. Absolutely on fire since what, July or so

I hate to be a Debbie downer but it’s been a pretty empty batting average that has been fueled by a .529 babip. Pretty unsustainable, although I have been encouraged by his overall performance this year.

Perhaps he’s the reason we were willing to send Madrigal away?

8 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

I hate to be a Debbie downer but it’s been a pretty empty batting average that has been fueled by a .529 babip. Pretty unsustainable, although I have been encouraged by his overall performance this year.

Well yeah I think his .500 batting average is unsustainable

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

I never knew 21-42 was unsustainable due to high  BABIP. I thought .500 batting averages were always sustainable.

10 hours ago, Sox80 said:

Do you think this is a fluke for Yolbert?  I remember defense was supposed to be his strength.  

So I was always skeptical that Yolbert would have enough offense to make it to the majors because his numbers in a watered down Cuba, as a 20 year old, were not good. His age 20 season in Cuba he hit .255/.299/.328. So the idea that he could be fast tracked to majors on his defense and that he had "gap power" all seemed far fetch.

To that extent, I'm just happy that he's shown much more offensive prowess since. He was old for W-S, so him doing well there was nice. Now he's made quick work of Bham, also nice. But keep in mind Yolmer Sanchez was a .300 hitter in AAA as a 20 year old, so these stats may still translate to a weak offensive player in majors.

But it's not bad news, it's good news. I thought he'd just wash out and would be a complete waste of money given how cheap defensive infielders are, but at least it looks like he may indeed become a cheap defensive infielder in mlb. Or traded. Either way much better than him just sucking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I never knew 21-42 was unsustainable due to high  BABIP. I thought .500 batting averages were always sustainable.

Moreover, since (ignoring SFs):

BA = babip (1-K%-HR%) + HR%

if you don't hit many/any HRs (he has zero in Bham), then babip >= BA

where the amount above BA is determined by your strike out rate (K%)

You really cannot hit X w/o a babip >= X.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

So I was always skeptical that Yolbert would have enough offense to make it to the majors because his numbers in a watered down Cuba, as a 20 year old, were not good. His age 20 season in Cuba he hit .255/.299/.328. So the idea that he could be fast tracked to majors on his defense and that he had "gap power" all seemed far fetch.

To that extent, I'm just happy that he's shown much more offensive prowess since. He was old for W-S, so him doing well there was nice. Now he's made quick work of Bham, also nice. But keep in mind Yolmer Sanchez was a .300 hitter in AAA as a 20 year old, so these stats may still translate to a weak offensive player in majors.

But it's not bad news, it's good news. I thought he'd just wash out and would be a complete waste of money given how cheap defensive infielders are, but at least it looks like he may indeed become a cheap defensive infielder in mlb. Or traded. Either way much better than him just sucking.

Right now my main hope is he turns into a nice trade chip. Birmingham is supposed to be where hitters go to die, so the fact that he's keeping his hot streak up is what's encouraging to me.

Also, his strikeout rate has gone down (again, small sample size) from W-S. He was 13.8% in A+ and is 10.4%, so he's making lots of contact.

5 minutes ago, skooch said:

Moreover, since (ignoring SFs):

BA = babip (1-K%-HR%) + HR%

if you don't hit many/any HRs (he has zero in Bham), then babip >= BA

where the amount above BA is determined by your strike out rate (K%)

You really cannot hit X w/o a babip >= X.

I was being sarcastic. I don't need BABIP to tell me hitting .500 is unsustainable or .400 or even .300 for most players.

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was being sarcastic. I don't need BABIP to tell me hitting .500 is unsustainable or .400 or even .300 for most players.

I know you weren't being serious, but some people are surprised when a high BA is fueled by a high babip. The point was, that unless you hit a lot of HR, a high BA will always be fueled by a high babip.

49 minutes ago, Quin said:

Right now my main hope is he turns into a nice trade chip. Birmingham is supposed to be where hitters go to die, so the fact that he's keeping his hot streak up is what's encouraging to me.

Also, his strikeout rate has gone down (again, small sample size) from W-S. He was 13.8% in A+ and is 10.4%, so he's making lots of contact.

Would be really interesting in his case to see what his exit velocities look like.

51 minutes ago, Quin said:

Right exactly, him failing at birmingham has less to do with power nad more to do with not being able to make contact with the increased stuff and approaches. But so far so good, really good.